Focal Clear headphones
Jan 28, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #2,252 of 12,543
Sorry, I don´t see it. Thanks
I did something that worked for me.

You know those disposible fabric bags with a like a fake cloth material? I believe the material is called: Non woven polypropylene fabric. Some times stores bag their products in these things. I had a couple of those bags at home. I think some shoes and a cologne came in this. I am attaching a couple of images I just googled so you can see the texture.

I cut a couple of those and put them between the driver and the pads. I experimented with different materials, but this is the best. I also used felt fabric, but the damping was to much and the Clear wasn't clear anymore :) The felt killed the highs.

Ok, so the Non woven polypropylene fabric works pretty well. I just makes the mids and highs a bit rounded, perfect to my ears. The clear is still clear, but it sounds more refined.

Note: Just by coincidence, this fabric material I had was the same color as the headphones, but in the end who cares, it is inside the cups anyway :)

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #2,253 of 12,543
That was also my first reaction when I first heard the LCD3, but it sounds muffled unde-amped. Once you pair this headphones with a powerful amp like the ifi Pro iCan for example, the Lcd3 sounds more airy and the highs extended incredibly well, obviously not at the Clear’s level.
It is well amped through V281. Even with the latest drivers they sound like you are listening through a sock.

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #2,254 of 12,543
With Jason at NAMM show today. Found this cool guy.

mWvAYsI.jpg

7HJxiId.jpg

RIVIeKt.jpg

iOOWrDI.jpg
So whats the word bird?

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #2,257 of 12,543
With Jason at NAMM show today. Found this cool guy.

mWvAYsI.jpg

7HJxiId.jpg

RIVIeKt.jpg

iOOWrDI.jpg
When Jason told me about some being burnt from being at NAMM, I thought he meant Vietnam lmao. Smh.

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,259 of 12,543
I have let the Clear run in continuously for about 10 days and I can now safely say that i don't really have an issue with the top end anymore. Another thing...I found the clamping to be on the moderate to light side, so I gently flexed the headband for a slightly firmer grip, and this has smoothed things out as well sonically. The resolution of inner detail is quite something, and overall probably the best balance of any dynamic headphone that I have listened to.

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,261 of 12,543
For a company with some really nice headphones, Focal is not exactly setting the headphone enthusiast community on fire with their closed headphone offerings. Perhaps the challenge to create a really good closed can is to much for them, or they don't see the demand to do so, or I hope - one is already in the pipeline?

Might give them a little bit of a break. They have released at least 4 highly regarded open-back designs in the last couple years, which probably took up quite a bit of their time.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,262 of 12,543
How does it compare to Clear in terms of sound and comfort?

Almost exactly the same. It’s really just a Clear with different color body & pads. You do get a coiled cable and a standard cable all single ended with an extra set of pads that are also identical to the pads installed at the factory. It is priced at $1699.00 and has a typical PRO markup which is very tiny so you’ll likely never see any big discounts or even medium discounts for that matter.

You’ll ask why no balanced cable. It’s because in pro single ended is the common connectivity for headphone use.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,263 of 12,543
Almost exactly the same. It’s really just a Clear with different color body & pads. You do get a coiled cable and a standard cable all single ended with an extra set of pads that are also identical to the pads installed at the factory. It is priced at $1699.00 and has a typical PRO markup which is very tiny so you’ll likely never see any big discounts or even medium discounts for that matter.

You’ll ask why no balanced cable. It’s because in pro single ended is the common connectivity for headphone use.

Can you confirm there are no changes to the clamp force/headband size? That´s at least how I understood Marine´s (Focal Community Manager) email that was posted here a few pages back...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2,264 of 12,543

Hi Jason, thanks for the feedback on the Pro's. Just curious, why would Professional studio engineers, mixers, etc buy the Clear Pro when they could get essentially the same product with a similar set of Single ended cables for $200 less? Is there some sort of advantage that I'm not taking into account (ie, all the cool kid Engineers these day use "coiled" cables)?

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2,265 of 12,543
For a company with some really nice headphones, Focal is not exactly setting the headphone enthusiast community on fire with their closed headphone offerings. Perhaps the challenge to create a really good closed can is to much for them, or they don't see the demand to do so, or I hope - one is already in the pipeline?
yeah i agree with the @dontfeedphils. They have been super busy pumping out killer open backs. I would LOVE a closed back Clear though. That would be awesome. I don't think a closed Utopia would be high up on their list but who knows. Senn made the HD820 so I guess any option is possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back