Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
May 15, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #33 of 2,598
I was initially interested in the FA10 having seen both the soundnews and Headfonia reviews, but on speaking to Vitaliy at FLA at some length about my preferences and kit, he recommended the FA12. I intend to use it with Focal Elegia and Senn HD820 neither of which are hard to drive despite the Hd820s being rated 300ohm, so i dont need the power of the FA12. The other deciding factor is that i was looking to partner with my Hugo2, which i love but if had to find fault, it would be the slight dryness and ever so slight hard edges in upper mids-treble. I use to partner it and my TT2 with a feliks audio euforia ae OTL amp, but with the recent world events i had to scale back my system, to make up for my clients not buying the films a i make, so the TT2 and Euforia had to go. The Euforia brought just the right amount of warmth/wetness to the chord house sound, without any or negligible loss of resolution and from what Vitaliy says the FA12 will do just that and has more than enough power for my HPs. I like dynamic driver HP's so its likely driving any future purchases shouldnt be an issue either.

There is of course also the option to pair it with a balanced source in the future too, but as i say this wasnt really a factor in my decision making, it more came down to the desired colour that the FA12 will bring to my existing set-up. If there needed to be clincher, then the high end features like the volume control and equally high end componentry all of which i've not seen at this price point, pushed me over the edge!
Thanks for the reply and Sorry to hear that , i hope these crazy times pass and everybody is safe and sound and things go back to normal ,,
you have a really nice collection of gear , i guess you made the better choice if the FA12 is warmer , it would work better with the focal and HD820, can't wait for your impressions.

May 17, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #34 of 2,598
Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #36 of 2,598
Hi, guys! I am now also in search of a balanced high-power amp. To be exact, I look for something better than my balanced NFB-1 Amp, especially considering soundstage, separation and resolution. To be honest, NFB-1 is quite OK, but still not perfect. Also waiting for an overview of the balanced FA-12, but at the same time I have a vague feeling that it can be compared to my NFB-1...

May 25, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #37 of 2,598
Hi, guys! I am now also in search of a balanced high-power amp. To be exact, I look for something better than my balanced NFB-1 Amp, especially considering soundstage, separation and resolution. To be honest, NFB-1 is quite OK, but still not perfect. Also waiting for an overview of the balanced FA-12, but at the same time I have a vague feeling that it can be compared to my NFB-1...

What headphone do you have ? Why do you want to go balanced ?

May 25, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #38 of 2,598

my FA12 might be arriving this week. According to the tracking it’s been airborn somewhere between Kiev and London for nearly 2 weeks. One reason could be DHL may have resorted to using hot air balloons during the pandemic?? :wink:

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #39 of 2,598
I’m tempting to replace my order of FA-10 by FCN-10. I have received a Poly and wanted to do streaming from it but it’s a nightmare : it just doesn’t work at all, no wifi connection, no bitperfect control, etc. Too bad because I just love the sound from my Mojo. I have to read more about FCN-10.

May 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #40 of 2,598
What headphone do you have ? Why do you want to go balanced ?
My headphones are the isodynamic Snorry SI-1 mk2 (they are now on their way, but I've listened to them, and really impressed). They are balanced, and the NFB-1 is balanced. But, as a matter of fact, being balanced is not the ultimate goal. Simply, NFB-1 is a little on the soft side, and I feel some (but not so considerable) lack of resolution.

And from what I've read (also from the answers of the Fluxlab's representatives), I have a feeling that FA-12 is also on the warm side. But still, FA-12 boasts more resolution than NFB-1 and is punchier. And I think FA-12 has a wider soundstage, which is also important for me.

But FA-12 is considerably less powerfull, which means it's not so universal, especially for planars.

I would have considered FA-10 (not balanced, but even more powerful than NFB-1), but have no idea as to it's character of sound (soundstage, resolution, tonal balance).

By the way, FCN-10 also looks attractive, as it has a top DAC chip and the FA10's amplification chain. But, again, no reviews so far.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #41 of 2,598
My headphones are the isodynamic Snorry SI-1 mk2 (they are now on their way, but I've listened to them, and really impressed). They are balanced, and the NFB-1 is balanced. But, as a matter of fact, being balanced is not the ultimate goal. Simply, NFB-1 is a little on the soft side, and I feel some (but not so considerable) lack of resolution.

And from what I've read (also from the answers of the Fluxlab's representatives), I have a feeling that FA-12 is also on the warm side. But still, FA-12 boasts more resolution than NFB-1 and is punchier. And I think FA-12 has a wider soundstage, which is also important for me.

But FA-12 is considerably less powerfull, which means it's not so universal, especially for planars.

I would have considered FA-10 (not balanced, but even more powerful than NFB-1), but have no idea as to it's character of sound (soundstage, resolution, tonal balance).

By the way, FCN-10 also looks attractive, as it has a top DAC chip and the FA10's amplification chain. But, again, no reviews so far.

soundnews review goes pretty in-depth with good range of comparisons :)

May 28, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #42 of 2,598
Guys, have you compared the FA-10/12 to the THX AAA-789? What are the differences in sound signature? Is that even a fair comparison? I am assuming the FA-10/12 are a class above the THX. I don't suppose anyone has compared the Flux amps to the new Topping A90 amp, which on paper has perfect measurements but nobody seems to be talking about its sound signature and synergy.

I'm fancying the FA-12 in combination with the HD800s, as a cheaper alternative to the Violectric V280.

May 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #43 of 2,598
Guys, have you compared the FA-10/12 to the THX AAA-789? What are the differences in sound signature? Is that even a fair comparison? I am assuming the FA-10/12 are a class above the THX. I don't suppose anyone has compared the Flux amps to the new Topping A90 amp, which on paper has perfect measurements but nobody seems to be talking about its sound signature and synergy.

I'm fancying the FA-12 in combination with the HD800s, as a cheaper alternative to the Violectric V280.

unfortunately apart from review samples I donot think many of these have landed yet for anyone to make these comparisons. My fa12 should be here in the next few days (allegedly), is which I bought to run with my new Covid induced stripped down system hd820s and hugo2/2go. I have had violetric 281 and phonitor xe for a while too and although I maybe over egging my epectations, I’m hoping it will be better than both. FA are definitely talking a very good game, but obvs only listening will tell. And hopefully I’ll be reporting back sooner than later :wink:

May 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #44 of 2,598
unfortunately apart from review samples I donot think many of these have landed yet for anyone to make these comparisons. My fa12 should be here in the next few days (allegedly), is which I bought to run with my new Covid induced stripped down system hd820s and hugo2/2go. I have had violetric 281 and phonitor xe for a while too and although I maybe over egging my epectations, I’m hoping it will be better than both. FA are definitely talking a very good game, but obvs only listening will tell. And hopefully I’ll be reporting back sooner than later :wink:

V281 is a powerful amp, maybe FA-10 was more suitable to replace it. Why did you choose FA-12 ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back