Foam-lined carry case
Oct 4, 2001 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

frankclone

Lambda Lambda Lambda
I'm going to look around for a carry case--perhaps kind used
for power tools--for my Stax phones/amp/wall-wart.
Then I'm going to search for a big block of high-density foam to
line case.
The question I have is: How would I cut foam to get smooth-edged compartments for each piece? It's not a primary concern
but I would want it to look good--as well as offering protection for
travel.

Oct 4, 2001 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 7
You're on the wrong msg board. Go check out some arts and crafts sites, cause foam is a bitch to work with. Trust me on this! Flashbak, tell em! hehe.

Harder, denser foams can be "hot knifed" (shaped with a hot wire)...but can give off crumbles later. Crumbles? y'know, pellets. bits of foam.

Softer open-celled foams like what an earpad is made from can't be hot knifed, they'll just melt and get hard as plastic (and lose all foamyness)

There's polyurethane and polyvinylchloride and polyester and many others, some you can shape and some you have to mold/cast that shape to begin with... some are safe and some catch fire if you stare too hard... some are non-toxic and others are deadly.

If you want it to look professional - GOOD LUCK. Non-artsy types usually hack and slash the foam into some sembalance of the shape, then glue velvet or felt over it... people think it's the "finishing touch" but it's really just to hide how screwy the foam job was.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 7
I cut soft foam easily with a scalpel with a NEW BLADE. The cutter must be very sharp. Years ago when I worked in research and development at Zion guitars we used the old electric knives you can sometimes find at junk stores to cut perfect foam patterns for special custom guitar flight cases for touring players. Again the blades must be very sharp.
Dan

Oct 4, 2001 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Have you considered a Pelican case? They are almost bullet proof, water tight, and come with the foam inside, allready precut into small squares you just pull out the sqares to fit the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back