1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Clear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mtoc, Oct 1, 2017.
First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last
  1. ubs28
    Maybe you had a defective pair and the very simple thing you needed to do was getting a new unit?

It's not really hard.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. crayons23
    the elear had decent bass but recessed treble. i don't get into
    all the audiophile speak but to me the elear was fatiguing and did
    not work out. i am anxious to spend some time with the clear

3. cardeli22
    May i also have that answer via PM?

4. BunnyNamedCraig
    I think the Utopia probably is more gear dependent then the Clear in regards to bass quantity and quality.

I have heard the Utopia having better bass, but “more” I am not sure of... that doesn’t ring a bell to me. I would have to A/B for that.

In regards to lack of fatigue, the Clear seems to realllllllly be in that sweet spot. It’s neutral but still so engaging to me. I think it’s a knock out compared to the Elear.

Comparing the Clear to the Utopia, I would take the added speed and clarity of the Utopia over the Clear, still considering the fatigue. But that’s just me!

5. Paulo Abreu
    Can’t speak for Elex, never heard.But have pushed Clear to very high levels and no audible distortion, for younger people with fresh ears a bit over the top, so I suspect one of four things are happening: 1-Elex is broken, 2-Your amp is distorting, 3-Elex distorts, 4-Volume is even louder than I can imagine and I don't wanna try this on my Clears

Ps: Maybe a problem of impedance match with your amp? I don't think the 50 ohm impedance of Clear is a problem by itself

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  6. koiloco
    Without repeating what others have already said about the Clear, I got mine yesterday. From my Woo WA22 on low imp, I believe that as far as tonality and musicality go for me, I have found my end game HPs. No EQ and everything just sounds "right". Pure voodoo...and Oh yeah, the bass is indeed delicious.

7. bluenight
    Coming from hd 800s is there a big risk you will find this unresolving,muddy or congested? And does clear have more bass and sub bass then hd800s?

Also do clear benefitt from an external hp amp or is it best to just use a dac/amp like hugo 2 for most clarity and it still will sound fullbodied?

So a low
    Output Impedance: of < 0,15 Ohms
    Is good on my hp amp with the clears?

8. Wildcatsare1
    No, not at all, I find the Clear as resolving as the 800, while also having accurate tone, not the hollow, wonky midrange.

bluenight and BunnyNamedCraig like this.
  9. rutter
    I find the Clear significantly more congested as far as soundstage goes in comparison to the Hifiman Edition X v2, so it's safe to say it will be more congested than the 800. I have seen no one state this although I've been told there are some who agree with me, the Focal Clear is a piercing headphone. I found it quite unpleasant. The way it sounds I'll also suggest that quality is confounded- it's hard to differentiate it from the heightened sound. Goes both ways, could be better or worse than it sounds. In my opinion this is a polarizing headphone and far from a safe purchase, despite what reviews are claiming. Beware if you listen to music that already has energy. I would compare this sound to that of a club, except the bass isn't nearly as offensive.

bluenight likes this.
  10. BunnyNamedCraig
    I’m curious what your running the Clear with?

11. rutter
    Auditioned them with a McIntosh MHA-150, Questyle CMA600I, and even tried them with a portable Fiio A5 amplifier connected to an iPod. Two and a half to three hours of listening, was told they were already burnt in. As far as congestion goes, even reviews mention their "intimate presentation". That I've found to be an amusing euphemism.

marcepanluj likes this.
  12. malifact
    Before I pull the trigger on the Focal Clear, is there another headphone with a similar sound signature but larger soundstage I could listen to as a comparison? I'm assuming the Sennheiser 800S would not be a good comparison.

13. rutter
    Are you sure you like the sound signature? I would strongly recommend auditioning the Clear before buying it (which is what I did and my impression ran counter to what I was expecting), although of course it can just be returned. I even got a discount to buy it at $1200 and by the end of my three days listening there was no way. Music through Tidal too, by the way. I'd be very curious to hear what others think sounds like a Focal headphone.

14. dontfeedphils
    Curious, have you found anything that you like?

15. Halexx
    I did not try them myself, but the AKG 812 could be somehow similar to what you ask .

First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last