Focal Clear headphones
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #5,913 of 12,543
If you intend never to sell your Clear then it doesn't matter.
But if, down the road, you decide to sell your Clear, you will always get a better price if you sell the package like it came. Even the original packing will increase the price.

Sure, I'm happy to accept that but I'm wondering what position I'm in if the Clears develop a fault and I need to use my warranty.

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #5,914 of 12,543
Thought these Inner Fidelity generated plots might be of interest in this discussion: I look at the impulse response, then the 30 Hz and 300 Hz square waves, in judging how quickly the headphone's transducers respond to the given input. I am not aware of any other source for those types of things other than Tyll Hertsens, and worry that information such as this will now be lacking altogether in mainstream audio media. His test rig had been removed, and his replacement doesn't have one. Anyway, I feel that the plots for both products are better than for a lot of headphones, but that the LCD-X is the winner in terms of speed. I do read often about how bass sounds different between a planar and a dynamic headphone.

I had compared the LCD-X and the Clears back to back in January, and though I had listened to neither of them for hours at a time, felt that Audeze's bass is hard to beat (figuring that the large weight and size of those units means that they have large magnets which would contribute to producing deep, clean bass). I had sold the Clears for the following reasons, though their level of detail had been astonishing:

- I prefer closed back headphones for most rock music, tolerating higher distortion and less detail to get more solid bottom end at the price point of mine
- I found that the Clears have a cold, metallic signature, and my alternate headphones with their plastic drivers don't have that, they are warmer in comparison
- Clears can be fatiguing with some recordings as I feel that they have a lively upper midrange (but not a sibilant treble), while others sound more "dark" in comparison
- I found Clears had an average soundstage at best, and not as good as any of the Audezes or the more expensive Sennheisers
- I had disliked Focal's pretentious packaging and cables during my recent work related relocation: they seem to be doing their best to present their product like a piece of jewelry, little of it affecting the sound: I also am not a believer in the current "balanced sounds better" craze, and use single ended connections for everything.

I'm not getting into the DAC comparison, as I have only Amir's numbers available to me, but feel that distortion of the Audio-GD, if any, would manifest itself equally for both headphones. I do realize that IMD is more unpleasant to listen to than the even order harmonic distortion that tube amps have.

Sorry, phthora,
but I am writing some things you will probably not like.

I saw more than a dozen pages back that you made a similar comparison between the LCD-X and the Clear. Someone wondered about which DAC you were basing this comparison on, and you mentioned your Audio-GD.

I didn't have time to reply then, I am trying to do it quickly now .

Your impressions from then and from now seem very strange to me because for me the Clear leaves the LCD-X completely in the dust re. speed and resolution, and the more so with demanding tracks (e.g. "extreme" metal with many instruments at full speed), e.g. using my RME ADI-2 Pro DAC amp. I think most people would agree that the Clear (and likewise the Elear, Elex, etc.) are much faster and resolving than the LCD-X (which I find BTW too slow for metal in general, but I like the LCD-X when l have a headache as I find them much more " forgiving").

Then I saw you were using that Audio-GD device.
I think this explains the differing impressions.
On the Audio Science Review (.com) site, many DACs have been measured. One essential measurement in the SINAD (measuring the quality of the signal output re. noise and distortion, wikipedia can be checked re. the SINAD) produced by the AP ( reference audio analyzer).
Now the Audio GD 28.38 has not been measured,
but the 28.28 has and it has produced the worse SINAD of all measured devices,
bidn

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-X curves.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Focal_Clear_curves.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #5,915 of 12,543
Reference Audio Analyzer has impulse response measurements, as well as other measurements, though they're missing THD for some reason. Their FR compensation curve is a bit weird and doesn't line up with what I hear but it's still another data point. Scroll down to the "reports for a pro" section for full measurements.

There has been considerable skepticism is regards to Amir's numbers or methodology. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #5,916 of 12,543
My Clear Pro 'phones are well past the 100 hour mark now, (if you don't accept mechanical break-in as a factor, you can stop here lol :) and the sound better than ever. They continue to open and bloom, soundstage is larger, still not what I would like but more than an acceptable trade off when you consider the copious amounts of fine detail. And not just for the sake of detail. It is BEAUTIFUL musical detail that make me listen to well known tracks over and over and over again.

Oh and back to break-in. I didn't like the sound of the Clear, or at least I didn't hear $1500 worth of headphone at first. Then things started to change for the better. Not that this is in any way a scientific analysis, but, I put the headphones down for three weeks while in Europe cruising the sea. When I came back, my ears/mind of course had a chance to completely reset. Aural memory is very short, and I was not sure what the expect the first time I listened again.

My 'second first' impression was totally different. Sound was incredible. An interesting experience that would seem to give a degree of legitimacy to burn-in before critical listening.

To each there own, though. I can say without any doubt, though, these are the dang finest and most enjoyable cans I have owned.

(The RME DAC doesn't hurt things either. Great, great match for the Focal Clear)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #5,917 of 12,543
I have no need for the 6.35mm or balanced cable that came with my Clears. If I were to sell them, would I void my warranty or otherwise cause complications for myself besides resale value?

You’re using a third party cable or just the mobile cable? If the latter you’d be absolutely fine, if a third party cable I also think it highly likely you’d be fine. But the answer would be in the paperwork that came with the headphone.

I sold my balanced cable, but the 6.35mm I’d personally keep for resale.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #5,918 of 12,543
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #5,919 of 12,543
You’re using a third party cable or just the mobile cable? If the latter you’d be absolutely fine, if a third party cable I also think it highly likely you’d be fine. But the answer would be in the paperwork that came with the headphone.

I sold my balanced cable, but the 6.35mm I’d personally keep for resale.

I use the mobile cable (assuming you mean the one terminated in 3.5mm). All I'm concerned about is selling those other two cables and impacting my ability to make a warranty claim should something go wrong

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #5,920 of 12,543
I use the mobile cable (assuming you mean the one terminated in 3.5mm). All I'm concerned about is selling those other two cables and impacting my ability to make a warranty claim should something go wrong

I can tell you my experience with another manufacturer, Audeze. One of my drivers broke and they never asked anything about cables. I just can’t see any situation where they’d consider the lack of cables important. You could’ve just lost them, that wouldn’t void a warranty of the headphone itself.

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #5,922 of 12,543
Oh and back to break-in. I didn't like the sound of the Clear, or at least I didn't hear $1500 worth of headphone at first. Then things started to change for the better. Not that this is in any way a scientific analysis, but, I put the headphones down for three weeks while in Europe cruising the sea. When I came back, my ears/mind of course had a chance to completely reset. Aural memory is very short, and I was not sure what the expect the first time I listened again.

My 'second first' impression was totally different. Sound was incredible. An interesting experience that would seem to give a degree of legitimacy to burn-in before critical listening.

The bolded seems contradictory. You listened to the headphones, took some time away from them, and they sounded better when you returned to them. That's strong evidence that your ears/brain changed rather than the headphones physically burning in.

May 1, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #5,923 of 12,543
Hi all, as the proud new owner of Focal Clears, I thought i'd chip in with my experience in case anyone is thinking about buying them:

Where I came from
I started with a pair of HD650 paired to a Woo Audio WA3 with Tung-Sol 5998 / Mullard tubery
The last 3 years i've mainly used IE800s through a Dragonfly Red DAC/Amp
(these two gave me portable-clarity and armchair warmth each, I felt with this combo i'd cracked the
price/performance balance and had the best of all worlds ... time to dream bigger!)

Buying Criteria
I wanted an upgrade to the HD650/WA3 combo that was a bit more accessible. In an ideal world it was a full-sized
open-back headphone that I could have "on the go" without spending twice as much on an amp/dac, phone stack etc.

Researching
The obvious upgrade was HD800S and a fairly portable amp/dac combo, but given I have some IE800s, reading the reviews
it felt like i'd not get much more for the money to meet my requirements I i'd be best off leaving the HD800s for when I can
really push the boat out on an armchair setup or disregard them for a Stax budget.
Anyway, I love the warmness of the HD650, the lushness, like hot chocolate for your ears. I wanted that, but better. A mix
of IE800/HD800 clarity and the HD650 warmth without an expensive amp requirement that I could plug in to my phone.
When I started researching it felt like I was asking for the world and all i'd get was compromise. Chasing a personal holy grail
that doesn't exist. Then I came across the reviews of the Focal Clear, and it seemed to good to be true.

Demo Day
After a year of reading reviews etc, I'd narrowed my choice down to HD800 with a moderate amp, knowing they'd scale
and ... Focal Clears. The amps with was my existing WA3 (and a 7236 to try), Dragonfly Red, a Chord Hugo 2. It wasn't
the best amp/source smorgasbord but it'd do. I spent a while listening to my HD650s and IE800 to have a clear comparison
then moved on to the Clears. I didn't immediately fall in love with them, their sound felt ... odd ... there was obviously the clarity
but with such forward mids and recessed highs, the presentation felt bizarre. It felt like cymbals and hi-hats were a mile away
while a guitarist thrusted his riffs right down my ear hole. It felt like I wanted to just shove some of those mids back and tell
them to chill out so I could catch the tone of the cymbals and strings. It was at once claustrophobic and spacious.

I popped the HD800s on through the Hugo and it was immediately obvious they were superior. More than that, they were familiar.
They didn't feel like anything new. They sounded like my IE800s in balance, tone and presentation but ... bigger. They were exactly
what I expected.

I decided to try and understand the presentation of the Clears, so an hour of every genre of music helped me pick apart what they
were trying to do. By the end of the session, I was enamored but wary. £1300 is a lot of money for me. The clears HATED my WA3,
but got on very well with the DragonFly red. The Clears were delivering everything I wanted, but I felt reserved because the sound
wasn't the Sennheiser signature I was used to.

Pro tip: When demoing don't pause your music for a quick A/B test when you've just been listening to a high impedance headphone,
swap in low impedance headphones then press play without adjusting the volume. That 300Ω vs 55Ω nearly deafened me as the HD800s
were being driven pretty hard by the Hugo at the time I swapped. WHAT AN IDIOT.

I left the shop with sore ears, a pair of clears and needing more than a few beers.

Some Listening Notes
I mainly listen to metal, pop, electronic, singer/songwriter acoustic and some classical. Basically anything but jazz. My listening notes reflect my preferences

Periphery - Lune, Marigold, Reptile
Here the difference between the Senn sound and the Focals comes through. Very forward in the guitars and bass, the highs of the cymbals are pushed right out and emphasis is lost. It's a very opinionated reproduction of these tracks. I know these tracks were mixed through HD800s so that may explain the synergy being a bit lost.

George Micheal - Careless Whisper
Crank up the cheese! This sounds amazing through the Clears. Tracks like this make them shine. Everything has space without being so separated that it loses cohesiveness. Pretty flawless to my ears.

Beth Rowley - Forest Fire
This is one of my go-to tracks for vocal tone. I want to hear the backing vocals without them intruding on the main vocal. I want to hear the lowest bass notes and the sibilants in her voice with clarity at all times. More than that, it has to feel liquid and natural. I don't want any crystalline sense to her voice. The reverb needs to be clear and not push forward. Her lisp on the "s" of "desires" should be shrill and pin-sharp. You can hear the shape of her front teeth, it has character.

MGMT - Of Moons, Birds and Monsters
Mixed feelings here. The fast response of the Clears seems to take the "sponge" out of this song, things are sharper and have more slam in places that sound fatiguing such as the snare drum. The crescendos lack finesse and are a bit brutish. Similarly, the mid-section breakdown bass guitar doesn't sound as percussive as it should. The hi-hat is a bit shrill and there's a general sense of the sound being overwhelmed. It's not muddy or foggy, but it isn't totally enjoyable.

Nina Simmone - Sinnerman
Epic. The bass is incredible, there's notes in there i've never heard before and that the IE800s miss completely. The detail is just ... mind bloggling, there's so much that "squinting your ears" just finds more and more. There's a whole, entire, universe coming in through your ears. There's a real sense of the people, time and place the recording came from.

Lou Reed - Perfect Day (original master)
The whole track is rendered with sympathy. This track really shows off the positives of the Clear's colouring. Bad bit, the floor tom on the right channel is so emphasised that is is jarring and pulls you out of the scene, that is annoying but the clarity of the piano soon means that's forgiven. The buildup the the chorus lack a bit of slam and drama, not sure why. That right channel floor tom tho, the emphasis can be felt through air movement. Maybe my ears are a bit tender in this frequency but it is fatiguing and i've never experienced fatigue outside shrill highs.

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
Looking for good slam and a soulful transition on "...well now dont ..." in the opening part. Didn't get it, felt unsatisfied. The clarity, imaging and bass extension are bang on tho.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose
Absolutely beautiful. Can not fault the Clears on this one. They really prove their value in tracks like this.

Purity Ring - Lofticries
This sounded excellent, great bass response. Not sure why this sounds so good but some of the required transition/slam in other tracks is lacking. Hmmm

Ray LaMontagne - I Still Care for You
Space test. Pretty lovely, but the forwardness of the guitar is a bit hand-wavy. The forward mids can test the patience.

The Mars Volta - Son et Lumiere + Inertiatic ESP
A big test for me, I know this track inside-out and upside-down. The intro is warm and draws you in as it should, the vocals are metallic and the effects are clear. The detail here is amazing. Breaking in to Inertiatic ESP I crank the volume down a bit ... this shows the mid-forward nature of the sound but also the superb way in which vocals are rendered. The hi-hat of Theodores drums is pushed back and loses center stage to the keys thrusted down my right ear like snooker queue spanking a ball. The detail is all there, but in the "wrong" place. The saving grace here is the sense of smoke in the air drawing everything together, there's little empty space but plenty of air. Pretty good, but highlights the lack of neutrality in the Clears.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Receipt
Oddly, a metal track that sounded amazing. This adds to the mystery of these headphones falling over with a lot of metal.

Summary & Disclaimer
The Focal Clears shine with well produced pop, anything where the low-mids are not over saturated because it feels to me like it overwhelms things. A balanced track balances these headphones, something with loads of distorted guitar causes the rest to get lost. I have spent a long time with exclusive IE800 IEMs so I may have forgotten what full-bodied mids sound like.

Living with the Focal Clears
Once my ears stopped hurting, I listened and listened and listened. They still sound odd, but the more I listen the more I hear exactly
how amazing these things are. The clarity and imaging are amazing. Yes, the mids still feel a bit pushy and the highs are a bit spacious
but the detail is there ... as is, more importantly ... the FEELING. They are warm, cozy and colored but they also delivery bags and bags
of detail without too much muddiness. Better yet, they are driven well with my phone, laptop and Dragonfly. They're, for me, ideal.
I admire what they're trying to do and how they do it, and for the price they do it at. Did I quite get the holy grail I wanted? No, if I could
do anything i'd make the imaging a bit "flatter", but it's a gripe. They don't take themselves too seriously, and nor should I take them
seriously. They're fun, engaging, warm and easily driven without sacrificing detail. My criticisms are because of my baggage, having
had IE800s in my ears for three years, 8 hours a day. The more I listen to the Clears, the more we make friends. I am sure it'll be a
long and wonderful friendship too!

Other stuff
The build quality, accessories and weight are spot on. They're comfortable for long periods.

Bad stuff
The pads seem like they will absorb hair products and head oils way too much and the headband's underside is alcantara or something
that doesn't seem replaceable. I wear hair products and don't want this to become an issue, not when replacement ear pads are £200!
Also, while the cable connection to the headphone is robust, I worry that "one too many beers and bongs" me will scratch them up inserting
the jacks. We shall see.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5,924 of 12,543
Bad stuff
The pads seem like they will absorb hair products and head oils way too much and the headband's underside is alcantara or something
that doesn't seem replaceable. I wear hair products and don't want this to become an issue, not when replacement ear pads are £200!

I cut an old t-shirt apart to obtain a strip of cloth and wrapped it around the headband and fastened the ends with a bit of tape.
To use non replaceable Alcantara as a headband might look fancy, but it will soil very quickly.
Whenever my piece of headband protection looks dirty, I cut myself a new piece.
Or you can buy yourself some fancy headband protection on Ebay.
The earpads are removable, so whenever they look too dirty, I wash them in a mild soap solution and will eventually swap them out with aftermarket pads.

May 1, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #5,925 of 12,543
I cut an old t-shirt apart to obtain a strip of cloth and wrapped it around the headband and fastened the ends with a bit of tape.

I mean, that's just what you want to be doing with £1300 headphones! I might cut up a pair of tights. I worry about washing the cups affecting the dampening properties of them.

But yeah, the headband is a joke, even if it is as comfortable as the thighs of an angel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back