flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #20,716 of 39,414
You are saying that when earing a new IEM, you compare it to the remindings of the old test, or the "souvenir" of the first listen of the gear you own?
If you do like that it's a complete nonsense if I might give my opinion. Direct comparaison is already difficult enough so comparaison by memories...
Yeah cause forcing yourself to find the silver lining of everything you review is so much more reasonable :D

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #20,717 of 39,414
From reading all these replies/comments, it's clear that everybody has their own point of view which makes sense to them, the usual let's "agree to disagree" :D The only thing that makes sense to me, and I hope others can agree at least on this, it's important to have transparency in reviews and impressions and to mention how you are reviewing (after hours, days, or weeks of listening), how you are comparing (physical a/b comparison or by memory), and other variables (which eartips if universal, stock or upgrade cable, which source, gain setting, etc.). I think this will be very helpful to our readers since I know they are doing their own a/b comparison of the reviews :wink:

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #20,718 of 39,414
Indeed...after the 'review' gloves came off...
giphy.gif

appologies were (possibly?) made in the background.
giphy.gif

So, maybe now we can go back to our regular/favorite program/hobby...
giphy.gif

...aka 'destroying our wallets, like there's no tomorrow' :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #20,719 of 39,414
From reading all these replies/comments, it's clear that everybody has their own point of view which makes sense to them, the usual let's "agree to disagree" :D The only thing that makes sense to me, and I hope others can agree at least on this, it's important to have transparency in reviews and impressions and to mention how you are reviewing (after hours, days, or weeks of listening), how you are comparing (physical a/b comparison or by memory), and other variables (which eartips if universal, stock or upgrade cable, which source, gain setting, etc.). I think this will be very helpful to our readers since I know they are doing their own a/b comparison of the reviews :wink:
Yeah, I agree. Didn’t want to start an argument, just wanted to express some of the thoughts I usually keep to myself.
Indeed...after the 'review' gloves came off...
giphy.gif

appologies were (possibly?) made in the background.
giphy.gif

So, maybe now we can back to our regular/favorite hobby...
giphy.gif

...aka 'destroying our wallets, like there's no tomorrow' :ksc75smile:
upload_2020-1-21_20-53-50.gif

:D

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #20,720 of 39,414
All these guys who do either lists or reviews or personal preferences or graphs or whatever all suck unless they agree with me.

I rule they suck.

Whatever I recommend rules above all else.

If someone else recommends the same, lucky for them, they only partly suck.

This made my day...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #20,721 of 39,414
Having seen enough things from a vendors perspective leads me to believe most "reviewers" are just consumers who don't want to pay full price.

That's why despite the many fancy words flying about, I don't trust any reviewer who hasn't disliked anything, whatever justification they share publicly.

But that's just me :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #20,722 of 39,414
Having seen enough things from a vendors perspective leads me to believe most "reviewers" are just consumers who don't want to pay full price.

That's why despite the many fancy words flying about, I don't trust any reviewer who hasn't disliked anything, whatever justification they share publicly.

Reviews that gloss over or completely ignore flaws are limited in their helpfulness, but so are those that dwell on the negative seemingly as a way to garner attention and notoriety. One of the reasons some of us were praising Toranku earlier is that he seems to have found that sweet spot of being able to be constructive and critical of a product without a pretense of objectivity or coming off like he's got strong unspoken biases or some kind of agenda. At the end of the day there are vast amounts of information out there people to peruse when they are in the market for something-- and ultimately it's up to the individual to find the sources of information that are the most helpful to them.

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #20,723 of 39,414
Reviews that gloss over or completely ignore flaws are limited in their helpfulness, but so are those that dwell on the negative seemingly as a way to garner attention and notoriety. One of the reasons some of us were praising Toranku earlier is that he seems to have found that sweet spot of being able to be constructive and critical of a product without a pretense of objectivity or coming off like he's got strong unspoken biases or some kind of agenda. At the end of the day there are vast amounts of information out there people to peruse when they are in the market for something-- and ultimately it's up to the individual to find the sources of information that are the most helpful to them.
I was actually referring to sites like headfonia or THL, what are you referring to? :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #20,725 of 39,414
I think a better analogy would be evaluating a house you're visiting vs one you've just moved into vs one you've lived in for a while

When visiting as a potential buyer you're quite critical and you can evaluate all of its shortcomings and whether or not they are a dealbreaker for you
When you've purchased it and moved in, it's still the same house as the one you visited, but because it is yours, you are more inclined to like it and overlook what's wrong with it
Once you've lived there long enough you've adjusted it to your preferences, done some remodelling (changed cables, DAPs whatever), and now it isn't really the same house as the one you were looking at a few months ago

Well the best comparison is "visiting" a random woman / man for the first time versus your wife/ husband. Except it's the opposite. You have brain cool-in. The more you know the person the more your brain has a cold focus on their physical flaws. So it is more the new toy syndrome that applies in this case.

Long story short : all your allegories suck (I mean a plural you), Mimouille rules.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #20,726 of 39,414
At this point, I am learning far less about audio than about life in general.

I have decided to:

- Buy a new house
- Get a divorce

Any other analogies?

:smiley:

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #20,727 of 39,414
Well the best comparison is "visiting" a random woman / man for the first time versus your wife/ husband. Except it's the opposite. You have brain cool-in. The more you know the person the more your brain has a cold focus on their physical flaws. So it is more the new toy syndrome that applies in this case.

Long story short : all your allegories suck (I mean a plural you), Mimouille rules.
Whut? The longer I've been with someone the less I notice their flaws. At the start of a relationship before any emotion has developed I'm hyper critical (and hence, single :D)

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #20,729 of 39,414

From what I've seen so far I think that's precisely on point.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #20,730 of 39,414
I was actually referring to sites like headfonia or THL, what are you referring to? :)
Definitely Headfonia, wouldn't say so about THL... Daniel and the rest of the team have (IMHO) been quite upfront and critical about loads of product flaws.

Tbh they're hard to even count, the majority of websites are practically advertising platforms

Now that just means you have more money for Audio gear :wink:
How do you think I can afford my signature :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back