Focal Clear headphones
Oct 2, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #16 of 12,542
plus... "spot-on" tonality is also relative. Who's to say that Utopia is not "spot on" with some music material out there? So for those tracks, would the Clear be too dark? You see, such question is difficult to answer in absolute terms because recordings don't all sound "spot-on". :)

In this sense, most likely Focal just wants to come up with another flavor that fills the gap in their current arsenal, and extend their reach to even more customers.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #17 of 12,542
'spot-on' tonality is subjective. Each headphone has its own tonality - whether its better or worse depends on listener taste.
So the true sound, tone and timbre of live instruments and voices and the ability to reproduce them correctly is subjective?

Wow...

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #18 of 12,542
It might be za Bassman lol :) Damn, I'm now stuck at another crossroad. The Clear or the Utopia. They look awesome with the perforated leather pads from the Utopia. The color with the silver looks awesome as well.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #21 of 12,542
So the true sound, tone and timbre of live instruments and voices and the ability to reproduce them correctly is subjective?

Wow...
'Spot on' to describe tonality of headphone is subjective- is all I'm saying.

Idk what exactly you mean by true sound.

As for tone and timbre of live, even if lets assume an ideal recording system (which I doubt there exist), an ideal DAC (there might exist something close), perfectly transparent, near zero distortion (a wire with gain) amp are used, experts will debate what the accurate reference headphone is. Dead neutral many will argue is not how live sounds. Others will argue warmish, mid lush is how it is. I personally feel brightish with air is how live sounds but I know plenty who disagree.

I feel the best a headphone can do is maximize resolution (detail retrieval), minimise distortion and pick a tonality and leave the rest to listener.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #22 of 12,542
Boy that scalated quickly...there's a reason why I put "spot on" between quotation marks.
Look, Elear has a dipped upper mids, uneven treble and slightly elevated bass and Utopia is a bright sounding headphone, no way around it. Something "spot on" would be the Elear without the upped mid suckout, even treble and a bit less bass.
Keed in mind that "spot on" tone is in the Focal premium line context, because 2 headphones with the same frequency response and different driver/implementation will sound different. Focal Clear has the same driver material as Elear (Aluminum/Magnesium) and a extremely similar appeareance (but with a different color scheme, which has nothing to do with sound quality).

Now, please, don't put things out of context.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 12,542
Boy that scalated quickly...there's a reason why I put "spot on" between quotation marks.
Look, Elear has a dipped upper mids, uneven treble and slightly elevated bass and Utopia is a bright sounding headphone, no way around it. Something "spot on" would be the Elear without the upped mid suckout, even treble and a bit less bass.
Keed in mind that "spot on" tone is in the Focal premium line context, because 2 headphones with the same frequency response and different driver/implementation will sound different. Focal Clear have the same driver material as Elear (Aluminum/Magnesium) and a extremely similar appeareance (but with a different color scheme, which has nothing to do with sound quality).

Not all, but some people got your point, me included :beerchug:

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Oct 2, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 12,542
Focal is smart, like a fox with a graduation hat.
My guess is that they listened to the general consensus (Elear upped mid suckout, Utopia a bit on the bright side), and made a 2-2.5k headphone with "spot on" tonality and a bit less technicalities compared to the Utopia.
Edit: the new cable looks great, I'm glad they listen to people and try to improve their products, not everyone does that.

Dont get them ideas:wink: No dynamic is worth 2.5k besides Utopia and thats only, because it use Berylium. I see a lot more inovation in HD800series than in any dynamic headphones and impeccable qc and modular desing so price why i pay for it is explained. 1.5k would be fair price for questionable driver quality control.

So, a 2K headphone that sounds better than their 4K? Who would buy the 4K? Who at Focal would be crazy enough to let that happen?

I say a 'different sounding' Elear at $1200-$1500.

I understand from a good source that will be about $1,500.

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #27 of 12,542
Keed in mind that "spot on" tone is in the Focal premium line context, because 2 headphones with the same frequency response and different driver/implementation will sound different. Focal Clear has the same driver material as Elear (Aluminum/Magnesium) and a extremely similar appeareance (but with a different color scheme, which has nothing to do with sound quality).

How certain are you that they are the same? You aren't, wait until the information is officially released to the public. They wouldn't be that stupid to release the same exact headphones like the Elear.

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #28 of 12,542
How certain are you that they are the same? You aren't, wait until the information is officially released to the public. They wouldn't be that stupid to release the same exact headphones like the Elear.

Because it says "Aluminum-Magnesium", like in Elear and not "Beryllium" like in Utopia.
Oh, and where did I wrote that they are the same? I said something like, "Fixed Elear", not "Silver Elear with Utopia pads".

10008359.png

9968944.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #30 of 12,542
Why not we just all agree on something... that the Focal Clear is a such a beauty.

BTW, don't ask who my source is, but I've been informed that the Clear definitely has a "flavored" sound. And I got a feeling that is not far from the truth.
Yes looks great! Honestly i dont need another open back, but... This looks very tempting if the price is right and even more tempting if balanced cable is included.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back