flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 9, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #24,271 of 39,414
Funny, I was using the Trio in my gym the other day. (Usually I train with the Final E4000 though.)

a wise move, this was not (Yoda voice)

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #24,272 of 39,414
Just saw that @iFi audio is releasing something I think a lot of people will be interested in: Ifi Micro iDSD Signature, with 4.4mm balanced out. Price is (I believe) just under €700. Very exciting release! :grinning:
1602269510692.png
1602269619041.png

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #24,273 of 39,414
Oct 9, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #24,274 of 39,414
Oct 9, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #24,275 of 39,414
I always liked the Micro BL, but with the 4.4mm out it is really turning into a super versatile tool. Price is good too, so this is definitely going on my shortlist.

Yep me too regretted to have parted with it...

Beware "Only a limited number will be made, so those wishing to get hold of the Signature edition of iFi’s landmark transportable DAC/headphone amp should act fast to avoid disappointment." and the price is almost the same as micro BL : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-micro-idsd-signature.944282/

Still will go for Cayin C9, switchable class A/AB like E01 + and Nutubes like N8 (but balanced!!!) is bound to be something special... but no DAC for C9 just the amp so apple and oranges...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #24,276 of 39,414
Yep me too regretted to have parted with it...

Beware "Only a limited number will be made, so those wishing to get hold of the Signature edition of iFi’s landmark transportable DAC/headphone amp should act fast to avoid disappointment." and the price is almost the same as micro BL : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-micro-idsd-signature.944282/

Still will go for Cayin C9, switchable class A/AB like E01 + and Nutubes like N8 (but balanced!!!) is bound to be something special... but no DAC for C9 just the amp so apple and oranges...
Bloody hell... Yet another limited edition. Well, that’s me out. I’m getting sick of limited editions. I like to take my time to find something that works well for me and really don’t need this “act fast” bullocks. The C9 looks great, but it’s just an amp. Going to check out the Conductor 3(X)P a bit more and maybe some Violectric DAC/amps. Might be able to get a good deal on those.

Oct 9, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #24,277 of 39,414
Bloody hell... Yet another limited edition. Well, that’s me out. I’m getting sick of limited editions. I like to take my time to find something that works well for me and really don’t need this “act fast” bullocks. The C9 looks great, but it’s just an amp. Going to check out the Conductor 3(X)P a bit more and maybe some Violectric DAC/amps. Might be able to get a good deal on those.

Yeah well, upside for limited edition is they sell amazingly well should you decide not to keep it... DX220 Max took one hour to sell :laughing: but yeah I get your meaning.

I remember you mentioned getting into sedentary stuff? Burson and Vioelectric look cool !

Not even amped I picked an iBasso SR2 (had no headphone anymore, wanted something "cheap" but good) and my just out of R8 this headphone is pretty impressive... fantastic value for money. Maybe I'll try my first headphone review :p

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #24,278 of 39,414
Yeah well, upside for limited edition is they sell amazingly well should you decide not to keep it... DX220 Max took one hour to sell :laughing: but yeah I get your meaning.
True, absolutely true. Not that important for me though because I generally keep stuff around. Still have the AK70 and Ei.3 that got me started here on Head-Fi and while I could really use the funds for new review gear I still can't get myself to sell my Phantom. I guess it is mostly just disappointment with Ifi's choice to make the Signature a limited edition when so many people (myself included) have been interested in seeing just this update for the Micro BL.
I remember you mentioned getting into sedentary stuff? Burson and Vioelectric look cool !
Yes, I absolutely want to get into desktop gear and reviewing that as well to have a bit more diversity. I hope I can make a start by the end of the year, but I also have IEM/portable review plans that will be something different from my usual, so it all depends on how things work out. At least I have a start with a proper home office away from Barnie's sharp teeth. :sweat_smile:

I really like the Burson and from what I have read those are great with IEMs as well, so very versatile. The Violectric might be a bit too expensive for me, but I am curious to hear more about them from the distributor. Ideally I would like to start with a DAC/amp that can do it all like the Burson or the RME ADI-2 or Ifi Signature [grumbles]"If it wasn't limited edition." [grumbles] :wink: something like that.
Not even amped I picked an iBasso SR2 (had no headphone anymore, wanted something "cheap" but good) and my just out of R8 this headphone is pretty impressive... fantastic value for money. Maybe I'll try my first headphone review :p
Nice! The R8 seems like a great DAP and should be perfectly capable of driving a wide range of headphones. I haven't seen much about them, so definitely try to review the SR2. :L3000:

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #24,279 of 39,414
The R8 seems like a great DAP and should be perfectly capable of driving a wide range of headphones. I haven't seen much about them, so definitely try to review the SR2. :L3000:

I love the R8 so far for anyone who likes a smooth DAP and streaming it should be an option. :)

I spent some more time with SR2 and I am mightily impressed by what @Paul - iBasso and his team have done here.

It’s phenomenal value for money, the speed and agility of the 50mm driver is impressive and the vocals are to die for really!

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #24,280 of 39,414
I love the R8 so far for anyone who likes a smooth DAP and streaming it should be an option. :)

I spent some more time with SR2 and I am mightily impressed by what @Paul - iBasso and his team have done here.

It’s phenomenal value for money, the speed and agility of the 50mm driver is impressive and the vocals are to die for really!
I will read up on the SR2 a bit more. It is around €500 right?

Oct 10, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #24,281 of 39,414
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #24,282 of 39,414
Craft Ears is a Polish brand established in 2019 and they have come up with 3 IEMs to date - CE2, CE4 & CE6 with the number indicating the number of BA drivers in the model. I have the CE6 in Gold Galaxy design. It is the current flagship in the Craft Ears' lineup. Despite being relatively new to the industry, I feel they have achieved a lot in both sonic and visual aspects. The CE6 has a super engaging sound with agile bass, forward upper midrange and extended treble. There is a spacious presentation which gives an open feeling. Very immersive listening experience. The CE6 is undoubtedly a winner in my book and it is an IEM to take note of. Bravo to Craft Ears for producing such a brilliant flagship IEM. :)

IMG_20201010_185606_660.jpg

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #24,283 of 39,414
Craft Ears is a Polish brand established in 2019 and they have come up with 3 IEMs to date - CE2, CE4 & CE6 with the number indicating the number of BA drivers in the model. I have the CE6 in Gold Galaxy design. It is the current flagship in the Craft Ears' lineup. Despite being relatively new to the industry, I feel they have achieved a lot in both sonic and visual aspects. The CE6 has a super engaging sound with agile bass, forward upper midrange and extended treble. There is a spacious presentation which gives an open feeling. Very immersive listening experience. The CE6 is undoubtedly a winner in my book and it is an IEM to take note of. Bravo to Craft Ears for producing such a brilliant flagship IEM. :)

IMG_20201010_185606_660.jpg
I completely agree with that. Craft Six have just hit the sweet spot for me, a great step up for the below 1000€ mark :thumbsup:

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #24,284 of 39,414
I completely agree with that. Craft Six have just hit the sweet spot for me, a great step up for the below 1000€ mark :thumbsup:
Yes the CE6 is really good. The upper midrange is to the tee.

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #24,285 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back