Focal Clear headphones
Apr 29, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,421 of 12,500
@doraymon... Beautiful cable. That's exactly the cable I'm considering for my Clears (which will be here in one week )

@ubs28
As an experiment, I made my own DIY silver + copper cable (obviously not as good as a hifgh-end cable) and it makes the bass slam a little bit extra. But it's a small difference so I'm not sure if it worth trying to tweak the Clear a bit with a high-end cables if the Clear isn't so sensitive to cables.
I'm close to Boston and Nordost so I started making calls yesterday (Saturday) to high-end shops to demo some of the aftermarket headphone cables that they have on hand. One shop that has Cardas cables is happy to let me bring my Clears and Norne Audio cable to A/B what he has on hand. I'm looking forward to listening to some of the cables that the higher end shops are able to mark up more than 100%. If I find something that I like better than my Solvine in a similar price range, I may buy it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #3,422 of 12,500
What are your impressions on sound over the stock cable?
Same level of detail, fuller, richer bass without messing up the perfect tonality of the cans.
Overall a sense of added energy which is otherwise difficult to describe (as I said, "The Energizer").
I have already ordered the Silver version of the same cable and will compare.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #3,425 of 12,500
Hello Utopia/Elear/Clear lovers and potential Utopia/Elear/Clear lovers. I’ve received an extra ordinary amount of PM’s, emails and calls about certain online sales claiming warranty is included. Let me take a moment to tell exactly what is and isn’t.

Audiogon = not allowed no warranty
eBay = not allowed no warranty
Or any selling platform of this type is definitely not allowed.
Online on amazon that shows a discount, not allowed unless during a factory authorized sale

If any of the previous types of purchases are made, FocalNA has the right to deny warranty service. It is considered used immediately even if the box is factory sealed.

Allowed is easier to get. An authorized dealer is allowed to sell online ONLY on the dealers own website or on Amazon with the approval/permission of Focal. FocalNA does not allow online discount price advertising of any kind unless it’s a factory authorized sale.

I put this out in the hope that you all have a good purchase and to clear my days answering this question so often lately.

Edit: this is not a warranty discussion as much as it is a warning that these sellers are not authorized and could cause you to go through some serious heartache at their profit and your expense.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,427 of 12,500
Clear vs Elear?
You get more accessories from the Clear compared to the Elear, like the case and few more cables. The stock Elear cable is a big and thick thing versus the thinner and more manageable fabric wrapped one on the Clear.

The Clear is very tonally balanced headphone in comparison to the Elear which has a stronger weightier bass.If you are looking for a very safe headphone, I would recommend the Clear. If you would like a warmer bassier signature that would be a bit more genre specific the Elear is great choice albeit with few less options with cables and case.

May 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,428 of 12,500
Given the Clear costs twice as much I can forgo the case and a few more cables. In what genres would you say the Elear is weak? How would you say the Clear compares in genres where the Elear is strong?

May 1, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,429 of 12,500
When I listen to electronic drum and bass and some jungle, the Elear was superior in the bass. It had more sub bass and more punch in the low end then the Clears did.
Granted that's exactly what you want with those styles of music.

When I do critical listening with classical and jazz, it's no contest. The Clears are more tonally correct and there is more top to bottom coherency.

My pair should be in next Mondayish.

Cannot wait.

May 1, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #3,430 of 12,500
Given the Clear costs twice as much I can forgo the case and a few more cables. In what genres would you say the Elear is weak? How would you say the Clear compares in genres where the Elear is strong?
If you are in one of the countries it ships to, The Massdrop/Focal Elex is (for the most part) an Elear with Clear pads and Clear style cables.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #3,431 of 12,500
Clear vs Elear?
I think with the Elear, you get the pleasure of always wondering if you would have been happier with the sound quality of the Clear's. With the Clear (or Clear Pro), you're stuck with the nagging feeling of whether you would have been happier spending less money. One route means buying, possibly selling at a loss and then buying again at what really ends up costing you more than it could have at the start.
I know I'm no help...lol

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #3,432 of 12,500
I think with the Elear, you get the pleasure of always wondering if you would have been happier with the sound quality of the Clear's. With the Clear (or Clear Pro), you're stuck with the nagging feeling of whether you would have been happier spending less money. One route means buying, possibly selling at a loss and then buying again at what really ends up costing you more than it could have at the start.
I know I'm no help...lol
Yes but what if you actually prefer the punchier sound of the Elear, despite its ‘faults’? And what if you spend the extra money on a Clear only to find its sound a little flat and disengaging compared to the Elear you sold?

Just sayin’ :wink:

May 1, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #3,433 of 12,500
Yes but what if you actually prefer the punchier sound of the Elear, despite its ‘faults’? And what if you spend the extra money on a Clear only to find its sound a little flat and disengaging compared to the Elear you sold?

Just sayin’ :wink:

Buy both? I guess I don't pick up a lack of punch from the Clears. But of course, everything upstream will affect the end result. People complain about the CA Andromeda's...and again, I don't get it for the same reasons.

May 1, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #3,434 of 12,500
I've read the Clear being characterized as very clear but also as possibly lacking impact, something of the sort. The Elear, by contrast, is described as a lively and dynamic headphone. Is that fair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back