flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #21,001 of 39,414
Well well well (three holes in the ground)... -Sorry, old joke. :wink:- It seems like we are barely talking about the Mason/Mentor V3+ and UM are already moving on to something completely new, a quad hybrid. It is the first time I have seen a bone conducting driver in an IEM. It is actually the first try at a serious implementation of it I have seen, as I have so far only seen it as a gimmick. Very curious and I don't really know what to think about it. Don't even know if it you would perceive anything from that driver beyond sound, but I would not be surprised if it gave a whole new dimension to getting a good fit with the universal.

Just to copy the image from the thread:
10566884.png

I've seen custom units of it in Japan on Twitter, and I wondered whether or not it was gonna be an exclusive like the Maverick and Mason were. But, yeah, it looks like it's gonna be coming out globally soon, so - as always - I can't wait to hear it when I go visit Singapore. :wink:

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #21,002 of 39,414
@Wyville I had noticed the UM MEST as well, intrigued by the bone conduction tech in there indeed quite interesting :)

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #21,004 of 39,414
@Wyville I had noticed the UM MEST as well, intrigued by the bone conduction tech in there indeed quite interesting :)

The product name on its own is a huge risk on UM’s part. I can already think of at least 10 puns someone could make if it doesn’t hit the mark. :wink:

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #21,005 of 39,414
Well well well (three holes in the ground)... -Sorry, old joke. :wink:- It seems like we are barely talking about the Mason/Mentor V3+ and UM are already moving on to something completely new, a quad hybrid. It is the first time I have seen a bone conducting driver in an IEM. It is actually the first try at a serious implementation of it I have seen, as I have so far only seen it as a gimmick. Very curious and I don't really know what to think about it. Don't even know if it you would perceive anything from that driver beyond sound, but I would not be surprised if it gave a whole new dimension to getting a good fit with the universal.

10566884.png

I just saw this too! I have to admit, I was slightly disappointed that the new Bone Conductor driver was being used to work with the mids and treble.
I was already dreaming about MOAR bone-shaking BASS as I read the headline, only to feel slightly disappointed upon reading further :p

However, got to agree, whilst lots of IEM companies are already innovating and bringing out Tri-brids of various kinds, it's quite an achievement to introduce yet another new driver technology and I'm very interested to hear what this sounds like! :)

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #21,006 of 39,414
Looks like UM MEST going to be demoed at CanJam NYC. Will check it out!!!

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #21,007 of 39,414
I'm curious as to what the 64Audio line up didn't work for you. I have heard @Rockwell75 's Solaris SE so I'm familiar with that.

I'd be curious to hear your impressions of Solaris relative to u12t if you remember enough to form an impression.

Feb 6, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #21,008 of 39,414
Decision time.
I am in a position where I can upgrade my entire listening rig, portable and desktop. I have my basic items down, fir audio m3 as iem, mrspeakers aeon 2 closed and the desktop rig settled. Now, do I go with 2.5mm connection for more variety of components like (DAP, secondhand upgrade cables) or do I go 4.4mm for better durability and possibly sound?
The DAPs in question would be the midfi offerings like the hint r5, shanling m6, ibasso dx160, and a secondhand ak sr15. All are acceptable DAPs to me

Feb 6, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #21,009 of 39,414
Decision time.
I am in a position where I can upgrade my entire listening rig, portable and desktop. I have my basic items down, fir audio m3 as iem, mrspeakers aeon 2 closed and the desktop rig settled. Now, do I go with 2.5mm connection for more variety of components like (DAP, secondhand upgrade cables) or do I go 4.4mm for better durability and possibly sound?
The DAPs in question would be the midfi offerings like the hint r5, shanling m6, ibasso dx160, and a secondhand ak sr15. All are acceptable DAPs to me

4.4mm and Shanling M6

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #21,012 of 39,414

10566884.png
or what role that bone conduction driver will play with increased distortion (unwanted resonances, intermodulation, etc).... still looks interesting.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #21,013 of 39,414
Following the recommendation of a friend I decided to give the Sony Z1R a second chance, so I bought one and boy am I glad to have listened - here are some preliminary impressions after 9ish listening hours

- As of late I’ve become a bit of a DD fan, as BAs just don’t get the texture to the level that I need it to. There are of course plenty of exceptions, like the VE8, but for the most part, that remains the case. I am happy to report the Z1R has that typical DD - you can feel it in your brains - texture

- Pronounced U shape - the bass is boosted, but I’d say the real boost is in the treble area, giving the Z1R excellent resolution. I can see why many think the treble is quite harsh, and not little either

- Insanely technical - genuinely mind blowing just how much detail these are able to retrieve, as well as the instrumental separation and imaging.

- Source requirement - when I first tried them they were really disappointing, but I was running them on an AK SR15 back then, so the DD tweeter really wasn’t singing as it is when I tried it out of powerful sources. Needs quite a lot of juice to get just about anywhere

- The midrange - I cant call it a classic thin, metallic midrange, like say the Penta. It feels very detailed and textured, but with relatively little quantity, as compared to the bass and treble at least. Not 100% sure how I feel about it but it’s certainly an interesting change of pace

- Vocals - this is no IEM for vocal lovers that’s for sure. They don’t have much weight or warmth to them. Can get the job done sure, but it feels like the focus is more on the rest of the performance. Reminds me a bit of the A18t, but taken a level further where the vocalists are on the same plane as the instruments, if not slightly behind

- New favourite thing? I mean, this and the elysium complement each other rather well, and the Z1R is very different from everything else I own. Listening time will tell what kind of place it finds in my day to day

-Why change my mind? Well, the way I see it, it’s a natural thing to change your opinion on a product as your preferences evolve and experience within the industry grows. I’d rather admit I was wrong about a product than preach something I no longer believe

Ihave changed my approach to audio somewhat, seeking out gear that sounds right as opposed to different, and with that, the collection has taken some cuts as well as additions :)

97596D43-34D4-41F6-A999-26C6E7D32C85.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #21,014 of 39,414
Following the recommendation of a friend I decided to give the Sony Z1R a second chance, so I bought one and boy am I glad to have listened - here are some preliminary impressions after 9ish listening hours

- As of late I’ve become a bit of a DD fan, as BAs just don’t get the texture to the level that I need it to. There are of course plenty of exceptions, like the VE8, but for the most part, that remains the case. I am happy to report the Z1R has that typical DD - you can feel it in your brains - texture

- Pronounced U shape - the bass is boosted, but I’d say the real boost is in the treble area, giving the Z1R excellent resolution. I can see why many think the treble is quite harsh, and not little either

- Insanely technical - genuinely mind blowing just how much detail these are able to retrieve, as well as the instrumental separation and imaging.

- Source requirement - when I first tried them they were really disappointing, but I was running them on an AK SR15 back then, so the DD tweeter really wasn’t singing as it is when I tried it out of powerful sources. Needs quite a lot of juice to get just about anywhere

- The midrange - I cant call it a classic thin, metallic midrange, like say the Penta. It feels very detailed and textured, but with relatively little quantity, as compared to the bass and treble at least. Not 100% sure how I feel about it but it’s certainly an interesting change of pace

- Vocals - this is no IEM for vocal lovers that’s for sure. They don’t have much weight or warmth to them. Can get the job done sure, but it feels like the focus is more on the rest of the performance. Reminds me a bit of the A18t, but taken a level further where the vocalists are on the same plane as the instruments, if not slightly behind

- New favourite thing? I mean, this and the elysium complement each other rather well, and the Z1R is very different from everything else I own. Listening time will tell what kind of place it finds in my day to day

-Why change my mind? Well, the way I see it, it’s a natural thing to change your opinion on a product as your preferences evolve and experience within the industry grows. I’d rather admit I was wrong about a product than preach something I no longer believe

Ihave changed my approach to audio somewhat, seeking out gear that sounds right as opposed to different, and with that, the collection has taken some cuts as well as additions :)

97596D43-34D4-41F6-A999-26C6E7D32C85.jpeg
Agreed on the DD slam and data retrieval, really enjoyed my (brief) time with them too. Just wish the fit was not so large-couldn't wear for more than 30-45 minutes. Also, not a ideal aesthetic for every day subway travel

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #21,015 of 39,414
Agreed on the DD slam and data retrieval, really enjoyed my (brief) time with them too. Just wish the fit was not so large-couldn't wear for more than 30-45 minutes. Also, not a ideal aesthetic for every day subway travel
Agreed - I feel like they aren’t very suitable for outside use in general - they don’t isolate very well and the treble can get a bit overbearing once you pump up the volume to mute your surroundings

As to the fit, they fit me well, but they’re pretty big and I look like a bit of an ass :D more of a home use IEM imo, but certainly can be used elsewhere too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back