Focal Clear- a clear addition to my collection?
Apr 30, 2021 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BWythani

Head-Fier
Super tempted by the discounted Focal Clears. (Original not mg)

I'm not 100% happy with my headphone selection. Highlights:

6xx/580 - totally bored with these
LCD-GX - really like these, easy pick when I'm not sure what genre I want to listen to, or if I want to listen to everything on mix, but I want something that's a little bit /more/ all around.
Meze 99c - Absolute fun headphone to listen to, but I keep switching them out for more clarity when I'm weary of the bass.
Koss 95x with lots of eq - Absolutely amazing, especially clarity, but they are a pain to use and immobile at my desk.

I'm looking for something that just all-around sounds better. My favorite speakers ever are the Focal Utopia 6.5 component set I had in my car ages ago (and turned into bookshelf speakers.)

I also don't want to /have/ to EQ.

May 1, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 17
I was thinking the same thing, as I think a lot of people are with the discounted price. Funny enough, I just ordered an Arya, so I’m going to pass on the Clear. I owned the Ananda and really miss the unique sound of those huge drivers...which is probably similar to estats like the Koss you have, but I wouldn’t really know.

I remember hearing the Clear some years ago and being impressed by its technical abilities but not wowed with the experience, as typical with these very neutrally-tuned headphones. If you want a competent all-rounder, it might be what you’re looking for though. I can’t think of a better all-rounder in that price range, especially for the discounted price.

May 1, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 17
I think if you already don't like the HD650, you're probably not going to love the Clear although I guess I would consider it less "boring" depending on what you mean by that (i.e. little more dynamic and better bass, but similar tonality from what I remember).

Maybe try compensating a FR graph of the Koss with your EQ and thumbing through some of the online databases (see DIY Audio Heaven, Crinacle.com)

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 17
I think if you already don't like the HD650, you're probably not going to love the Clear although I guess I would consider it less "boring" depending on what you mean by that (i.e. little more dynamic and better bass, but similar tonality from what I remember).

Maybe try compensating a FR graph of the Koss with your EQ and thumbing through some of the online databases (see DIY Audio Heaven, Crinacle.com)
Koss with eq is amazing but has no portability

May 1, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Koss with eq is amazing but has no portability
He's saying if you take the Koss graph, EQ compensated, and compare that to other FR graphs you might find some things that sound more like them "out of the box".

May 1, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 17
He's saying if you take the Koss graph, EQ compensated, and compare that to other FR graphs you might find some things that sound more like them "out of the box".
Ahhhh. What I really love about them is their intense clarity, which is very obvious when the music has a lot of distortion guitar and cymbals (like in a lot of metal) but i also eq the living crap out of them.

Without eq i like my lcd-gx the best i think, But I feel like they lack fine detail.

ive looked at the arya here and there, but they are 600 more than the clears

re:boring 6xx and 580: It’s hard to put my finger on but I have no specific complaints.. but a couple songs in im reaching for different headphones

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 17
Ahhhh. What I really love about them is their intense clarity, which is very obvious when the music has a lot of distortion guitar and cymbals (like in a lot of metal) but i also eq the living crap out of them.

Without eq i like my lcd-gx the best i think, But I feel like they lack fine detail.

re:boring 6xx and 580: It’s hard to put my finger on but I have no specific complaints.. but a couple songs in im reaching for different headphones
If you're into 'intense clarity', then the OG Focal Clear sounds up your alley. It cranks up the neutrality and air of the Sennheisers to 11 and makes them feel a bit sluggish and narrow. I love them.

May 1, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 17
I was thinking the same thing, as I think a lot of people are with the discounted price. Funny enough, I just ordered an Arya, so I’m going to pass on the Clear. I owned the Ananda and really miss the unique sound of those huge drivers...which is probably similar to estats like the Koss you have, but I wouldn’t really know.

I remember hearing the Clear some years ago and being impressed by its technical abilities but not wowed with the experience, as typical with these very neutrally-tuned headphones. If you want a competent all-rounder, it might be what you’re looking for though. I can’t think of a better all-rounder in that price range, especially for the discounted price.
I am the opposite. I just bought the Focal Clear OG because they are under $1000. They are great all arounders with a nice warm presentation and a punch and slam that beats every Hifiman in their line up including the Arya except for maybe the Susvara which I learned after purchasing an Ananda. I love the Anandas but the bass is not that great especially when compared to the Clears. I also have an HD800S which is the most like the Ayra. They are tuned bright like the HD800S which is the main reason why I didn't buy the Aryas. Too much overlap between those headphones. For me, the Clears and HD800S complement each other. The Arya and Clears can both be a great all arounder (the HD800S isn't really unless you use EQ and then it still is a bit lacking in richness of bass), but it depends on what sound signature and genre of music you listen to. IF you want punch and slam, then get the Clears. If you want sound stage for classical music, get the Arya. Both have great detail and resolution.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 17
I am the opposite. I just bought the Focal Clear OG because they are under $1000. They are great all arounders with a nice warm presentation and a punch and slam that beats every Hifiman in their line up including the Arya except for maybe the Susvara which I learned after purchasing an Ananda. I love the Anandas but the bass is not that great especially when compared to the Clears. I also have an HD800S which is the most like the Ayra. They are tuned bright like the HD800S which is the main reason why I didn't buy the Aryas. Too much overlap between those headphones. For me, the Clears and HD800S complement each other. The Arya and Clears can both be a great all arounder (the HD800S isn't really unless you use EQ and then it still is a bit lacking in richness of bass), but it depends on what sound signature and genre of music you listen to. IF you want punch and slam, then get the Clears. If you want sound stage for classical music, get the Arya. Both have great detail and resolution.
Yes and don't forget about the HE6 (and SE variants), which have some real slam as well. But like the Susvara require some major power pushing them.

And if you ever want to "un-boring" the 6XX, get a Bottlehead Crack. It'll seriously knock your socks off.

Anyway, good luck! Seems like you're in the Clear :sunglasses:

May 2, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 17
Yes and don't forget about the HE6 (and SE variants), which have some real slam as well. But like the Susvara require some major power pushing them.

And if you ever want to "un-boring" the 6XX, get a Bottlehead Crack. It'll seriously knock your socks off.

Already have the Bottlehead crack. I agree that it's great and match made in heaven for the HD600 and 650. Even makes the HD800S listenable outside of its sweet spot of Classical music and Big Band Jazz.

May 2, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 17

I do have the bottlehead but its a pain to use (limited desk space) have been thinking about a valhalla though

May 2, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 17
I do have the bottlehead but its a pain to use (limited desk space) have been thinking about a valhalla though
Ah I see! Well then I have no recommendations for further un-borning-ing haha

I also tried the Valhalla 2 with the 6XX, and with stock tubes it was actually a bit too hot in the upper mids for my tastes

May 2, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 17

don't listen to people trying to shill you a tube amp just buy a iFi CAN it has bass boost, 3D, balanced and is class A sounds great and has every feature you will ever want to make most decent headphones "fun". Just buy the Clears for the 1k preorder and get the Arya Open Box or message a hifiman rep and ask them if they will sell you new for $1300. Trust me this way you will never have to worry if you should buy other headphones that are cheaper and great like the DT1990 or the Sundara. Then later buy nice AMP/DAC... also I would just sell the stuff you don't like but whatever GL HF and remember it doesn't matter what you do 1 single bit because if the destination isn't the best headphones are an experience so enjoy yours.

May 3, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 17
don't listen to people trying to shill you a tube amp just buy a iFi CAN it has bass boost, 3D, balanced and is class A sounds great and has every feature you will ever want to make most decent headphones "fun". Just buy the Clears for the 1k preorder and get the Arya Open Box or message a hifiman rep and ask them if they will sell you new for $1300. Trust me this way you will never have to worry if you should buy other headphones that are cheaper and great like the DT1990 or the Sundara. Then later buy nice AMP/DAC... also I would just sell the stuff you don't like but whatever GL HF and remember it doesn't matter what you do 1 single bit because if the destination isn't the best headphones are an experience so enjoy yours.
I do love the zencan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back