flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #38,281 of 39,414
Traillii and Indigo occupied the highest rank of iems for me
Traillii has the excellent soundstage
Indigo has the best imaging
I've tried my best to find out which iem can make me feel the vibration of the bass.(not about the quantity of bass, is about the reproduction and definition of bass) Traillii and Indigo do it very well, which I can't find from others till now.
Both are all arounder for me.
Um and Oriolus did great jobs!
Screenshot_2022-02-12-03-04-28-1.png
What source do you use?

And may I ask you to provide short comparison between Indigo on PWA FT vs Indigo on stock cable?

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #38,282 of 39,414
The best and most natural compliment to Phonix imho.
+1, has to be EXT. They're non-identical twins, same parents. It's a match made in OCD heaven. Between them you have all your bases covered.

The only catch, like a few have already said, is fit. After a few hours spent switching between EXT and Z1R, my ears feel like they're in an abusive relationship with EXT... 😅🙉

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #38,283 of 39,414
I may be able to report something about the combination of the FT with the Indigo in one or two weeks - then hopefully my new Indigo will be delivered. The FT already came last week and just great with the EXT / Phönix and it also works pretty well with the Odin.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #38,284 of 39,414
I know what you'll say if I say thicker :p And I am thinking about that strongly too!

But since Phonix is balanced, and I want something that is warm neutral-ish tuning I think with a big soundstage. I do use the i4 a lot, so I'm spoilt that way!

Would the bird complement or overlap mostly?
bird and the og erlky are fantastic complements.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #38,285 of 39,414
I know what you'll say if I say thicker :p And I am thinking about that strongly too!

But since Phonix is balanced, and I want something that is warm neutral-ish tuning I think with a big soundstage. I do use the i4 a lot, so I'm spoilt that way!

Would the bird complement or overlap mostly?
Doesn't the i4 in itself have a large soundstage?

Also on a side note, is there any sort of cable/interconnect, etc that I could use high end IEMs for calls and Zoom? Lately I've been using my i4, but have to disconnect just to make a call. Any easy solutions to this?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #38,287 of 39,414
Feb 14, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #38,288 of 39,414
Feb 14, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #38,289 of 39,414
MEXT is not in the same league as EXT or EVO. I would instead use Indigo.
I’m not sure I agree. I think it’s just a different kind of presentation. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore the EVO and EXT but I think the MEXT has its own place and I do think it competes with much more pricey IEMs. I’m shocked by how good they are, to be honest, as I wasn’t expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. They’re great all-rounders and get even better are a hefty chunk of burn-in. Like the EVO and EXT they also offer a high degree of ‘musicality’ which sets them apart from the much drier Phonix.

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #38,290 of 39,414
What source do you use?

And may I ask you to provide short comparison between Indigo on PWA FT vs Indigo on stock cable?
Sources: Sp2000T and Se180
Indigo with FT, soundstage gets larger, but Traillii with stock cable still gets very little larger than Indigo with FT.
Bass quantity of Indigo is more than Traillii, more powerful hit, bass of Traillii has more depth and more natural than Indigo. Indigo is more compact that creates excellent imaging, Traillii also has great imaging, but Indigo will be winner in this field. Vocal of Traillii has more detail retrieval, a step forward than Indigo, Indigo has a warmer vocal, more musical than Traillii. Treble of Traillii has more sparkle than Indigo but still natural, Indigo's treble more organic and natural, both have great treble extension.
Overall, Indigo with FT is a great pair.
However, Traillii with FT is more attractive pair. Traillii with FT gets astonishing large soundstage, more micro detail(good enough with stock cable) and more extension of bass, the imaging gets very close to Indigo with FT. In conclusion, they both have close performance with FT, if I choose one to be winner, it should be Traillii because of its wonderful soundstage and super coherence. However both are great all arounder, absolutely in the top tier of iems.
For the Indigo stock cable vs FT, FT is no doubt enhanced all aspects of Indigo, main differences are much larger soundstage, more details and deeper bass, even natural than any other "stock cables", maybe FT has better ablity of reproduction and analysis. Stock cable of Indigo still good, however FT has much better in quality. FYI

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #38,291 of 39,414
Feb 15, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #38,292 of 39,414
I’m not sure I agree. I think it’s just a different kind of presentation. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore the EVO and EXT but I think the MEXT has its own place and I do think it competes with much more pricey IEMs. I’m shocked by how good they are, to be honest, as I wasn’t expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. They’re great all-rounders and get even better are a hefty chunk of burn-in. Like the EVO and EXT they also offer a high degree of ‘musicality’ which sets them apart from the much drier Phonix.
:O I want a Pheonix now

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #38,293 of 39,414
It is amazing how some small changes to a similar sound signature can make something much more enjoyable, I can’t help but hear quite a few similarities between the Jewel and Odin, but where they differ in their upper mid range presentation makes the Jewel come off as having one of the best and most spacious mid ranges I have experienced whereas Odin for me came off shouty.

It’s also entirely possible I just enjoy this type of sound more than I did when I heard the Odin, who knows. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Heh, I think I like Odin's shoutiness a bit more now, mainly because this particular sound sig doesn't overlap with anything in my current collection.

Jewel....considering getting a CIEM version because it is another sound sig that is different enough. I miss not having to fiddle with tips. Or XE6. But then I am still waiting for the demo....

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #38,294 of 39,414
+1, has to be EXT. They're non-identical twins, same parents. It's a match made in OCD heaven. Between them you have all your bases covered.

The only catch, like a few have already said, is fit. After a few hours spent switching between EXT and Z1R, my ears feel like they're in an abusive relationship with EXT... 😅🙉
As a current user, I agree. EXT is the perfect match.

btw just finished reading your Phonix review, what an excellent read. When is the EXT one coming up? Haven't been on Head-fi for a while (to avoid getting tempted by new stuff....) and I've probably missed your impressions on the EXT. Did you enjoy it?

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #38,295 of 39,414
:O I want a Pheonix now
Knowing your preferences, I think you might really enjoy the Phonix. It's an unquestionably good/great IEM, just a little dry for my tastes and also has a small (but, to me, noticeable) amount of hiss with some sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back