Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
May 3, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,637 of 2,598
May 3, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #1,638 of 2,598
TBH the SE out works perfect and sounds good as well, but I kind of got the FA-12 for the Bal output, I have emailed them , lets hope vitality come back with a fix for it.
I don't know if this is related to our problems, but it looks like my FA-12 has Taiwanese power supply caps by Hitano instead of the touted Japanese caps on the FLUX website. See pictures below, and compare to the official FA-12 pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpeg
    IMG_0473.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • FA-12.jpg
    FA-12.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,639 of 2,598
I don't know if this is related to our problems, but it looks like my FA-12 has Taiwanese power supply caps by Hitano instead of the touted Japanese caps on the FLUX website. See pictures below, and compare to the official FA-12 pics.
Those don't account for your problems. You would have issues in both channels and they would affect the entire amp not just the volume control.

May 3, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,640 of 2,598
Yea I doubt there's a cause of the issue, I did switch the amp off and turn the volume knob all the way a few times and turn it back on again it seems to work fine again. Having said that its somewhat discomforting they arent using the components as advertised on the website, but I wouldnt think sonically or structurally makes a difference hitano or nichicon.... correct me if im wrong....

May 3, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #1,641 of 2,598
I wouldnt think sonically or structurally makes a difference hitano or nichicon.... correct me if im wrong....
Those caps are part of the power supply, their impact on sound quality is minimal. The critical ones are the all the other ones that are closer to the signal path. Mine has the same caps pictured in their website. My guess would be that with the global component shortage they had to use a replacement.

May 10, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,642 of 2,598
I've replaced the pot with what Vitaliy sent me and after several days of non stop burn in, the channel did not go out and I think I don't have the clicking issue, but I haven't had time to actually listen to my headphones for some time. It looks like the problem is from assembly. I think the issue is over tightening the nut holding the pot in the case is causing the issues, but hey I'm not an EE... anymore.

May 10, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,643 of 2,598
I've replaced the pot with what Vitaliy sent me and after several days of non stop burn in, the channel did not go out and I think I don't have the clicking issue, but I haven't had time to actually listen to my headphones for some time. It looks like the problem is from assembly. I think the issue is over tightening the nut holding the pot in the case is causing the issues, but hey I'm not an EE... anymore.
whats an EE? but coming back to my unit, It seems like its working fine currently , i havent done anything to it after from switching it off for a while and turn back on...

May 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,646 of 2,598
Got a Denafrips Pontus II in the mail today. The size match is excellent with the FA-12 amp both from the front as you can see in the picture and also from the top. The FA-12 is a bit smaller in each dimension compared to the Denafrips dac so it sits nicely on top. I've only listened for a bit but coming from the ADI-2 to the Pontus II I think I'm hearing some more details especially with female vocals and the sound feels more lively. I'll try and add some more impressions later especially if I go back to the ADI-2 so I can let people know what sort of difference you can expect when pairing with the FA-12.
pontusii.jpg

May 13, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,647 of 2,598
Got a Denafrips Pontus II in the mail today. The size match is excellent with the FA-12 amp both from the front as you can see in the picture and also from the top. The FA-12 is a bit smaller in each dimension compared to the Denafrips dac so it sits nicely on top. I've only listened for a bit but coming from the ADI-2 to the Pontus II I think I'm hearing some more details especially with female vocals and the sound feels more lively. I'll try and add some more impressions later especially if I go back to the ADI-2 so I can let people know what sort of difference you can expect when pairing with the FA-12. pontusii.jpg
I'm very interested in your impressions... I would like to make a similar combo with Pontus 2 and Volot, if it ever be released and if my economy allows it...

The problem will be Volot size, I will have to put them separated, and not in a stack.

May 14, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #1,648 of 2,598
How do they sing together ?
I'm also interested to hear! I'm trying to decide between the HE6se and Arya now, and then also between the FA-12 and FA-10 depending on which route I take :sweat_smile: I would assume the FA-10 is the way to go for the HE6se obviously...

May 15, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #1,649 of 2,598
Circling back to this thread, been a little. I received a brand new volume control part from Flux in the mail out of the blue. I had an intermittent issue when I first purchased my FA-12, but never after that first day. I did replace it, thinking it was maybe a faulty design and they shipped me a replacement for that reason.
After further inspection they are exactly the same, its a very small part, and it's been working flawlessly, as before I replaced it.

May 16, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #1,650 of 2,598
I'm curious if anyone has used the Abyss 1266 with the FA-12? Obviously the FA-10 would be a better pairing but as I'm considering getting a 1266 and already have a FA-12 I wonder if spending the extra $$ on a FA-10 is worth it.

I posted in the past about driving the HE6-SE with the FA-12 and how I was able to get sufficient volume. Since the HE6-SE is harder to drive than the 1266 on paper I'm more interested if the FA-12 will give enough power to the 1266 for dynamics, impact, etc. instead of just playing music loud enough.

I don't own FA-12 but I know it is around 2.5W. I doubt you will get the most from Abyss 1266 from 2.5W in terms of Bass depth/dynamics etc. as it requires a lot of headroom. Since you already have FA-12, would recommend to pair with Abyss 1266 first to see if it works well and if does not then you can buy another powerful amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back