Focal Clear headphones
May 11, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #3,541 of 12,542
@franz12, could you expand on your thoughts beyond ‘no good’. As your opinion differs from many others it would be helpful to know what you mean.

Edit: With the Clear (this is the Focal Clear thread)?

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #3,542 of 12,542
i understand. ultimately, it's just one man's opinion. i just wanted to share my experience.
And it's very welcome especially when it's not aligned with the crowd, as @x RELIC x said, and it's detailed enough.

May 12, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #3,543 of 12,542
I agree. But it is because hugo/mojo are no good. They are overpriced and are just marginally better than iphones. I replaced hugo with Q5+MCTH, and am extremely happy with them. Great mobility with a better sound by a wide margin. I regret using hugo with ether c flow.

The Hugo 1 is extremely good for the price. I didn’t hear much difference between a full Auralic Vega + Auralic Taurus MKII stack (so around $5000). I also saw no point of buying the HDVD 800 in comparison to the Hugo 1 at all which actually sounded worse with certain headphones.

The Mojo is alot better than iPhone’s. I was talking about the 12.9 iPad Pro which is the best sounding iOS device by far. I bet most high-end DAP’s costing multiples of the 12.9 iPad Pro also get in trouble. But I didn’t made that test yet.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #3,544 of 12,542
The Mojo is alot better than iPhone’s. I was talking about the 12.9 iPad Pro which is the best sounding iOS device by far. I bet most high-end DAP’s costing multiples of the 12.9 iPad Pro also get in trouble. But I didn’t made that test yet.
This statement from a person who owns Chord Dave and Taurus...I am not sure how I should take it but you got me really intrigued for sure cuz I can get the iPad Pro for next to nothing.

If your Chord Dave is a 10, what would the iPad Pro be?

May 12, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #3,545 of 12,542
This statement from a person who owns Chord Dave and Taurus...I am not sure how I should take it but you got me really intrigued for sure cuz I can get the iPad Pro for next to nothing.

If your Chord Dave is a 10, what would the iPad Pro be?

Not really worth comparing to be honest since even my Hugo 2 is alot better than 12.9 iPad Pro. It’s only against the Chord Mojo where the 12.9 iPad Pro suprised me (but with the Poly addon, the Mojo performs alot better)

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #3,546 of 12,542
Not really worth comparing to be honest since even my Hugo 2 is alot better than 12.9 iPad Pro. It’s only against the Chord Mojo where the 12.9 iPad Pro suprised me. (But with the Poly addon, the Mojo performs alot better).
Got it. Thx.

May 12, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #3,547 of 12,542
IMO, the answer is an absolutely "yes". I bought the Clear to be mobile on Fiio X7 mk2 around the house cuz the Clear is easy to drive, unlike my HD800 and HE6. Yet, for the last 7 days, I couldn't leave my desk cuz the Clear sounds so phenomenal and addictive on the Woo WA22. Listening to the Clear on X7 always leaves me wanting to go back to my desk.
I know that the X7 vs. WA22 comparison is not a fair one, but my experience clearly answers your question. The Clear does scale very well with better amps.
I like the combo so much that I just forked out $500 last night to buy another set of back up tubes (minus rectifier) for the WA22. It was shocking how expensive Kenrad VT-231 Black has become but I don't want to lose this great synergy so the price didn't matter.

IMO, the answer is an absolutely "yes". I bought the Clear to be mobile on Fiio X7 mk2 around the house cuz the Clear is easy to drive, unlike my HD800 and HE6. Yet, for the last 7 days, I couldn't leave my desk cuz the Clear sounds so phenomenal and addictive on the Woo WA22. Listening to the Clear on X7 always leaves me wanting to go back to my desk.
I know that the X7 vs. WA22 comparison is not a fair one, but my experience clearly answers your question. The Clear does scale very well with better amps.
I like the combo so much that I just forked out $500 last night to buy another set of back up tubes (minus rectifier) for the WA22. It was shocking how expensive Kenrad VT-231 Black has become but I don't want to lose this great synergy so the price didn't matter.
I would love to have a great quiet tube amp. Would probebly go very well with hd800s also.

I have an old x-can v 3 tube amp that has problems with whining sound from time to time maybe its the tubes that is faulty or the electronics? but i have been really liking it with hd 650 for years.

May 12, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #3,548 of 12,542
I would love to have a great quiet tube amp. Would probebly go very well with hd800s also.

I have an old x-can v 3 tube amp that has problems with whining sound from time to time maybe its the tubes that is faulty or the electronics? but i have been really liking it with hd 650 for years.
whining on both channels or just 1?

May 12, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #3,550 of 12,542
Depends. I honestly don’t hear much difference between the regular Mojo and my 12.9 inch iPad Pro to be honest. But with Poly it does starts to sound a bit better (I am also not sure why the Poly improves the Mojo).

If you pay attention, you will hear that the Mojo is better than the 12.9 iPad Pro, but the differences is a bit too small for my taste. There is also a thread here on head-fi somewhere where other people with an 12.9 iPad Pro also notices the same against the Mojo.
However it seems that with the Poly the Mojo goes into a much higher level. Especially the soundstage all of a sudden opens up (the Mojo by itself really has a narrow soundstage to be honest).
Disclaimer: I only use the Mojo and iPad Pro with my IEM’s (Campfire Andromeda with the upgraded Reference 8 cable). I never did a head to head test with full sized headphones.

but with the Poly addon, the Mojo performs alot better

If your Mojo performs great with the poly, then it means that the Mojo as such performs great SQ-wise.
Therefore, if you Mojo without poly hardly sounds hardly better than your iPad -- i.e. is not performing as it should and normally does -- , then this issue should not come from the Mojo itself but from the USB signal it is receiving without the poly,
e.g. a bad source or an issue with the USB cable.

May 12, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #3,551 of 12,542
The Hugo 1 is extremely good for the price. I didn’t hear much difference between a full Auralic Vega + Auralic Taurus MKII stack (so around $5000). I also saw no point of buying the HDVD 800 in comparison to the Hugo 1 at all which actually sounded worse with certain headphones.

you're basically saying that susvara is extremely good for the price, because it is not far from shangri-la.

Anyway, only thing I miss from Hugo 1 now is its look. I know that some people don't like its interface and find it confusing. But I really liked its colorful interface. I always thought it is quite creative and aesthetically.

@x RELIC x I will give them more thoughts once I receive some other DACs on the way.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #3,552 of 12,542
If your Mojo performs great with the poly, then it means that the Mojo as such performs great SQ-wise.
Therefore, if you Mojo without poly hardly sounds hardly better than your iPad -- i.e. is not performing as it should and normally does -- , then this issue should not come from the Mojo itself but from the USB signal it is receiving without the poly,
e.g. a bad source or an issue with the USB cable.

Well, that is in general the problem with the Mojo, the Hugo and Hugo 2. It’s not simply plug and play into any device and you’ll get the best of it. Not sure why, but they sound a bit harsher and brighter from my Macbook Pro. But if I use the USB connection out of my iPad Pro or iPhone, they sound smoother.

That is probably why I like the Poly + Mojo combination in terms of sound quality as it fixes this problem. Also the soundstage opens up which I always found really small on the Mojo.

Quite suprised the Chord Dave doesn’t have this problem. It always sounds excellent no matter which source it is connected to.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #3,553 of 12,542

Check THIS review I made.
The Aurium is a true hidden gem!

May 13, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #3,555 of 12,542
Hi all,
which cables (unbalanced) do you recommend to replace the original ones? About $300-400.
Norne Draug3, fantastic pure copper cable.
I got one with Oyaide 1/4" connector on the amp side and Oyaide connectors also on the headphones side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back