1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Clear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mtoc, Oct 1, 2017.
First

Back
227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236
238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247
Next

Last
  1. x RELIC x Contributor
    @franz12, could you expand on your thoughts beyond ‘no good’. As your opinion differs from many others it would be helpful to know what you mean.

Edit: With the Clear (this is the Focal Clear thread)?

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. doraymon
    And it's very welcome especially when it's not aligned with the crowd, as @x RELIC x said, and it's detailed enough.

3. ubs28
    The Hugo 1 is extremely good for the price. I didn’t hear much difference between a full Auralic Vega + Auralic Taurus MKII stack (so around $5000). I also saw no point of buying the HDVD 800 in comparison to the Hugo 1 at all which actually sounded worse with certain headphones.

The Mojo is alot better than iPhone’s. I was talking about the 12.9 iPad Pro which is the best sounding iOS device by far. I bet most high-end DAP’s costing multiples of the 12.9 iPad Pro also get in trouble. But I didn’t made that test yet.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. koiloco
    This statement from a person who owns Chord Dave and Taurus...I am not sure how I should take it but you got me really intrigued for sure cuz I can get the iPad Pro for next to nothing.

If your Chord Dave is a 10, what would the iPad Pro be?

5. ubs28
    Not really worth comparing to be honest since even my Hugo 2 is alot better than 12.9 iPad Pro. It’s only against the Chord Mojo where the 12.9 iPad Pro suprised me (but with the Poly addon, the Mojo performs alot better)

6. koiloco
    Got it. Thx.

7. bluenight
    I would love to have a great quiet tube amp. Would probebly go very well with hd800s also.

I have an old x-can v 3 tube amp that has problems with whining sound from time to time maybe its the tubes that is faulty or the electronics? but i have been really liking it with hd 650 for years.

8. koiloco
    whining on both channels or just 1?

9. cardeli22
    lol yep

10. bidn
    If your Mojo performs great with the poly, then it means that the Mojo as such performs great SQ-wise.
    Therefore, if you Mojo without poly hardly sounds hardly better than your iPad -- i.e. is not performing as it should and normally does -- , then this issue should not come from the Mojo itself but from the USB signal it is receiving without the poly,
    e.g. a bad source or an issue with the USB cable.

11. franz12
    you're basically saying that susvara is extremely good for the price, because it is not far from shangri-la.

Anyway, only thing I miss from Hugo 1 now is its look. I know that some people don't like its interface and find it confusing. But I really liked its colorful interface. I always thought it is quite creative and aesthetically.

@x RELIC x I will give them more thoughts once I receive some other DACs on the way.

12. ubs28
    Well, that is in general the problem with the Mojo, the Hugo and Hugo 2. It’s not simply plug and play into any device and you’ll get the best of it. Not sure why, but they sound a bit harsher and brighter from my Macbook Pro. But if I use the USB connection out of my iPad Pro or iPhone, they sound smoother.

That is probably why I like the Poly + Mojo combination in terms of sound quality as it fixes this problem. Also the soundstage opens up which I always found really small on the Mojo.

Quite suprised the Chord Dave doesn’t have this problem. It always sounds excellent no matter which source it is connected to.

13. doraymon
    Check THIS review I made.
    The Aurium is a true hidden gem!

14. WolfP
    Hi all,
    which cables (unbalanced) do you recommend to replace the original ones? About $300-400. The amplifier is the Violectric V220.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  15. doraymon
    Norne Draug3, fantastic pure copper cable.
    I got one with Oyaide 1/4" connector on the amp side and Oyaide connectors also on the headphones side.

Wildcatsare1 and WolfP like this.
First

Back
227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236
238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247
Next

Last