flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 29, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #21,482 of 39,414
^ those are 2 very interesting looking iems.

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #21,483 of 39,414
Hollidays could be great if I didn't have this pain at the right ear for 2 days now :frowning2:

I sympathize. About 3 weeks after getting my ears done, they now feel stuffed from this thrice cursed cough/cold that's been going around. Just started a round of antibiotics after being off work for four days.

Hope yours clears up soon.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #21,484 of 39,414
I sympathize. About 3 weeks after getting my ears done, they now feel stuffed from this thrice cursed cough/cold that's been going around. Just started a round of antibiotics after being off work for four days.

Hope yours clears up soon.
Thanks bro, I hope too.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #21,485 of 39,414
Hey fellas, what do y'all think is the BEST IEM for male vocals such as Frank Sinatra? I've been racking my brain trying to think of the ideal IEM for such music, and the closest thing I can think of is Vision Ears VE8, but it's a tad too coloured/warm imo to be the best out there. Any opinions?
get jhaudio Lola

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #21,487 of 39,414
Mar 1, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #21,488 of 39,414
Unfortunately looks are about the only thing interesting for them.
I don't agree, neither do @Deezel177 at the beginning of this thread.
They are not perfect for sure, and everyone is having different tastes...

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #21,489 of 39,414
I don't agree, neither do @Deezel177 at the beginning of this thread.
They are not perfect for sure, and everyone is having different tastes...

I will agree to disagree. My biggest problem is with the Homunculus. The bass sounds like it is positioned in front of the entire sound, and the tonality is weird. It was very difficult to judge the other aspects like staging when this effect was very jarring. The Thummin at least I can see some merits. Still, knowing what Jomo can do (Flamenco, Samba and even Trinity) I was quite disappointed.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #21,490 of 39,414
I will agree to disagree. My biggest problem is with the Homunculus. The bass sounds like it is positioned in front of the entire sound, and the tonality is weird. It was very difficult to judge the other aspects like staging when this effect was very jarring. The Thummin at least I can see some merits. Still, knowing what Jomo can do (Flamenco, Samba and even Trinity) I was quite disappointed.

Yeah, I've heard some oddly mixed things about the MMR line-up thus far. I've heard people describe the Gaebolg as the best of them all, while I found it the most awkward- or off-sounding by quite a margin. I found the Homunculus very bass-lite as well with a focus on clarity, so our impressions are at odds there. I did listen to it at a show, so it's very possible that that affected my experience. I did hear from a couple people that the Homunculus in particular changes a lot with burn-in, so that could be that case too. Either way, I do look forward to giving them a go again in the future to rest the case, at least for me and my opinions.

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #21,491 of 39,414
Yeah, I've heard some oddly mixed things about the MMR line-up thus far. I've heard people describe the Gaebolg as the best of them all, while I found it the most awkward- or off-sounding by quite a margin. I found the Homunculus very bass-lite as well with a focus on clarity, so our impressions are at odds there. I did listen to it at a show, so it's very possible that that affected my experience. I did hear from a couple people that the Homunculus in particular changes a lot with burn-in, so that could be that case too. Either way, I do look forward to giving them a go again in the future to rest the case, at least for me and my opinions.

Among people I know, Gaebolg was one preferred by most of them. Personally I think the Balmung would be my favourite from the line-up. It was very heavy with the low-end, and thick sounding so it's definitely further from a balanced sound than say the Gaebolg but I think it was executed better. My preference would be Balmung > Gaebolg > Thummim > Homunculus, with the Balmung and Homunculus being the most memorable to me for opposite reasons.

If the demo units become more accessible I may give them another try.

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #21,492 of 39,414
hmmm...

well, maybe there's still that. :upside_down:

i was specifically referring to the energy of the a18t's treble.

it does still blow my mind you think the a18 is more energetic than the m5...that's crazy, yo.

Haha well my perception is M5 has slower PRaT than A18t, that alone makes the A18t more energetic to me. I don’t just listen to bass pumping songs, I listen to musical, ballads, instrumental, orchestra, soundtracks etc and my ears tells me A18t is more energetic.

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #21,493 of 39,414
Among people I know, Gaebolg was one preferred by most of them. Personally I think the Balmung would be my favourite from the line-up. It was very heavy with the low-end, and thick sounding so it's definitely further from a balanced sound than say the Gaebolg but I think it was executed better. My preference would be Balmung > Gaebolg > Thummim > Homunculus, with the Balmung and Homunculus being the most memorable to me for opposite reasons.

If the demo units become more accessible I may give them another try.

Agreed, the Balmung was my clear favourite as well; loved the thick, meaty, coloured sound.

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #21,494 of 39,414
I think the problem with demoing new gear these days, especially iems, is that people are too used to older sound sigs. Since iems are still kind of young in the industry, companies are still trying to figure out how to tune them, and the responses seem to change from person to person. But if people are only trying an iem once or twice without spending much time to get used to the signatures, it kind of renders all those impressions unreliable. Is it bad because of signature? Transients being incoherent from bass to treble? Sibilance? Just conjecture.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #21,495 of 39,414
I think the problem with demoing new gear these days, especially iems, is that people are too used to older sound sigs. Since iems are still kind of young in the industry, companies are still trying to figure out how to tune them, and the responses seem to change from person to person. But if people are only trying an iem once or twice without spending much time to get used to the signatures, it kind of renders all those impressions unreliable. Is it bad because of signature? Transients being incoherent from bass to treble? Sibilance? Just conjecture.

I hear ya. Audio gears can be a very subjective affair.

I find it difficult to assess IEM based on short audition. Too many variables involved!

To me, audio is mainly a self-discovery journey - trying to see where my taste or preferred signature is. Even this can be a challenging task as it changes over time and that 'self-discovery journey' can prove to be expensive if one choose to own and listen to an IEM for a period of time before making his/her mind up.

Once I 'find' that sweet spot, things fall into place a little easier for me, all else being equal (i.e. gears used, environment and/or health), the first few tracks would pretty much tell me if it is something I would like or pique my interest enough to part with some dough to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back