Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
May 16, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,651 of 2,598
I don't own FA-12 but I know it is around 2.5W. I doubt you will get the most from Abyss 1266 from 2.5 Amp in terms of Bass depth/dynamics etc. as it requires a lot of headroom. Since you already have FA-12, would recommend to pair with Abyss 1266 first to see if it works well and if does not then you can buy another powerful amp.
Yeah I agree with you on this. I reached out to Abyss and they said that the 1266 scales with head room but I should be able to get sufficient volume out of it since I was able to use the HE6-SE with the FA-12 without issue. I think, like you suggested, that I will wait to see how the 1266 sounds out of the FA-12 before deciding if I want a more powerful amp or not. I have other amps that do up to 6w but they don't seem to have the current that planars like. I used to use the HE6-SE with the THX 789 which does 6w at 32 ohms but using it on the FA-12 feels like this amp is driving it better I'm guessing due to the class A design.

Also I asked Vitaliy what he thought about the FA-10 or FA-10 pro. He said that he prefers pairing the FA-10 pro with an r2r dac as the FA-10 with an r2r dac could be too warm but obviously this is a very subjective decision. However if I end up with an FA-10 for use with the 1266 it would probably be the pro model. Also he said lead time for the FA-10 pro to ship is 1 week.

May 16, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,652 of 2,598
Yeah I agree with you on this. I reached out to Abyss and they said that the 1266 scales with head room but I should be able to get sufficient volume out of it since I was able to use the HE6-SE with the FA-12 without issue. I think, like you suggested, that I will wait to see how the 1266 sounds out of the FA-12 before deciding if I want a more powerful amp or not. I have other amps that do up to 6w but they don't seem to have the current that planars like. I used to use the HE6-SE with the THX 789 which does 6w at 32 ohms but using it on the FA-12 feels like this amp is driving it better I'm guessing due to the class A design.

Also I asked Vitaliy what he thought about the FA-10 or FA-10 pro. He said that he prefers pairing the FA-10 pro with an r2r dac as the FA-10 with an r2r dac could be too warm but obviously this is a very subjective decision. However if I end up with an FA-10 for use with the 1266 it would probably be the pro model. Also he said lead time for the FA-10 pro to ship is 1 week.
THX 789 with 6W also can drive Abyss 1266 but it may not be on the same technicality level as Abyss 1266 but I do know friends who are contented with this pairing.

Apart from Power, one other point to consider here is the sound signature. I have used 1266 with Neutral transparent amp like Simaudio Moon Neo 430 as well as with Class A Musical, slightly warmer amp like FCN-10. IMO 1266 shines for someone who wants engaging extremes in Bass and Treble so I don't consider this as easy listening, a Neutral amp like Moon Neo 430 accentuates 1266 Bass and Treble to double down and especially if there is Treble in the song then you will hear it loud & clear. I am a "Give me more" kind of a guy so I thoroughly like this pairing though this pairing is not for hours of listening to my ears which can tire out after 1-2 hours. But FA-10 is going to keep a check in the Treble area of 1266 and make it for longer listening while still not rolling off the Treble. FA-12 will be bit more warmer than FA-10 , an R2R DAC can add even more warmth to keep 1266 Treble on leash so you can assess how FA-10 will sound with 1266 once listened to FA-12/R2R. All the best !

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,653 of 2,598
Posted this elsewhere but thought it fitting to share here :beerchug:

PXL_20210516_012256482.PORTRAIT.jpg

May 18, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,654 of 2,598
I don't own FA-12 but I know it is around 2.5W. I doubt you will get the most from Abyss 1266 from 2.5W in terms of Bass depth/dynamics etc. as it requires a lot of headroom. Since you already have FA-12, would recommend to pair with Abyss 1266 first to see if it works well and if does not then you can buy another powerful amp.
Best to shoot for 5 watts. 8-ish at the sweet spot. But really there is no exact hard-fast rule. Some whom like the tube characteristic may not like current feedback amplifiers.

May 18, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,655 of 2,598
Posted this elsewhere but thought it fitting to share here :beerchug:

PXL_20210516_012256482.PORTRAIT.jpg
Very nice, just saw your video. You mentioned the FA-12 S is on the top but what Flux amp is on the bottom?

May 18, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,656 of 2,598
Very nice, just saw your video. You mentioned the FA-12 S is on the top but what Flux amp is on the bottom?

Thanks, the bottom is the FA-10. Curious how they compared to each other

May 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #1,657 of 2,598
Thanks, the bottom is the FA-10. Curious how they compared to each other
I’m curious to hear your thoughts! Is that the space gray color panel on the FA-10? Looks sleek 😎 I’m thinking of changing my order to have that faceplate now 😂

May 19, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #1,658 of 2,598
I'm also interested to hear! I'm trying to decide between the HE6se and Arya now, and then also between the FA-12 and FA-10 depending on which route I take :sweat_smile: I would assume the FA-10 is the way to go for the HE6se obviously...

I have ordered HE1000 v2 from Hifiman, I had a good price (1800 EUR) for a brand new headphone but in a generic package (no wooden box, no manual).

I’ll tell you how they sing with my Flux FCN10.

May 19, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,659 of 2,598
I have ordered HE1000 v2 from Hifiman, I had a good price (1800 EUR) for a brand new headphone but in a generic package (no wooden box, no manual).

I’ll tell you how they sing with my Flux FCN10.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! I did end up ordering the FA-10 on the advice of Viacheslav at FluxLab. Wasn’t quite ready to ditch my Bifrost 2 in favor of another DAC yet to make the jump to the FCN-10.

May 19, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,660 of 2,598
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! I did end up ordering the FA-10 on the advice of Viacheslav at FluxLab. Wasn’t quite ready to ditch my Bifrost 2 in favor of another DAC yet to make the jump to the FCN-10.
You’ll be quite happy with FA-10, I see that you have finally HE6se ?

May 19, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,661 of 2,598
You’ll be quite happy with FA-10, I see that you have finally HE6se ?
Right now I still have both the HE6se and Arya. I have until June 2nd to decide if I want to return the Arya. Right now I'm actually leaning towards the Arya and selling the He6se, mostly for the soundstage, but hopefully the FA-10 gets here before then so I can hear which I like better.

May 19, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,662 of 2,598
Right now I still have both the HE6se and Arya. I have until June 2nd to decide if I want to return the Arya. Right now I'm actually leaning towards the Arya and selling the He6se, mostly for the soundstage, but hopefully the FA-10 gets here before then so I can hear which I like better.

Interesting, I’m wondering if HEK may replace my HE6se… what I love about HE6se is the tonality and timbre, so lifelike and with great impact. Except soundstage what do you prefer in Arya ?

May 19, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #1,663 of 2,598
Interesting, I’m wondering if HEK may replace my HE6se… what I love about HE6se is the tonality and timbre, so lifelike and with great impact. Except soundstage what do you prefer in Arya ?
Honestly, kinda nothing! The soundstage is more spacious and immersive with much larger images (which I love for movies), and the forward depth is much more clear and accurate imaging-wise. Like if you're listening to a symphony, you can easily tell apart the woodwind section and each players distinct location. It's a little flatter with the HE6se.

The bass is also a good bit warmer on the Arya as well. But you're right, the timbre, impact, and tonality of the HE6 is the best I've ever heard in a planar.

Edit: Forgot about the comfort! Way, way better on the Arya.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,664 of 2,598
Honestly, kinda nothing! The soundstage is more spacious and immersive with much larger images (which I love for movies), and the forward depth is much more clear and accurate imaging-wise. Like if you're listening to a symphony, you can easily tell apart the woodwind section and each players distinct location. It's a little flatter with the HE6se.

The bass is also a good bit warmer on the Arya as well. But you're right, the timbre, impact, and tonality of the HE6 is the best I've ever heard in a planar.

Edit: Forgot about the comfort! Way, way better on the Arya.
Are you amping HE6se with liquid platinum ? It delivers 3.6w @50 ohm, should be enough I guess (FA-10 is 10.5w @50 ohm) : I’m curious to hear your comparison, maybe having both will not be necessary.

May 21, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #1,665 of 2,598
Hi guys. Fa-12 user here. I've been a little disconnected from the forum due to work...

I was today listening to some music, and about 30min after turning the amp on, the left driver stopped sounding. I did some troubleshooting and connected the headphones to another amp to see if it was headphones or amp....
The headphones worked, so i plugged back the headphones into the fa12, shut down the unit, and turned it back up.
It's been working fine since then, about 2hours. Should I worry?
What can be the reason behind this channel going off suddenly?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back