Focal Clear headphones
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #3,377 of 12,542
How well does chord mojo drive them or hugo 2? And comparisons between them driving the clear would be nice.

Also would clear with hugo 2 be a better system then hd800s with hdv820? Anyone have compared?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #3,378 of 12,542
Price range from Mojo to Hugo 2/HDV820 is rather huge. My Samsung Note 8 drives the Clears well, but I wouldn't use it as my goto device for multiple reasons. There are a lot of DAC/AMP choices without needing to spend $2000+ and drinking the Chord Koolaid...lol

giphy.gif

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #3,379 of 12,542
How well does chord mojo drive them or hugo 2? And comparisons between them driving the clear would be nice.

Also would clear with hugo 2 be a better system then hd800s with hdv820? Anyone have compared?

Price range from Mojo to Hugo 2/HDV820 is rather huge. My Samsung Note 8 drives the Clears well, but I wouldn't use it as my goto device for multiple reasons. There are a lot of DAC/AMP choices without needing to spend $2000+ and drinking the Chord Koolaid...lol

I've had my Hugo 2 for about a month now and I like it quite a bit more than the Bimby/Asgard 2 stack I upgraded from. I recently used it to audition all three Focal cans and enjoyed it very much. The Hugo 2 can power all three as well as they should be, is transportable (which goes nice with the case and cables sold with the Clear) and has a remote. It's made my setup much simpler, easier to use, and flexible.

I owned the Mojo before the Hugo 2 and enjoyed it as well. It's a noticeable decrease in many key aspects (soundstage, resolution, imaging, etc), and tilts a bit to the warmer side (to my ears).

Some people like Chord, some don't.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #3,380 of 12,542
Can anyone recommend a good warmer amp for this headphone? I wish these had a slight more bass and tamed the treble just a bit. Budget up to $2k but pref $1k

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #3,382 of 12,542
Can anyone recommend a good warmer amp for this headphone? I wish these had a slight more bass and tamed the treble just a bit. Budget up to $2k but pref $1k
i employ the rogue rh 5 but i do not currently have the clears.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #3,383 of 12,542
Aune s6 probably.

I haven't heard any listening reports, but you might run into damping factor issues with the low input impedance of the Clear. S6 output impedance is 10 Ohm (20 Ohm balanced). Rule of thumb being generally that it shouldn't drive headphones with input impedance of less than 80 Ohm. Of course, it can be a little more complicated than the general rule of thumb, but most modern headphones seem to be designed for low output impedance. If someone has impressions of the pairing versus other, lower output impedance amps, I'm all ears.

As for suggestions for the original question, I've heard good things about the Questyle CMA400i.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #3,384 of 12,542
I haven't heard any listening reports, but you might run into damping factor issues with the low input impedance of the Clear. S6 output impedance is 10 Ohm (20 Ohm balanced). Rule of thumb being generally that it shouldn't drive headphones with input impedance of less than 80 Ohm. Of course, it can be a little more complicated than the general rule of thumb, but most modern headphones seem to be designed for low output impedance. If someone has impressions of the pairing versus other, lower output impedance amps, I'm all ears.

As for suggestions for the original question, I've heard good things about the Questyle CMA400i.

Thanks, for looking into that. You might be completely right.

The questyle cma400i i have myself it's an awesome amp/dac combo that seems to take just a tad edge of the music and makes it sound sooo nice, no increase in bass or anything like that it's suprisingly neutral. To my ears though the sound difference between the questyle and my prior nfb11 where rather small when comparing with my clears. My other headphones did sound better even from SE.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,385 of 12,542

You didn't mention of you were looking for a desktop or portable solution. But I recently started using a Woo WA7. It's not too "tubey" - just slightly warmer. I've been very pleased with the sound.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,386 of 12,542
You didn't mention of you were looking for a desktop or portable solution. But I recently started using a Woo WA7. It's not too "tubey" - just slightly warmer. I've been very pleased with the sound.

Ah yes, a desktop setup, prefer to be able to run balanced, from my Metrum Pavane Level 3

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,387 of 12,542
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,388 of 12,542
Finally got to A/B the Clear today against my HD 800S. I was very impressed by the clear i have to say. My local store will hopefully have them in stock in May. Much more bass and oomph. Soundstage was very impressive as well. Not as comfortable as the 800S.

how big the difference in SS between the two ?

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #3,389 of 12,542

I’ll save you some money, ppick up a Schiit Lyr 3, hunt down some vintage Sylvania Tubes, and you will have deeep bass, smooth treble, detail stays the same, and the soundstage depth and width are thee best I’ve heard on the Clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back