flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #25,411 of 39,414
We are all responsible for it as we keep buying the super expensive stuff, they know they will sale enough units to make out their cut to survive....

I think no iem and dap should cost over 1.5 to 2k and it should the tiop flagship performer at this price.

What makes this not possible?

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #25,412 of 39,414
I was interested in buying a qdc VX, but looking at MusicTeck’s sale prices I see it listed at the same price as they have been selling it, $1,899. Certainly not $500 off, $400 from its retail of $2,299.

I think they'll start at Nov 25..

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #25,413 of 39,414
We are all responsible for it as we keep buying the super expensive stuff, they know they will sale enough units to make out their cut to survive....

I think no iem and dap should cost over 1.5 to 2k and it should the tiop flagship performer at this price.

What makes this not possible?

Crazy audiophiles chasing perfection, as they see and hear it. At least that’s how it is for me. You’d think with an Odin, A8000, and Luna in hand, I’d be fully sated, but no, there’s always a new pretty face that attracts my attention, the qdc VX being the latest one.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #25,414 of 39,414
Crazy audiophiles chasing perfection, as they see and hear it. At least that’s how it is for me. You’d think with an Odin, A8000, and Luna in hand, I’d be fully sated, but no, there’s always a new pretty face that attracts my attention, the qdc VX being the latest one.
Yea it is never ending :p

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #25,415 of 39,414
Yea it is never ending :p

Well, there is one way for it to end if one finds what they think is their end game and that’s to give up your Head-fi membership and stop reading about new gear! 🤣

Otherwise, the hunt will continue ...

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #25,416 of 39,414
Today I had such a trippy experience, those 5x5 fury are just mind blowing they took me right into the music with such dynamic sound with a soundstage and imaging to wipe you off any time lapse you might be stuck in.

Seriously they deserve your full attention, what they they can do for so little as 1000$ I feel they have all the properties of a flagship sound!

They have soundstage imaging resolution textures details micro and macro, boy you name it!

Tiger has spoken and made a new favorite iem of mine of all times!
fir audio is my top second best iem I ever heard! After my Tia Noirs 🐯🤩 and yes Tia trio is now third place 😱

They have atom X anti air pressure!
New type of tech like LiD
They just sound so sublime I
love them and they bring all the goodness of a true DD bass 😍🙃😎

Please give those a try they deserve it so much.

Ps: listening was done with Fiio pure silver and stock grey ear tips with hiby R8 dap 🙃😎

PXL_20201124_014536815.jpgPXL_20201124_014508029.jpgPXL_20201124_014650945.jpg

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #25,417 of 39,414

Yeah that was like that for me and it's still is to some extent except I don't think about it as perfection, more about different facets that different IEMs can bring and also different signatures that fit my preferences (despite the fact I know what I like better, what I like in terms of signatures has expanded over time actually...).

In the end it's more chasing the thrill of being engulfed in the music where the gear disappears... I have those sessions sometimes and it's magic!

(Edit : just when I was typing @Vitaly2017 seems to have one, talk about serendipity! Need to check out the 5x5 now... they don't exist as custom, do they?)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #25,419 of 39,414
Yeah that was like that for me and it's still is to some extent except I don't think about it as perfection, more about different facets that different IEMs can bring and also different signatures that fit my preferences (despite the fact I know what I like better, what I like in terms of signatures has expanded over time actually...).

In the end it's more chasing the thrill of being engulfed in the music where the gear disappears... I have those sessions sometimes and it's magic!

(Edit : just when I was typing @Vitaly2017 seems to have one, talk about serendipity! Need to check out the 5x5 now... they don't exist as custom, do they?)

Haha I am tha quickest tiger of tha jungle 🐯🙃🙃

Those are superb 5x5 i am not making false alarms guys they are a most try or die! i heard the m4 and m5 before and was not impressed but those whoooo they are hot bunnies! They really do so much and so well!

They have many good carachteristics that true audiophiles are really searching for!

And no those are mmcx not proprietary connectors 😺

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #25,420 of 39,414
Haha I am tha quickest tiger of tha jungle 🐯🙃🙃

Those are superb 5x5 i am not making false alarms guys they are a most try or die! i heard the m4 and m5 before and was not impressed but those whoooo they are hot bunnies! They really do so much and so well!

They have many good carachteristics that true audiophiles are really searching for!

And no those are mmcx not proprietary connectors 😺

I believe you :)

Yeah I saw that afterwards, not proprietary thanks for the clarification

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #25,421 of 39,414

I agree with your comment about different facets. Each of mine have something unique to offer ... plus, I’m totally into the design of upper-end IEMs. Like jewelry for your ears.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #25,422 of 39,414
I ordered the UM MEST due to the sale which I think is the best price on it yet (I think it came out at 1250 iirc).

I have looked hard at that IEM ever since it came out and almost ordered it over the CFA Solaris 2020 (my first top tier IEM) back in early Summer.

The hope is that I will like one significantly over the other so I can choose it and sell the other...but we all know how this can go!

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #25,423 of 39,414
I ordered the UM MEST due to the sale which I think is the best price on it yet (I think it came out at 1250 iirc).

I have looked hard at that IEM ever since it came out and almost ordered it over the CFA Solaris 2020 (my first top tier IEM) back in early Summer.

The hope is that I will like one significantly over the other so I can choose it and sell the other...but we all know how this can go!

Let us know how your comparison goes.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #25,424 of 39,414
Let us know how your comparison goes.

I will, but I'm not the best at describing sound.

If, after awhile, I find that the MEST also has significant (for me) limitations, I may just go ahead and get the Odin (and hopefully there will be more reviews and a consensus by then) or some other top top tier (lol) IEM to see how it compares.

I really wish they had an option to buy the Odin without the cable, because that could get the cost down to around 2k (and I could care less about cables besides ergonomics).

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #25,425 of 39,414
I will, but I'm not the best at describing sound.

If, after awhile, I find that the MEST also has significant (for me) limitations, I may just go ahead and get the Odin (and hopefully there will be more reviews and a consensus by then) or some other top top tier (lol) IEM to see how it compares.

I really wish they had an option to buy the Odin without the cable, because that could get the cost down to around 2k (and I could care less about cables besides ergonomics).

There are a couple Odins in the classifieds, but in the mid-upper 2K region. You could always sell the 1960 cable to get the price closer to 2K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back