flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 4, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #21,526 of 39,414
Thanks for the sharing ! But all those are even more expensive than the ME8...For me I like lively treble, ok with even bit of sibilance, though i enjoy fuller resolution. That's why i adore my Moondrop A8 - but even the A8 is lacking the sparkle that the ME8 has...
You could try the Oriolus Finschi Hifi. It allows you to save plenty, at the same time get a high quality sound. It has dynamic bass, with excellent extension/subs, good power and some rumble. The treble is also quite lively and very clear.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #21,527 of 39,414
You could try the Oriolus Finschi Hifi. It allows you to save plenty, at the same time get a high quality sound. It has dynamic bass, with excellent extension/subs, good power and some rumble. The treble is also quite lively and very clear.
I see, i will check it out! Is there a difference between the hifi and non-hifi version of the Finschi?

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #21,528 of 39,414
I see, i will check it out! Is there a difference between the hifi and non-hifi version of the Finschi?
yep - but I didn't find this helpful. perhaps others can tell me what this means. or better yet, someone who's heard them can chime in

from the penon page:

Difference between Oriolus Finschi and Oriolus Finschi HiFi Version

• Oriolus Finschi:the sound is wide and comfortable, for the one who need better atmosphere
  • Oriolus Finschi HiFi Version: the sound is Exquisite and stereo, for the one who need better resolution

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #21,529 of 39,414
What are the reasons an article would be chosen to be placed on the front page of head-fi?
I have had a lot of my reviews featured on the front page, but I still don't really know if they have specific criteria. It seems to be a decision that they make based on the available reviews, impressions, articles, etc, where they select based on what they personally like, who wrote it and if it is interesting to feature for head-fi as a business.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #21,531 of 39,414
I have had a lot of my reviews featured on the front page, but I still don't really know if they have specific criteria. It seems to be a decision that they make based on the available reviews, impressions, articles, etc, where they select based on what they personally like, who wrote it and if it is interesting to feature for head-fi as a business.
I'm often confused when Chi-fi shows up. I haven't heard most of those gear, but I don't really trust the quality control of Chi-fi yet.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #21,532 of 39,414
There is the warm IEM.. And then there is the hot IEM.. Like really this sounds beyond warm :astonished: Oh Layla

11-000000255737.jpg

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #21,533 of 39,414
I'm often confused when Chi-fi shows up. I haven't heard most of those gear, but I don't really trust the quality control of Chi-fi yet.
Welcome to Head-fi. :wink: I don't think there is any meaningful quality control of the products or the reviews featured on the front page. My guess is that it has more to do with what they feel might be interesting for the community and what is in their own commercial interest. It is definitely not a 'peer reviewed' standard. :D

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #21,534 of 39,414
Auditioned the Lotoo PAW S1 dongle today. Boy this sounds like a mini PAW 6000! It comes with 4.4 mm & 3.5 mm outputs, which is quite rare for dongles like this.

Definitely an instant buy from me. Now we gotta wait until Lotoo gets back to work and start production...:slight_frown:

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #21,535 of 39,414
I think the build quality of chifi these days is mostly fine. It's the reports of treble peakiness that puts me off. Well that and all the various mods with micropore tape to make it sound better.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #21,536 of 39,414
QC issues are almost non-existent or at the same rate of non chi fi once you move past the super cheap stuff and into more mid/high end chi fi. I would recommend checking out Moondrop A/S8 or Fearless S8F/P and judge for yourself, you might find you are missing out on some nice gear.

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #21,537 of 39,414
QC issues are almost non-existent or at the same rate of non chi fi once you move past the super cheap stuff and into more mid/high end chi fi. I would recommend checking out Moondrop A/S8 or Fearless S8F/P and judge for yourself, you might find you are missing out on some nice gear.
probably true. both moondrop and fearless gear are very tempting. Though, I am confused as to whether linsoul is a "mother" company or just the retailer

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #21,540 of 39,414
Not much talk of the Dita Dream XLS lately.
Got them from @subguy812 yesterday

Opened them up and tried with the stock Oslo cable. Great.
Switched to the Satin Athena...hm...WOW
Tried the cardas 1960s cable last night. Another WOW

The XLS are definitely an improvement over the original Dream, as it adds a bit of warmth to the tone. I do miss the low end rumble of the OG though.
I'm also one of the few that doesn't have any issues with fitment on the OG and XLS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back