FM Transmitter
Sep 3, 2009 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

andyalfa

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve been searching through the forums about this, but haven’t found anything yet. Can anyone help or make a suggestion as to where I can look? I’m looking for an FM transmitter for use in my car, so I can plug in my music player and enjoy music on the move. I’ve had a couple in the past. A Belkin (total crap) and a Kensington (great while it lasted), but neither of them could claim to be exactly hi-fi. As we spend as much time as possible abroad in a hire car, a hard wired solution isn’t ideal, so can anyone suggest a decent unit? Ideally, it would have a Fuse dock connector, but I can manage with one that plugs into the headphone socket in I have to.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 15
I believe non of the FM transmitters offer a good quality. FM signal already limits the frequency response heavily, and those portable transmitters are often very weak.

Can you install MP3 CD Player to your car? Some are quite cheap. Some even have line-in or USB jack where you can connect portable player or external HD/Flash stick. Should be easy to install unless your car has its computer integrated to the player.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 15
I agree, FM transmitters will limit the audio quality. If you do use one, make sure that you can transmit at 87.9. Not all transmitters will do that. FM broadcasting usually starts at 88.1. I have a Griffin that will transmit at 87.9

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 15
I, too, have a griffin transmitter and it's mediocre at best. A cassette tape adapter in my old car sounded much better to my ears, but I have no tape deck now
frown.gif
. I think a unit with line-in capability is the way to go.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, too, have a griffin transmitter and it's mediocre at best. A cassette tape adapter in my old car sounded much better to my ears, but I have no tape deck now
frown.gif
. I think a unit with line-in capability is the way to go.

I agree, the cassette adapters deliver much better SQ than FM transmitters.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 15
If you find a good one, please report back, I have been frustrated with all such units I have ever used FAR too much interference, having to change frequencies every few miles and static and dropouts even then.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 15
fm transmitters sound poopy. one of the big probs is that depending on where you live there may or may not be a clear station to use (they usually only give you a few transmission options). If you don't have a clear one, you'll be competing with the local stations...I've done it....no bueno

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find a good one, please report back, I have been frustrated with all such units I have ever used FAR too much interference, having to change frequencies every few miles and static and dropouts even then.

I have a great one. fully pro.

but its illegal and will cost a bit.

broadcastwarehouse.com has pro quality kits. not what you want but you DID ask about higher end transmitters. this is it. (but not portable at all).

BW Broadcast PLL+ 1W Exciter - low cost at Broadcast Warehouse

also see the ramsey fm10 as a better kit with OK sound.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a great one. fully pro.

but its illegal and will cost a bit.

broadcastwarehouse.com has pro quality kits. not what you want but you DID ask about higher end transmitters. this is it. (but not portable at all).

BW Broadcast PLL+ 1W Exciter - low cost at Broadcast Warehouse

also see the ramsey fm10 as a better kit with OK sound.

The point is to be able to listen to my iPhone through my car speakers from Lafayette Louisiana to Biloxi Mississippi on my bi weekly trek to see my girlfriend. To be honest, I don't really care if my tiny radio station blasts out the signals of other cars passing me, but I am not a DIYer and really couldn't build anything like this. But so long as it fits in my car seat it's not too big.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 15
I used a few a few years back. I found them to be very unreliable. The tiny Belkin ones you get are pretty much useless unless you use them at home and have them right next to the receiver. On the road, there is way too much interference and too much dependence on where the unit is located.

I've heard the Griffin car adapter ones are a little better, but not sure how much better.

If you HAVE to get one, I would recommend going with "iriver AFT 100" as it plugs in directly to the car adapter, and as long as yours is on the front console in an accesible area with some room for the unit, its a good bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back