FM Broadcast And Retail In-Store Music Sub-feed
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheSonicTruth

1000+ Head-Fier
FM Broadcast And Retail In-Store Music Sub-feed

(If there is a more appropriate branch-forum for this topic please advise and feel free to relocate it.)

I became aware of the concept implied in my thread title: That a retail customer(the store itself) can subscribe to one of several background music/POSA(point-of-sale-announcements) services, some of which actually compile playlists by buffering songs played by several local or regional radio stations.

In the second-hand retail where I work, I noticed, indeed, that many of the songs I hear through my work day - especially the CHR and Hot100 items, contemporary RnB, etc, - do in fact get regular airplay on FM stations within 10-15miles of each of our stores' locations.

Our particular chain subscribes to 'MIR', or My In-Store Radio, which supplies the IP player(about the size of a '70s eight-track cartridge) and optionally the software to control content either at the store level, or as in our case, at the corporate level. All dozen or so shops in my district thusly receive the same playlist, and inject POSA announcements(rewards cards, days of certain discounts, COVID social distance advisories, etc).

The player plugs into a telephone/PA amp, with phone, mic, and line inputs for the music player. It cuts the music automatically when someone dials the code to page for a manager, etc. over the speakers.

What I'm interested in, specifically, is how this FM/buffered music cooperative thing works.

Thank you

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 18
I believe you misunderstood the concept of SCA - Subsidiary Communications Authority. From a transmission standpoint, it's a sub-carrier at 67kHz and/or 92kHz, frequency modulated with audio or data. Newer methods include digital spread-spectrum modulation with audio or data with a well controlled digitally generated block of frequencies that results in the total FM spectrum maintaining a profile within a 100kHz channel bandwidth. Other methods used have been single and independent dual-sideband suppressed carrier modulation for higher quality music, even stereo.

That capability is usually sold to a third party that provides the content. Muzak was an early pioneer in the usage of SCA for in-store music, and though they're gone now, SCAs remain in use for various purposes.

Today, however, with IP distribution being much cheaper, and with the capability of much higher quality, with individual user control and programming, it's unlikely theres much SCA music anymore. There may be some legacy systems still in use, but we're in the age of custom in-store audio and commercial content. SCA music doesn't adapt well to that.

The idea of receiving songs from multiple stations, "buffering" them, then re-streaming that as in-store content seems to me to be way out there. Overly complex, unnecessary, and in violation of several FCC rules regarding broadcast recording and rebroadcasting, and with many problems surrounding music licensing. I just cannot imaging that being reality. It's always been a single music stream from a third party, intended for multiple paid subscribers.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 18
The idea of receiving songs from multiple stations, "buffering" them, then re-streaming
that as in-store content seems to be way out there. Overly complex, unnecessary, and
in violation of several FCC rules regarding broadcast recording and rebroadcasting

But isn't that what ASCAP fees are paid for, either directly to such agency or as part of the monthly subscription to MIR(My Instore Radio), Muzak, etc.?

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 18
But isn't that what ASCAP fees are paid for, either directly to such agency or as part of the monthly subscription to MIR(My Instore Radio), Muzak, etc.?
Music licensing fees are paid by the entity supplying the music, in the case of anything on-air, the broadcaster. The fee is based on the market size, and "not for resale". It's illegal to play a radio station in a retail store as background music, though there are some store size limits to that.

But the concept makes zero sense anyway. With IP facilities, and customization, there's simply no need for a wide-broadcast distribution. You can load a store's entire customized playlist for the day in a few minutes, no rebroadcast issues, license properly paid, security maintained, etc.

Edit: one more point. In all major markets in the US, each station is encoded with sub-audible data that identifies it, essentially a "fingerprint" that is used for audience analysis. There are separate fingerprints for on air, internet stream, Hd1,2,3, etc. Listeners have a tiny device that "listens" along with them wherever they are, and phones the date home to the Nielsen company for compilation. The imprint is not removable. Even internet-only audio services, and subscription services are encoded. The concept you suggest would contain multiple id codes, and break the system.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 18
Music licensing fees are paid by the entity supplying the music, in the case of anything on-air,
the broadcaster. The fee is based on the market size, and "not for resale". It's illegal to play a
radio station in a retail store as background music, though there are some store size limits to that.

But the concept makes zero sense anyway. With IP facilities, and customization, there's simply
no need for a wide-broadcast distribution. You can load a store's entire customized playlist for
the day in a few minutes, no rebroadcast issues, license properly paid, security maintained, etc.

Remember: I'm from the retail era, post-disk - where reel-to-reel and later compact cassette tape provided the music and announcements.

So the FM band was used to subcarry music programmed specifically for a retail chain, and not 'buffered'(queued up like planes at an airport awaiting takeoff)?

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 18
Listeners have a tiny device that "listens" along with them wherever they are,
and phones the date home to the Nielsen company for compilation.

I WANT ONE OF THOSE where I work! lol

Our playlist is so out of touch: A lot of crappy covers of classic hits(1960s-80s) instead of the originals, and altogether too much hip-hop and rave/dance club/nightclub tracks after midday! Plus, 'Mercedes Benz' is not even one of Janis Joplin's memorable hits, yet it gets played 3-4 times per day here! Don't get me wrong: I listen to those, among other genres, in the car, at home, basically anywhere but at work. They seem to have the CHR down pat, with everything from 2010 to early 2020 - Rihanna, Bieber, Adele, John Legend, Coldplay, Shawn Mendez, Dua Lipa, et al.

I'd probably be "razzing" almost every other song they piped in! Not all of our customers and my co-workers are between 18-25 years old.

My local Shop Rites play a constant blend of 60s-80s, and I can sing along to every song, compared to the programming where I work

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Remember: I'm from the retail era, post-disk - where reel-to-reel and later compact cassette tape provided the music and announcements.

So the FM band was used to subcarry music programmed specifically for a retail chain, and not 'buffered'(queued up like planes at an airport awaiting takeoff)?
Yes, each SCA is one "station" with one program. In it's heyday, "storecasting" via SCA supported FM stations who hadn't collected any audience yet, and couldn't sell commercial time. The usage of reel-to-reels in stores was fairly limited, and really didn't happen all that much because it was an expensive means of distribution. Muzak, who pioneered the idea, started by distributing over phone lines, then moved to 16" discs cut with vertical modulation (so you couldn't play them at home), then they moved to SCA, which was much cheaper. They didn't customize their music, and were rather adamant that their mix was the "right mix". They didn't use commercially recorded music either, they hired orchestras and recorded their own version of popular tunes. The ran into problems with their public image when the promoted their "stimulus progression" concept, which had a particular pattern of music tempo, and progressed upward and downward over a 15 minute block, then even a period of silence was included. The goal was to promote some action on the part of the listener, better work production, more purchasing, whatever. This was viewed as "mind control" and eventually harmed the company significantly.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 18
I WANT ONE OF THOSE where I work! lol
Someone may already have had one there at some point.

Our playlist is so out of touch: A lot of crappy covers of classic hits(1960s-80s) instead of the originals, and altogether too much hip-hop and rave/dance club/nightclub tracks after midday! Plus, 'Mercedes Benz' is not even one of Janis Joplin's memorable hits, yet it gets played 3-4 times per day here! Don't get me wrong: I listen to those, among other genres, in the car, at home, basically anywhere but at work.

I'd be "razzing" almost every other song they piped in!

My local Shop Rites play a constant blend of 60s-80s, and I can sing along to every song, compared to the programming where I work
The covers get the provider around one level of licensing fees.

I could get into a discussion of how background music is used and misused today, but it sounds like your company just bought a cheap service. Bigger chains cut corporate deals to hold the cost down, but so much is driven by the royalties.

Mercedes Benz was one of the few Janis songs that made it into the Top 40. The rest of her stuff, though more typical of her, is actually not as well known because it didn't "chart".

Don't they play Bobbie McGee?

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 18
Someone may already have had one there at some point.

The covers get the provider around one level of licensing fees.

I could get into a discussion of how background music is used and misused
today, but it sounds like your company just bought a cheap service. Bigger
chains cut corporate deals to hold the cost down, but so much is driven by the
royalties.

Mercedes Benz was one of the few Janis songs that made it into the Top 40.
The rest of her stuff, though more typical of her, is actually not as well known
because it didn't "chart".

Don't they play Bobbie McGee?

I wish they would play that!

Periodically our system would seize upon a particular top-fiver, a month or so after it peaked on FM: IE in early 2017, Drake's "Hotline Bling" got played twice per HOUR. "Usedta call me on my cell phone!.." Grrrr, made me cringe. If you're gonna play R&B, play Kool &'The Gang, Luther Vandross, SOS Band. In 2018, the same with Charlie Puth's "Attention"(which I like by the way). I was told somebody in our corporate Marketing dept handled the music programming and from what it sounds like, it just seems like whomever it is is just combining boiler plate playlists, or doesn't really know how to use the software effectively. Plus: MIR does have some modest processing plugins(EQ, Comp) which I think they use too much of.

One year, when the predecessor to our MIR went on the fritz, I just whipped out my iPhone, hooked it up to a small but decent sounding bookshelf unit from twenty years ago, and played THIS exact clip:

When my young co-workers wondered what it was, I just told them: RETAIL STORE music, like they had in Woolworths when I was your age! :wink: "What's Woolworth?" Sigh, ask your parents! lol

Equal oppty assault on the senses.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 18
Time was, retail music was designed to stimulate the business, not entertain the customers and workers. That meant unfamiliar, or less familiar music programmed for pacing and feel. To that end, everything done today in retail music is completely wrong. Playing familiar songs stimulates like/dislike reactions based on familiarity and stimulates memories which interfere with creative thinking, the kind that results in sales. But no matter, that's the way it is. I am always bewildered at the choices programmers make for retail music. Including playing stereo mixes on widely spaced overhead speakers. So the Mommas and Poppas become just the Poppas. Or the Beatles sing A cappella, or it's the instrumental version. Just another step in the dumbing down of audio in general.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 18
Time was, retail music was designed to stimulate the business, not entertain the customers and workers. That meant unfamiliar, or less familiar music programmed for pacing and feel. To that end, everything done today in retail music is completely wrong. Playing familiar songs stimulates like/dislike reactions based on familiarity and stimulates memories which interfere with creative thinking, the kind that results in sales. But no matter, that's the way it is. I am always bewildered at the choices programmers make for retail music. Including playing stereo mixes on widely spaced overhead speakers. So the Mommas and Poppas become just the Poppas. Or the Beatles sing A cappella, or it's the instrumental version. Just another step in the dumbing down of audio in general.

Yeah, the Kresge or Seeburg music I mentioned was more neutral.

Funny you should mention stereo vs mono. The MIR player has stereo RCA outs, and only one channel is connected! Like you said, what do retailers know about in-store music - unless we're talking a music store! On modern music, while you don't lose entire vocals, but everything seems to bedded in ambient reverb - which is more widely panned left & right than other elements(rhythm, vocals). Since the IT guy's last visit, and knowing that I'm an audio guy, they make sure the closet where the PA is located is always shut! Otherwise I would donate a spare RCA Y-cable to feed both channels to the system.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Yeah, the Kresge or Seeburg music I mentioned was more neutral.

Funny you should mention stereo vs mono. The MIR player has stereo RCA outs, and only one channel is connected! Like you said, what do retailers know about in-store music - unless we're talking a music store! On modern music, while you don't lose entire vocals, but everything seems to bedded in ambient reverb - which is more widely panned left & right than other elements(rhythm, vocals). Since the IT guy's last visit, and knowing that I'm an audio guy, they make sure the closet where the PA is located is always shut! Otherwise I would donate a spare RCA Y-cable to feed both channels to the system.
I fault the music service. Somewhere in their system there should be a mono mix method, either at the device output, or in the stream. And the setup instructions should have that problem taken care of. Or the sound system installer should have done it. So many opportunities to fix it, It's just sloppy.

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 18
This is the paging amp used in our stores - dang if I could figure out who manufactured it(NOT Audio Technica)! There are several for sale online.

IMG_2185.JPG

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 18
Wow. Toa is uphill from that. And they aren't uphill from much.

It's a way for a contractor to get a job by underbidding and cheaping out on the hardware. I'll be the speakers are work $15 each. So funny, because the cost of a distributed system is mostly labor anyway. So if cost was saved in this case by using cheap gear, then I'd question the quality of the labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back