flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #28,126 of 39,414
156254908_10159796007849041_4291947154574771016_o.jpg

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #28,127 of 39,414
Who am I kidding, I can’t sell my Odin Founders. Maybe Trailli end of year, or next year then.

For now, I am a bird watcher 📷

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #28,128 of 39,414
Just for the fun of it - you say Traillii is expensive - do you know what Chinese Audiophiles are willing to pay for IEM's ? see below - it is no joke - HiFiGo is a serious online shop and they sell these things ONLINE !...
Gosh - I can buy two birds for that ONE QDC item... give me a break...
This strategy to make the purchasing price of something you want seem reasonable by pointing out that there are other, very unreasonable purchases is effective, but not entirely convincing. 5-6k for an IEM is still insane, no matter how you twist it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #28,129 of 39,414
That’s the best picture of the faceplate I’ve seen. Not to be disrespectful to those that bought the Traillii, but all other photos I’ve seen makes the faceplate look liver colored.
It might sound biased but these are easily the best pics of Trailli I've seen anywhere. If I'm honest almost every photo I've seen to date has made me think 'meh'. But these I can get behind. Very excited to meet the little birds!
And I don't even know how they would improve it, unless Oriolus decides to use DD driver instead of 2BAs, but that could ruin its very compact shell design.
Ha, so you admit DD bass would be an improvement! :p
I do hope it convinces @gLer that DD isn't always needed, as I was a hardcore team-DD prior too :).
That'll take some doing. And before anyone thinks I'm going to unfairly compare it to LX bass, think again. DD bass has nothing to do with quantity, it's all about quality, (perceived) size and realism. Feeling the kick drum kick, rather than just hearing it. Feeling the resonance off the 'virtual' walls. That's what a DD gives you that nothing else in the IEM world can, in my experience. So no, I won't be pitting the bird against the LX when it comes to bass. I have my baseline 'neutral' reference DD bass IEM for that, the Fourte. Watch this space.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #28,131 of 39,414

Putting words in my mouth :p But, why don't you be a judge if Carmel lets you listen to his pair :D

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #28,133 of 39,414
I'm glad the bird doesn't have dd bass drivers.

More importantly, whether you prefer dd bass or not (i've always been partial to ba bass, but i do enjoy the w9 on the lxse,) there's no question the overall presentation oriolus worked so hard to achieve with the traillii would be dramatically different if bas were not used for the lows.

And considering what they've achieved that is a very, very good thing.

tweet tweet.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #28,134 of 39,414
And conversely the best feeling is when you have what you want and no longer have the pang for new toys. Then you can just enjoy the hobby - and music - at leisure.

Yes, but that feeling of blissful completeness after a nice purchase is fleeting because there’s always a prettier face that comes along ...

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #28,135 of 39,414
What a photo.

just had these in my ears and had no idea the internals were so pretty...

I really like the attention to detail with the wiring, I’ve seen others where the wiring looks like a rat nest.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #28,136 of 39,414
I really like the attention to detail with the wiring, I’ve seen others where the wiring looks like a rat nest.
this one's more like a bird's nest.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #28,137 of 39,414
I'm glad the bird doesn't have dd bass drivers...

there's no question the overall presentation oriolus worked so hard to achieve with the traillii would be dramatically different if bas were not used for the lows.

This.

The more I go through TOTLs, the more I realize that there’s always “XYZ” slight adjustments that I wish for to make an already excellent IEM “perfect”. For example, I used to be ultra excited for the idea of an Elysium with DD, but realized DDs might detract from the mids.

IMO it comes down to the “master-of-one (or two)” versus “jack-of-all-trades” argument. It’s near impossible to be a master-of-all and as we wish for more/changes to an IEM, it does ultimately shift our perceptions of what specifically may make that IEM unique in the first place.

The reason Elysium is so special is because the bass supports the magical and emotional mids. The reason the LX is special because of its thick, warm, bombastic sound (take away that bass like in the LXSE and I actually felt LXSE was less special-not better, not worse). The reason Odin is special is because it’s “thinner” mids allows for incredible spatial imaging and layering with strong extension across all frequencies (add thicker mids and it’ll likely feel more congested).

Add DDs to the bird and perhaps that DD rumble detracts from how beautifully balanced the signature is. Who knows.

It’s human nature to never be fully content, but Traillii is the first IEM where I genuinely don’t want any changes, for my preferences.

If I want slightly more aggressive or warm mids, I’ll just pair it with my DX300 instead of R8.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #28,138 of 39,414
That’s the best picture of the faceplate I’ve seen. Not to be disrespectful to those that bought the Traillii, but all other photos I’ve seen makes the faceplate look liver colored.
It actually is much darker. What you are seeing is what it looks like with the flash on. That is not how it actually looks. It is darker. Attached is one with the flash and one in natural light ( just an iPhone, nothing fancy ).

Attachments

• AFAB8E5C-69E4-462B-975B-AA06DC55F223.jpeg
    AFAB8E5C-69E4-462B-975B-AA06DC55F223.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 51C43149-23C4-4EF7-8AFD-2B14405DE038.jpeg
    51C43149-23C4-4EF7-8AFD-2B14405DE038.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #28,139 of 39,414
Please stop. Pleeeeeease. For my wallet, my sanity...

I can’t take it much longer. 👹

Users who are viewing this thread

Back