flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 13, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #33,856 of 39,414
Something I've been intrigued about with IE900 is where it positions sound vs anything else I've owned - the sound feels centred inside my head, like finding that sweet spot when getting the right position with stereo speakers and the natural room soundstage. I assume this natural sounding delivery is part of a well designed single DD and that important coherency. It's quite incredible though when considering it's a 7mm DD versus the mix of drivers in MEST MKII for example.
Good point, and one I made a few times in the review I just finished writing. The IE 900 has no right being able to do what it does with one tiny driver in each earpiece. Masterful engineering is the answer. Should be done with edits and artwork in the next day or so, so watch this space and the IE 900 thread...

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #33,858 of 39,414
The only other IEMs I connect with are the other two I own - the BLON 03 and the Legend X. All three are actually more alike than different tonally, but technicalities pretty much follow the price curve. I would like to try something a little more sophisticated but with a similar tonality/tuning to the BLON, something inexpensive enough to throw in a bag or on trips but still good enough to enjoy for long sessions. The IE 900 makes me curious about the IE 300 maybe taking that mantle. We shall see.

I'm tempted to just grab BLON 03, I'm on holiday at the moment and home on Sunday - a tradition of mine for a number of years has been to order some what I call 'soft landing' items online that are there when I get home, often CDs in years gone by but pulling back on both CD and vinyl purchases.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #33,859 of 39,414
I'm tempted to just grab BLON 03, I'm on holiday at the moment and home on Sunday - a tradition of mine for a number of years has been to order some what I call 'soft landing' items online that are there when I get home, often CDs in years gone by but pulling back on both CD and vinyl purchases.
Sounds like a great tradition, and the BLON is an itch well worth scratching (if only to say you've scratched it).

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #33,860 of 39,414
Good point, and one I made a few times in the review I just finished writing. The IE 900 has no right being able to do what it does with one tiny driver in each earpiece. Masterful engineering is the answer. Should be done with edits and artwork in the next day or so, so watch this space and the IE 900 thread...

Looking forward to your review!

I'm listening to Vivaldi Four Seasons Recomposed by Max Richter right now, it's just mind blowing hearing busy passages and how nothing becomes congested, quite hair raising and can almost bring a tear to the eye. I still need to dig deeper with classical.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #33,861 of 39,414

I'm listening to Vivaldi Four Seasons Recomposed by Max Richter right now, it's just mind blowing hearing busy passages and how nothing becomes congested, quite hair raising and can almost bring a tear to the eye. I still need to dig deeper with classical.
Winter 1 off that album is my go-to classical test track. I don't listen to classical music often but when I do, The Four Seasons is one of my favourites.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #33,862 of 39,414
It’s maybe a good discussion point - apart from DDs, which IEMs come close to the Traillii in terms of coherency?
Supreme Mk2 which isn’t a surprise given it’s a single magnetostatic driver. Paired with Lucifer, the most smooth and organic sound I’ve heard at expense of dynamics.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #33,863 of 39,414

I think that’s one for the Bird in the coming days. Not listened to it in a while!

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #33,864 of 39,414
If you wanna hear some crazy BA bass you have to check out the QDC V14… those things SLAM. 😳 Treble is 💩 though

Are you using the stock cable?

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #33,865 of 39,414
Are you using the stock cable?

I don’t have them anymore but I only tried it with the stock setup. 💩 is harsh to be honest, but it was basically the sole reason I got rid of them. Other than that I REALLY enjoyed those IEMs and the fit on those is better than some CIEMs I’ve had 😂

I think the problem I had was that I just found the treble to be so like… thin? It didn’t come off as bright to me or harsh but there was something in its presentation that didn’t sit right with me relative to how boomy and present the bass is.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #33,866 of 39,414
I don’t have them anymore but I only tried it with the stock setup. 💩 is harsh to be honest, but it was basically the sole reason I got rid of them. Other than that I REALLY enjoyed those IEMs and the fit on those is better than some CIEMs I’ve had 😂

I think the problem I had was that I just found the treble to be so like… thin? It didn’t come off as bright to me or harsh but there was something in its presentation that didn’t sit right with me relative to how boomy and present the bass is.

I don’t like the sound of the qdc cable because just as you mentioned, it adds an odd character to the trebles. I’m using my Stormbreaker and I’m much happier with that combo. And yes, the BA bass is … impressive.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #33,867 of 39,414
I don’t like the sound of the qdc cable because just as you mentioned, it adds an odd character to the trebles. I’m using my Stormbreaker and I’m much happier with that combo. And yes, the BA bass is … impressive.

I would have tried the Orpheus but I was too worried about the QDC connectors messing with the pins 🤭

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #33,868 of 39,414

Harsh and thin seems to be a certain feat in many Chi-fi products.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #33,869 of 39,414
And this is the flagship thread. hahahaha.

I'm still on the fence on whether I'm a cable denier or not - not really cable rolled given all my IEMs came with outstanding cables....
I’m a filthy fence sitter, too.

What I also know is that when I’ve cable swapped, I don’t hear differences that I can hear consistently…and I count myself lucky for that…no desire on my end to go down that rabbit hole.

Kudos to others who hear the differences and enjoy cable rolling!

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #33,870 of 39,414
I’m a filthy fence sitter, too.

What I also know is that when I’ve cable swapped, I don’t hear differences that I can hear consistently…and I count myself lucky for that…no desire on my end to go down that rabbit hole.

Kudos to others who hear the differences and enjoy cable rolling!

+1
I buy cables for their sexy looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back