Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Jun 30, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #211 of 996
Might have to reach out to them as I didn't ask about a remote in the first place

Edit: Got an email later today talking about the remote so sounds like it's for everyone even if you did not ask for a remote when you initially ordered

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #212 of 996
And here it is!

Attachments

• 20210701_161917.jpg
    20210701_161917.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210701_161906.jpg
    20210701_161906.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #215 of 996
I'm really envious.

Is the depth of the amp really 430mm?

Sadly won't have time till later this evening. Yes, it's about 43cm deep, that includes the protuding parts (volume pot at the front and jack at the back). It's built like a tank and the package was huge!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #216 of 996
And here it is!
Yay! Now we're talking. I am also eager to hear your first impressions, but then, if I'm not mistaken, for any impressions to be more reliable, it's probably going to be ideal to allow the Volot to "cook" for some time (days), while it makes its acquaintance and tests its synergy with the rest of your gear, as well as your listening practices and preferences. Either way, those impressions would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #217 of 996
That looks huge in your pictures. Getting a little worried about how well I will be able to fit it on my desk. Definitely will have to get a rack sooner rather than later to handle my audio equipment better.

I look forward to some of your initial impressions and thoughts over the next few days / weeks. I think mine is going through customs at the moment so maybe I will have it some time next week. I hope the wait is worth it for all that ordered it and that it sounds great.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #218 of 996
I ended up getting a Soloist 3XP for my main hp amp instead... Excited to hear impressions of the Volot (w/1266, Susvara, HE6) but likely I'll be a buyer on the used market in 1-2 years. It does indeed look like a beast and I'm glad it's a massive tank and not a little piece of kit. Impressive looking indeed!

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #219 of 996
Finally some listening time! It's soon, but I'm already liking what I'm hearing. Awesome spaciousness and precision, power seems not to have limits, high gain setting already plenty enough for the AB1266, Gain+ not needed, where my old Malvalve Headamp Three was at its limits. Volume apart I thought it sounded fine, but it's immediately evident how much more in control the Volot is with the Abyss. There's much more "meat" in the sound, the Malvalve sounded thin in comparison. Obviously not powerful enough.
One thing that I don't like it's that gain and input settings reset to lowest value every time the amp gets shut off. Being my preferred input "3" (XLR) and my gain setting "high" I have to set them each time I turn on the amp. A bit irritating.
EDIT: not true, see below

Attachments

• 20210701_212904.jpg
    20210701_212904.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #220 of 996
One thing that I don't like it's that gain and input settings reset to lowest value every time the amp gets shut off. Being my preferred input "3" (XLR) and my gain setting "high" I have to set them each time I turn on the amp. A bit irritating.
That sucks. You'd think something obvious like that would have been addressed in the build and testing.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #221 of 996
Looks like Flux is monitoring the thread. Vitalyi just emailed me telling that presets should be kept, one just has to wait 10 seconds after setting them.
Indeed, today I turned it off immediately after having touched those settings, as I had no time to listen.
Will check later once I turn it off, haha.
I was scratching my head on such an omission.

Edit: and indeed it retained the settings this time, sry for the wrong information.

As expected, the amp doesn't stay cool after a while, but honestly I expected it to heat much more given its topology. My old Malvalve heated much more (tubes, of course).

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #222 of 996
That looks huge in your pictures. Getting a little worried about how well I will be able to fit it on my desk. Definitely will have to get a rack sooner rather than later to handle my audio equipment better.

This is not a desktop friendly amp for sure!
It may not look that big on my pictures, but that's because the T+A MP3000HV on the lower floor is mighty...

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #223 of 996
Yay! Now we're talking. I am also eager to hear your first impressions, but then, if I'm not mistaken, for any impressions to be more reliable, it's probably going to be ideal to allow the Volot to "cook" for some time (days), while it makes its acquaintance and tests its synergy with the rest of your gear, as well as your listening practices and preferences. Either way, those impressions would be really appreciated.

They recommend 100h burn in time, and to turn it on 30 minutes prior to music listening to reach its full potential.

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #224 of 996
This is not a desktop friendly amp for sure!
Yes I think it might look a bit silly on my desk once it arrives although I know I have plenty of space for it. I'll share pictures so those with desks can see what it looks like. With your Volot, does the top metal flex at all? It does a bit on my FA-12 but only with significant force. I'm hoping to stack my dac on top of it temporarily and want to make sure it won't do the amp much harm.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #225 of 996
Yes I think it might look a bit silly on my desk once it arrives although I know I have plenty of space for it. I'll share pictures so those with desks can see what it looks like. With your Volot, does the top metal flex at all? It does a bit on my FA-12 but only with significant force. I'm hoping to stack my dac on top of it temporarily and want to make sure it won't do the amp much harm.

Yep, it does flex a bit, but nothing to worry about imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back