flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #22,382 of 39,414
Jet Li's Fearless (The Director's cut is essential) is one of my favorite movies. It is a beautiful expression of the essence and philosophy of martial arts with the life of famous Chinese martial artist Huo Yuanjia as the backdrop. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is a dialogue between Huo and the Japanese fighter Tanaka on the eve of their big fight. While they are enjoying the tea a discussion emerges around how to best grade tea and Huo makes the point that the grade of tea is less significant than the state of mind of the individual drinking it. It's an interesting point and I feel it's a relevant consideration in the eternal objective/subjective debate. Worth a watch for anyone interested:

Nice thanks, not sure how I missed that movie - I'll have to check it out. I watched "Sword of the Stranger" this weekend and that was truly bada$s. Right up there with Ninja Scroll

May 13, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #22,383 of 39,414
Guys, the Lotoo PAW S1 has landed.
2383418D-CB04-4068-AD8E-EF4C54AB9099.jpeg
CD2A0A05-B460-40CE-9FFC-E63055AB285A.jpeg

I believe this is a game-changing dongle. At least that 4.4 mm output does for me 😉

On another note, I just received my reshelled 64 Audio A12 ADEL done by FiR Audio. This was a U12 to A12 transformation and I’m so glad FiR Audio injected new life into my 4.5 years old IEM! I requested a “Rev B” tuning with tweaked crossover that resulted in better treble performance. No, I was not aware of this tuning beforehand. I simply asked about possible ways to improve my A12’s treble performance without adding a tia high driver and turning it into an A12t. A12t is probably a better overall IEM but I like my U12’s warmth and I kind of want to keep that sound signature. On the other hand, I worry about the A12 sounding darker than the U12 I’m used to so I asked about the treble and accidentally discovered this hidden A12 tuning 😃
AC49C9A2-0DBB-4C0B-BDFC-5D3121E1D862.jpeg

I love the logos on the matte black shell, wonderful work by FiR Audio!
Looks sweet dude! I'd love to hear how the sound compares to the iFi xDSD that I just got. I like it quite a bit for iPhone Tidal Masters, Qobuz, and playing DSD's off my networked PC using Neutron iOS app

May 13, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #22,384 of 39,414
Nice thanks, not sure how I missed that movie - I'll have to check it out. I watched "Sword of the Stranger" this weekend and that was truly bada$s. Right up there with Ninja Scroll

Nice! You owe it to yourself to see Fearless-- it's a stone cold classic, not just in terms of the action but also for the philosophy. I can't stress the importance of the Director's cut enough...not only does it contain like 40min of extra footage but also much superior subtitles.

May 13, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #22,385 of 39,414
Nice! You owe it to yourself to see Fearless-- it's a stone cold classic, not just in terms of the action but also for the philosophy. I can't stress the importance of the Director's cut enough...not only does it contain like 40min of extra footage but also much superior subtitles.
Thanks my friend, I'll watch it and let you know what I think. Have you seen "House of Flying Daggers"? That's a great one.

Haha think we need to start a "Great martial arts movies to watch with flagship IEM's" thread :)

May 13, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #22,386 of 39,414
Thanks my friend, I'll watch it and let you know what I think. Have you seen "House of Flying Daggers"? That's a great one.

Haha think we need to start a "Great martial arts movies to watch with flagship IEM's" thread :)

Yes it's one of my favorites and one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen....and indeed we do!

May 13, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #22,387 of 39,414
Looks sweet dude! I'd love to hear how the sound compares to the iFi xDSD that I just got. I like it quite a bit for iPhone Tidal Masters, Qobuz, and playing DSD's off my networked PC using Neutron iOS app

I don't think these devices are in the same category: the xDSD should work better for your use cases :smile_phones:. For now the S1 doesn't have MQA support but that may arrive via a firmware update in a few weeks/months.

I also saw some people have issues playing back DSD files using their Android phones with the S1 but I don't do that with my phone so I'm not sure about that part.

May 14, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #22,388 of 39,414
Honestly, it sounds strange to be excited about a dongle, but I look forward to hearing it and I do not have any 4.4mm, except cables that can swap plugs, ie. Luna. Question for you, how is the sound coming from the unbalanced 3.5mm?

It's partly because I traded my LPGT for a Sony WM1Z and - whilst I think that probably a heavily modded WM1Z is going to pull ahead overall in the end - I've been really missing the Lotoo sound. So this is a chance to get a little taste of it back, haha.

Also, it's just a bit of a novelty for me because frankly I never listen to any music on my phone and hardly ever on my laptop.
Which is going to make reviewing the S1 somewhat challenging :sweat_smile:
I'm just a DAP guy through and through, not to mention dapper too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 14, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #22,389 of 39,414
Just when @Rockwell75 thought he was done, Ken Ball throws a curve ball:

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 3.16.26 PM.png

May 14, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #22,390 of 39,414
Just when @Rockwell75 thought he was done, Ken Ball throws a curve ball:

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 3.16.26 PM.png

lol yeah I didn't see this coming. I'm quite happy with the fit and sound of my SE, though it appears I overpaid for it by about $400 US. Speaking objectively, if they can map the sound of the SE into a smaller, more ergonomic shell then they will have a true winner on their hands. I stand by everything I've said wrt the sound of these and am confident that their equal in what they set out to do is possibly nowhere to be found on the market right now. That said, speaking subjectively, as an early adopter of the SE I understand the burn some are feeling right now in that we paid top dollar for what was implied to be a top tier premium product..only to have an improved version of it appear on the market at a lower cost just a few months later. I'm currently trying to sort out for myself if this constitutes a questionable series of shady behaviors, or if the decisions made were simply that of a small company doing what they need to do to stay competitive and afloat in this economy. In the meantime I'm happy enough to have a set of earphones that leaves me craving nothing, so for the time being I think, I'm still done (until VE decides to release a balanced, spacious sounding hybrid with DD bass).

May 14, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #22,391 of 39,414
lol yeah I didn't see this coming. I'm quite happy with the fit and sound of my SE, though it appears I overpaid for it by about $400 US. Speaking objectively, if they can map the sound of the SE into a smaller, more ergonomic shell then they will have a true winner on their hands. I stand by everything I've said wrt the sound of these and am confident that their equal in what they set out to do is possibly nowhere to be found on the market right now. That said, speaking subjectively, as an early adopter of the SE I understand the burn some are feeling right now in that we paid top dollar for what was implied to be a top tier premium product..only to have an improved version of it appear on the market at a lower cost just a few months later. I'm currently trying to sort out for myself if this constitutes a questionable series of shady behaviors, or if the decisions made were simply that of a small company doing what they need to do to stay competitive and afloat in this economy. In the meantime I'm happy enough to have a set of earphones that leaves me craving nothing, so for the time being I think, I'm still done (until VE decides to release a balanced, spacious sounding hybrid with DD bass).

Totally man. It just sucks that you had to pay the extra $400. But for all we know, the new version, due to the slight changes to the internals and dimensions, actually sounds different enough from the SE, that you won't like it as much as the SE.

May 14, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #22,392 of 39,414
With a smaller fi
Totally man. It just sucks that you had to pay the extra $400. But for all we know, the new version, due to the slight changes to the internals and dimensions, actually sounds different enough from the SE, that you won't like it as much as the SE.

A smaller shell might also help it fit deeper and change the acoustics of the treble in reactance to different air volume in the canal :)

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #22,393 of 39,414

That is indeed a possibility, but fortunately I can defer to the bliss of ignorance there and enjoy the fact that the sound profile of the SE works perfectly for me and I'm not feeling the itch to try anything new right now.

A smaller shell might also help it fit deeper and change the acoustics of the treble in reactance to different air volume in the canal :)

The smaller shell will most definitely be a boon for many, but fortunately for me the fit of the old shell is perfect for me and I, uh, don't know if I'd be comfortable being penetrated any deeper. I tried Ety's once and the ear-rape was too much for me.
96680546_10163754095895654_2873148287106416640_n.jpg

May 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #22,394 of 39,414
I will compare them side by side soon enough. I do not have the SE only the OG, but I think the shell of both of those is the same size.

Maybe tomorrow

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #22,395 of 39,414
I will compare them side by side soon enough. I do not have the SE only the OG, but I think the shell of both of those is the same size.

Maybe tomorrow

It is...but the sound-sig refinements in the SE allegedly made their way into the 2020 in some way. Fortunately for me once coronapocalypse is over I should be able to head over to Headphone Bar and a/b my SE with the 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back