flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 26, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #22,591 of 39,414
Any experience with Roon here? Is it worth it? It may be just the software I'm looking for.
Roon is great, but you need to understand how it works to make sure it can fit in with your needs and systems. It has fantastic music discovery features, it is a great way to manage multi-room audio at your home if you have roon compatible components (the so-called endpoints), its DSP engine is really top notch for EQ (and there are individual headphone presets designed by some headphone manufacturers--audeze in particular) and it also has a lot of very interesting information to learn more about the music you already listen to. You need to have your roon core (the brain, which will likely be your computer) on at all times or at least whenever you want to connect to roon from any device (endpoint) that isn't your core. In order to listen to music through roon, you need to be on the same wifi network as your core (again if you are trying to connect from a device that isn't the core itself), so, for instance, you cannot connect to roon if your core is at home and you are at your office and want to connect from your roon-compatible DAP (not all DAPs are). For streaming, you need to use Tidal or Qobuz as Roon does not talk to Spotify, Amazon Music HD, or several other streaming services. Another thing to be aware of if you want to use Roon for multi-room audio, you can only listen simultaneously to components that are connected to Roon using the same protocol, so for instance if your amp or receiver in one room is connected to roon via airplay and the system in the other room is connected via a roon compatible integrated amplifier, you can't play the same music in both rooms at the same time. On the plus side, you do not need to have all your music located on your roon core. If you have it on a music streamer or music server that is on the same network as your core, Roon will find the music and automatically incorporate it into your library. If you are a tidal user, I find the roon user interface for tidal way better than the tidal app itself, and roon gives you music discovery features that Tidal does not have, which is awesome. Another plus is roon makes it really easy to see whether your music is playing bit perfect across your chain, and if it isn't, you can see exactly where in the chain resampling is happening.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #22,592 of 39,414
Roon is great, but you need to understand how it works to make sure it can fit in with your needs and systems. It has fantastic music discovery features, it is a great way to manage multi-room audio at your home if you have roon compatible components (the so-called endpoints), its DSP engine is really top notch for EQ (and there are individual headphone presets designed by some headphone manufacturers--audeze in particular) and it also has a lot of very interesting information to learn more about the music you already listen to. You need to have your roon core (the brain, which will likely be your computer) on at all times or at least whenever you want to connect to roon from any device (endpoint) that isn't your core. In order to listen to music through roon, you need to be on the same wifi network as your core (again if you are trying to connect from a device that isn't the core itself), so, for instance, you cannot connect to roon if your core is at home and you are at your office and want to connect from your roon-compatible DAP (not all DAPs are). For streaming, you need to use Tidal or Qobuz as Roon does not talk to Spotify, Amazon Music HD, or several other streaming services. Another thing to be aware of if you want to use Roon for multi-room audio, you can only listen simultaneously to components that are connected to Roon using the same protocol, so for instance if your amp or receiver in one room is connected to roon via airplay and the system in the other room is connected via a roon compatible integrated amplifier, you can't play the same music in both rooms at the same time. On the plus side, you do not need to have all your music located on your roon core. If you have it on a music streamer or music server that is on the same network as your core, Roon will find the music and automatically incorporate it into your library. If you are a tidal user, I find the roon user interface for tidal way better than the tidal app itself, and roon gives you music discovery features that Tidal does not have, which is awesome. Another plus is roon makes it really easy to see whether your music is playing bit perfect across your chain, and if it isn't, you can see exactly where in the chain resampling is happening.

Thank-you for taking the time to write that it was very helpful...it also shows me that, while Amazing, Roon is not what I'm looking for. Is there any music app I can get for my Mac that will sync my music library with an Android device, allowing me to make playlists on my laptop and have them appear on my DAP etc.?

May 26, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #22,593 of 39,414
Thank-you for taking the time to write that it was very helpful...it also shows me that, while Amazing, Roon is not what I'm looking for. Is there any music app I can get for my Mac that will sync my music library with an Android device, allowing me to make playlists on my laptop and have them appear on my DAP etc.?

https://www.map-pin.com/dapper/

May 26, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #22,594 of 39,414
May 26, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #22,595 of 39,414
i use something that syncs all my streaming apps. for example any artists, playlists etc...it will do it among streaming services.

May 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #22,596 of 39,414
i use something that syncs all my streaming apps. for example any artists, playlists etc...it will do it among streaming services.

Yeah Songshift or Soundiiz ?

May 27, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #22,598 of 39,414
I also use Soundiiz and would recommend depending on the use case(s).
I predominately use it to port my Spotify playlists over to Tidal.

May 28, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #22,599 of 39,414
IMG_9038.jpg

The Sultans are in the house. I will post more information in the Noble audio thread today and over the next little bit and then will get a full review out in a few weeks. After an initial listen I know I will enjoy the 100s of hours of listening, comparisons, note taking and then the writing on this one. As with all my reviews, I will then say "I am not doing that again, it takes a lot of effort." And then in about 6 months the itch will hit me again.

May 29, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #22,600 of 39,414
Funny, that’s never happened to me. In fact, this has been my least expensive hobby so far. Even when I got into aquariums I ended up designing my own with custom filtration system. :sweat_smile:

Just bought my wife a MacBook Pro too, literally a week before the new one was released. :face_palm: I need a new one too, but I am hoping to postpone it because the incoming puppy is another expense that looks to be higher than this hobby.:grin:
Make sure you get pet insurance! It's so worth it.

May 30, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #22,601 of 39,414
Make sure you get pet insurance! It's so worth it.
Definitely! Big breeds like that (Leonberger) are susceptible to things like hip dysplasia, even if the breeder is very careful about it, and our dog will always get the best of care. So we will make sure to have insurance and and emergency fund. I think we also get the first few months insurance included with the puppy and it happens to be the company we wanted to use anyway. She is six weeks into it now, this was her at five weeks:
5-weeks.jpg

May 30, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #22,603 of 39,414
Man the Sultans look nice, if only the Khan had those plates with metal shells. My dealer just let me know he got the demo, but 4K CAD is gonna be out of my range.

May 31, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #22,604 of 39,414
Hey folks, just posted up my review of the Solaris 2020 on Everyday Listening including comparisons to CFA's trio of flagships - the Andro 2020, Ara and OG Solaris in addition to some competitors from other brands. I went back to include a few more photos of the Solaris 2020 (below) alongside Campfire's other shells just so readers can better gauge its size.

DSC08563.jpg
DSC08565.jpg

I think there’s a negative stigma about refreshes, especially one released so soon after such a significant product launch. However, the Solaris 2020 feels like a new earphone to me, removing all significant barriers holding critics/buyers back from the original. The ergonomics are a world apart from its predecessor and the sound is more natural to my ears, especially through the midrange.

I hope this review helps some readers out! Also hope the reposts are okay since I've been seeing similar questions pop up in multiple threads so thought this article would wrap some up, happy listening!

May 31, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #22,605 of 39,414
Hey folks, just posted up my review of the Solaris 2020 on Everyday Listening including comparisons to CFA's trio of flagships - the Andro 2020, Ara and OG Solaris in addition to some competitors from other brands. I went back to include a few more photos of the Solaris 2020 (below) alongside Campfire's other shells just so readers can better gauge its size.

DSC08563.jpg
DSC08565.jpg

I think there’s a negative stigma about refreshes, especially one released so soon after such a significant product launch. However, the Solaris 2020 feels like a new earphone to me, removing all significant barriers holding critics/buyers back from the original. The ergonomics are a world apart from its predecessor and the sound is more natural to my ears, especially through the midrange.

I hope this review helps some readers out! Also hope the reposts are okay since I've been seeing similar questions pop up in multiple threads so thought this article would wrap some up, happy listening!
wonder if solaris 2020 is an upgrade over sony ier z1r

Users who are viewing this thread

Back