Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #886 of 2,598
any infor regarding the Volot ?

I think I can no longer wait for the Volot as I likely need to move on for a GSX mkii / GSX Mini, or Moon 430 instead. I need a near TOTL amp for my 1266's for Christmas break and the Volot likely won't be available with credible reviews by then at this point.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #887 of 2,598
Looking intensely at the FA-10, FA-12, and FA-12S for pairing with my Auteurs.

I like that you can choose face plate color with the 12s, but I'm worried that it and the regular 12 might be too warm or not dynamic/exciting/driving enough. Basically I want a SS sound with just some smoothness, warmth, or cohesion to color the sound so it doesn't sound clinical.

I'll contact Flux later to get some advice.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #888 of 2,598

I like that you can choose face plate color with the 12s, but I'm worried that it and the regular 12 might be too warm or not dynamic/exciting/driving enough. Basically I want a SS sound with just some smoothness, warmth, or cohesion to color the sound so it doesn't sound clinical.

I have the FA-12 with a Bifrost 2 and Eikons. Sounds great.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #889 of 2,598

If you email Flux, they will let you change the face plate to whatever color you would like. It's available to any of the FA amps.

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #890 of 2,598
If you email Flux, they will let you change the face plate to whatever color you would like. It's available to any of the FA amps.

You know, I actually wondered about that just a bit ago because those amps look the same size, but I only saw the color option on the FA-12S.

Yea, going to check with them and then probably order the FA-10. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #891 of 2,598
I have the FA-12 with a Bifrost 2 and Eikons. Sounds great.

I don't think I could go wrong with any of those amps, but I'm leaning towards playing it safer with the FA-10.

We'll see. Thanks for the input!

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #892 of 2,598
I don't think I could go wrong with any of those amps, but I'm leaning towards playing it safer with the FA-10.

We'll see. Thanks for the input!

I dont think you can go wrong either. My personal preference is for FA12 but not because it was technically better i just preferred the greater bass presence and fuller mids. Definiton and dynamics-wise they're pretty even match, its just the 12 has the x-factor over other SS amps i've owned or heard. What HPs are you looking to pair?

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #893 of 2,598

Then FA-10

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #894 of 2,598
Obvs not identitcal but similar, the hd820s sound great with f10, where as the ether c flow 1.1s sound better on the fa12 and have become my go to pairing
Yes, I owned the HD820's for a period. Loved the tonality of them. I'm not familiar with any of the Dan Clark Audio gear except the Ether 2's. I find your amp pairings for the two headphones interesting. The HD800S's are really similar in sound to the HD820's. The HD820's are slightly warmer and slightly bassier than the HD800's. This could be why you prefer the HD820's on the FA-10 because it's a little brighter possibly. This leads be think that the FA-12 is infusing some warmth into the Ether C Flow 1.1's and might be what the HD800S's need. I need to hear the FA-12.

This will actually be my 2nd go around with the HD800S's. I find the FA-10 to offer the very nice blend of warmth and technical abilities with all of my headphones. Talking with Vitaliy, he said I needed both the FA-12 and FA-10, lol. He just might be right. I do have a modded LP for extra warmth and detail if needed. The FA-10 does edge the out LP in detail, dynamics. The LP brings a wider soundstage and holographic imaging. With the right tubes it can bring the bass slam and meaty midrange similar to the FA-10 as well. Both are great amps and yet I'm still interested in the FA-12.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #895 of 2,598

I second what @cfranchi said about going with the FA-10 if those are the characteristics you're looking for in an amp. The FA-10 is all of those things and more. I previously owned the Auteurs and although they are somewhat neutral sounding they have quite a bit of bass and midrange presence. I think the FA-10 will do well to open them up a bit while maintaining what makes the Auteurs such great headphones. I also think the FA-10 will have iron grip on the drivers as well.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #896 of 2,598
Fuse update: The Hifi Tuning is working just fine in the FA-10. While the sonic improvement is not as drastic as the SR Orange, it’s less than a 1/3 of the price and actually reliable! In my Sboosters, I’d say the performance is comparable to the SR Blue fuses - based on memory.

In case members in the US are interested to know: Hifi Tuning fuses are a bit cheaper when purchasing from UK/EU even with shipping. MusicDirect has the FA-10 size fuse on sale for $60 if you prefer a domestic source, otherwise, they list at $75 elsewhere. I paid $145 including shipping for 3 from Analog Seduction in the UK. They took less than a week to arrive.
@funkur I just popped in the Hifi Tuning Supreme 2A fast blow fuse in my FA-10 and to my surprise the increase in overall clarity is noticeable right away. I can confirm the background is blacker because the sound of the FA-10 is clearer, cleaner, and more resolving. Notes sounds a little crisper and more precise while keeping everything else pretty much the same on the FA-10. It's a nice tweak to an already impressive amp. The FA-10 now sound more refined, it's amazing really.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #897 of 2,598
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful input.

I contacted Flux so I'll see what info/advice they give me and then I'll report back with it.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #898 of 2,598
@funkur I just popped in the Hifi Tuning Supreme 2A fast blow fuse in my FA-10 and to my surprise the increase in overall clarity is noticeable right away. I can confirm the background is blacker because the sound of the FA-10 is clearer, cleaner, and more resolving. Notes sounds a little crisper and more precise while keeping everything else pretty much the same on the FA-10. It's a nice tweak to an already impressive amp. The FA-10 now sound more refined, it's amazing really.

Did you notice these improvements straight out of the box, because i've always found fuses to take a good month or so before they come on song. These seem like a real bargain compared to synergistic research, so i tempted to give it go. Sorry i'm being lazy, but please could you share the spec/size of the fuse that you've bought. thanks :)

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #899 of 2,598
Did you notice these improvements straight out of the box, because i've always found fuses to take a good month or so before they come on song. These seem like a real bargain compared to synergistic research, so i tempted to give it go. Sorry i'm being lazy, but please could you share the spec/size of the fuse that you've bought. thanks :)
Yes it was noticeable right away to my ears. I could detect some liveliness in the transients and a darker background right out of the box. The Hifi Tuning Fuse I got is the 2A version of this one:

https://www.musicdirect.com/fuses/hifi-tuning-fuses-supreme-small-fast

I think it's a nice tweak and I expect it to only get better sounding with burn-in. It has a silver core with gold coating. I expected it to add some brightness based on that alone. It did in the right spots to really clean up the signal.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #900 of 2,598
Yes it was noticeable right away to my ears. I could detect some liveliness in the transients and a darker background right out of the box. The Hifi Tuning Fuse I got is the 2A version of this one:

https://www.musicdirect.com/fuses/hifi-tuning-fuses-supreme-small-fast

I think it's a nice tweak and I expect it to only get better sounding with burn-in. It has a silver core with gold coating. I expected it to add some brightness based on that alone. It did in the right spots to really clean up the signal.
s a

Is the 2A fast blow also the specs of the stock fuse in the FA-10 or are you "upping the ante" on the specs? I have some synergistic research orange and blue fuses that I have been afraid to use in part because I have been too lazy to try them, but also partly because of what I have read here about fuses getting blown etc. etc. I have managed to install a couple of SR Blues in my Metrum Ambre, and there too the results were immediately palpable, but that's just about it. I might try one of these Hifi tuning fuses on the FA-10 as a "dry run" and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back