Focal Clear headphones
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2,206 of 12,543
Then you're just another biased sheep without an open mind. A response that is very ignorant with no reasonable answer as to why you made your assumptions in the first place. At least if you're going to call me out on something, give me and everyone here watching this thread a clear explanation. I gave a very reasonable explanation as to why Focal did what they did on Massdrop, I gave another one to refute the claims you made about the Elex being a rival to the Clear and the hodgepodge that Massdrop was spewing, and now I'm giving you one as to why you are a sheep. Now I definitely look like a jackass, but only towards you because you called me one first. Now I will ignore your childish responses.

Dude relax :)

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2,208 of 12,543
I am old enough to remember when the most controversial issue on the thread was the red-pinkish ear pads of the Clear Pro.

I was undecided whether to like its red-pinkish color. So I asked my family what you think about it, and it was much hated for its color...Vanilla Clear was much preferred. It would make a person wearing it look like perverse...strong response unexpected..

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2,209 of 12,543
The Folk’s at Massdrop we’re the ones making wild claims about the Elex’s performance, even claiming they rivaled the Clear, no they don’t, not even close.

Fair enough. I’ve never heard any Focal headphone so I can’t comment on them. But Jason is saying that the Elex isn’t even on par with the Elear even though all specs and reviews say they’re the same headphone with just different pads and color schemes. If he’s telling the truth, then that’s very shady of Massdrop and Focal. If he’s wrong or intentionally lying, then that makes him incredibly shady and unprofessional. I don’t know who’s telling the truth, but they both can’t be right.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #2,210 of 12,543
Sorry to see this go a different direction than my intent. My apologies. I simply wanted to pose the question and cause free thinking over being sucked into things. I’m pretty certain there is nothing shady with Focals build of the headphone. I’ve made no statement of anyone’s motivation or intent other than my own. There are equations placed in front of us that don’t seem to resolve.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,211 of 12,543
I own the Elear's and would like very much to get the Clear's, can someone who has listened to both or owned them say the Clear's are a worth while upgrade, I will be keeping the Elear's my favorites of what I own so far..enjoy & thanks

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #2,212 of 12,543
So, there were folks a couple dozen pages back purchasing the Clear at some slightly cheaper prices. I live Europe side and wonder what possible places I have to buy from.

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #2,214 of 12,543
Focal clear pro looks sexier with those tasteful reds. Nice touch.

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #2,215 of 12,543
A 'burning' issue for me: I basically just got the Clear, it has had maybe 15hrs head time. I notice that while it is generally very neutral, there is a forwardness in the mids and low treble section around 3-5k. Vocals can be very shouty, sometimes hurting my ears at volumes that pose no problem on other headphones.

Does this balance out with more burn-in? Any feedback would be appreciated!

P.S: Just a general comment about the last few pages in this thread: Maybe it would be a good idea for some members to take a step back and act as adults discussing a hobby. Not some life or death issue. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #2,216 of 12,543
A 'burning' issue for me: I basically just got the Clear, it has had maybe 15hrs head time. I notice that while it is generally very neutral, there is a forwardness in the mids and low treble section around 3-5k. Vocals can be very shouty, sometimes hurting my ears at volumes that pose no problem on other headphones.

Does this balance out with more burn-in? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Yes! It smooths the mids and low treble with some more burning time, like 40-50 hrs. It depends on amplification but you should evaluate that after the burning period.

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #2,217 of 12,543
Focal clear pro looks sexier with those tasteful reds. Nice touch.

No more, no less. Now that specs are out and speculation (noise?) around if its closed or open, or if Focal is beeing correct or not with its customers introducing a "better" Clear two months after its release, my thoughts are:
  • I thank Focal to have introduced Clear before Clear Pro and not the opposite! Thanks a lot guys! I would be a bit frustrated if I had bought Clear Pro and two months later would have the option to buy the same headphone on that gorgeous silver color with an extra balanced cable and for less money

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #2,218 of 12,543
I own the Elear's and would like very much to get the Clear's, can someone who has listened to both or owned them say the Clear's are a worth while upgrade, I will be keeping the Elear's my favorites of what I own so far..enjoy & thanks

It is hard to answer, because we all have different preferences. I had the Elear and to me it wasn’t worth keeping :frowning2: I know it is a fun headphone, but to me the bass was a little overpowering, a little honky on the highs and it was missing a chunk of information in the mids making the vocals sound very distant. All these issues were a deal breaker for me and I returned them.

The clear fixes all these issues. The whole frequency is perfectly balanced. So if you ask me, the answer is: YES, the upgrade is worth every penny :)

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #2,220 of 12,543
NOMAX knows (and knows and knows knows...)

stand by (and by and by and by and)

We can joke with it but in reality he has access to Focal information much before most people here. Don't know if Focal aproves or if can either control it, but some effect is doing - and its not BS or vapor headphones that might show in a distant future, its real stuff, ready and available. And please, if you're referring to @Nomax , please don't forget the LOL ... LOL btw... :beyersmile: ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back