1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Clear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mtoc, Oct 1, 2017.
First

Back
407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416
418 419 420 421 422 423 424
Next

Last
  1. treebug
    I think you're going to find them similar. I'm very fussy when it comes to comfort and much prefer the Senn's larger ear cups. I may have purchased the Focal's if not for that.

2. mikaell
    Comfort was exactly the reason i looked into the HD800 series in the first place, only bought in with the 800S though. - Not the design.. though i much prefer the Focal's design.

Curious how these sound with my Woo WA8... Anyone else has this combination? WA8 + Focal?

3. Blotto80
    Funny enough, I just received my Clear last night after having the HD800S for the last 8 Months. Initial impressions are pretty positive and I've got the HD800S up for sale.

Clear +
    - Very dynamic. A much more engaging sound than the HD800S. Most likely due to more mid-bass.
    - Treble is smoother. Even with the tamed 6khz peak, the 800S can still be a touch bright at times and really benefits from EQ.
    - Detail is similar. No real loss of resolution.

HD800S +
    - Soundstage. The expansive HD800S soundstage cannot be beaten. This provides a bit of a "speaker-like" quality compared to most other headphones.
    - Comfort. The HD800S weighs nothing compared to the Clear. The 800 has no pressure points and barely feels like its on your head. The Clear exerts some pressure on the top of my head, not really "uncomfortable" per se but definitely noticeable.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked on the Clear and the additional weight to the sound does put them ahead of the 800S for my tastes.

KingCharizard, bidn, THGM and 3 others like this.
  4. mikaell
    Thanks for your review, enjoy your Clears!

5. pataburd
    Not for me.
    The Clear definitely sound tipped up and less resolved in the midbass, compared to the Utopia, for my ears
    The Utopia are more than " a bit more resolving" as well.
    The Clear always sound great to me . . . that is, until I swap in the Utopia.
    : )

bidn and up late like this.
  6. Mani ATH 87
    I'm happy for you.

I still prefer the Clear though, and even the Elear in some cases. The Utopia just isn't my taste. Regardless of what you think, I didn't hear a great deal of difference in resolution between the Utopia and Clear. The Utopia is too harsh in the treble (there's a bothersome peak for me) and it's not enjoyable with poorly mastered recordings. The Clear is much better all around headphone experience and like I said, the tonal balance is unsurpassed. It's one of the most balanced presentations I've ever heard from a headphone.

I've spent a great deal of time with the Utopia trying to decide if I wanted it and it's just not for me. It's a brilliant headphone though and I'm glad you enjoy yours.

7. dontfeedphils
    +1

Not even close in terms of resolution to my ears as well. FR and tonality are obviously personal taste, so no point in arguing that.

bidn and up late like this.
  8. Mani ATH 87
    The Clear is maybe the first headphone that I haven't wanted to use any EQ with.

I usually look to Oratory's measurements and EQ based on the Harman Curve, but with the Clear...I like the FR as is straight out of the box. I love the tonal balance of these headphones and EQ just changes that balance too much. Focal did an incredible job with tuning on these headphones. They aren't the most "fun" sounding headphone I've heard, but they reproduce a great sound signature where everything is aligned almost perfectly. This really makes them a great sounding headphone with almost everything.

bidn likes this.
  9. up late
    i'm happy for you

dontfeedphils likes this.
  10. lazner
    Does anyone use the Clear EQed? I was playing for a while with various EQ settings apart from Oratory1990’s and could not really improve the SQ per subjective listening impression. Lowering the peaks / increasing the dips from 2200 to 7500Hz also decreased the perceived detail resolution. Anyone had better results EQing these awesome cans?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  11. Mani ATH 87
    I don't see any need to EQ the Clear, think the sound signature is great as is. I always look at Oratory's measurements and settings with my headphones and I usually like them, but I prefer the Clear without EQ.

His settings definitely give them more sub bass, but they push back the mids, treble a bit too much for me and it has a negative impact on the tonal balance - which I think is one of the Clears best features. If you find the Clear too bright and too bass shy the settings might be what you are looking for though.

lazner likes this.
  12. lambdastorm
    Anyone tried fitting their HD650/600 in the Focal carrying case? I got a really good deal on the case but don't know if my HD600 would fit in that case.

13. Mh996
    A little snug but my 650 fits just fine

14. Ojisan
    My 600 fits just fine. You do have to shorten the headband to minimum though.

15. lambdastorm
    Thanks for the input! I'll grab one.

First

Back
407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416
418 419 420 421 422 423 424
Next

Last