flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 16, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #20,596 of 39,414
ok this thread is toxic,

i was on the edge of unsubscribing but i thought may be i get a recommendation for one last beauty since i am tempted by all these pictures you are sharing.

i have been diving in mid range chifi stuff for sometime and i want to get something nice under 1k$

my best drivers are angies and atlas and got lots of other great but lowered price ones, what comes next in my most used may be ex800 and e4000, iam thinking of something in between angie and atlas, tending more to angies signature.

i have been always more focused on the bass, i like angie more as an all arounder but listening to anything with good bass on atlas is just a bliss, for my next purchase i want to focus more on the mids while still not losing on the bass but nothing as extreme as the atlas mid bass may be lil bit more than the angies specially the subbass, i want full thick sweet buttery mids ( i know some people hate on these words but i love em emotional and buttery baby ! :smile:), i am not into overly recessed mids, can take forward to slightly recessed ones, also would appreciate wider soundstage and better layering/separation/clarity, iam not really focused on the treble but average treble would be ok for me, not flat boring or sparkling sibilant, now i know that no iem will offer everything, but what might match more to this.

I have been reading all your reviews but those grabbed my attention fusion, fibae 7 and rah, i have tried z1r for 10 min or so and enjoyed it but need more cash for it. so for angie and atlas owners while more for angie owners, any of these is a nice upgrade from angies ? also willing to check other recommendations.

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #20,597 of 39,414
ok this thread is toxic,

i was on the edge of unsubscribing but i thought may be i get a recommendation for one last beauty since i am tempted by all these pictures you are sharing.

i have been diving in mid range chifi stuff for sometime and i want to get something nice under 1k$

my best drivers are angies and atlas and got lots of other great but lowered price ones, what comes next in my most used may be ex800 and e4000, iam thinking of something in between angie and atlas, tending more to angies signature.

i have been always more focused on the bass, i like angie more as an all arounder but listening to anything with good bass on atlas is just a bliss, for my next purchase i want to focus more on the mids while still not losing on the bass but nothing as extreme as the atlas mid bass may be lil bit more than the angies specially the subbass, i want full thick sweet buttery mids ( i know some people hate on these words but i love em emotional and buttery baby ! :smile:), i am not into overly recessed mids, can take forward to slightly recessed ones, also would appreciate wider soundstage and better layering/separation/clarity, iam not really focused on the treble but average treble would be ok for me, not flat boring or sparkling sibilant, now i know that no iem will offer everything, but what might match more to this.

I have been reading all your reviews but those grabbed my attention fusion, fibae 7 and rah, i have tried z1r for 10 min or so and enjoyed it but need more cash for it. so for angie and atlas owners while more for angie owners, any of these is a nice upgrade from angies ? also willing to check other recommendations.
Fusion or Rah would be great choices for sure. They sound great and do match your search! Mids are not recessed, but not the kings on Fusion. On Rah you tune them as you like, and I love blue filter which sounds so smoothly detailed.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #20,598 of 39,414
ok this thread is toxic,

A bit weird to call a thread toxic and then ask that same thread for recommendations...

Personal favourite under 1k is Andromeda, maybe Plunge's stuff if they're good but I will hear them next week. Fusion is alright but the midrange lacks pretty heavily. Haven't heard the other two

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #20,599 of 39,414
Fusion or Rah would be great choices for sure. They sound great and do match your search! Mids are not recessed, but not the kings on Fusion. On Rah you tune them as you like, and I love blue filter which sounds so smoothly detailed.

Ye i read too many good things about the Rah, its really tempting

A bit weird to call a thread toxic and then ask that same thread for recommendations...

Personal favourite under 1k is Andromeda, maybe Plunge's stuff if they're good but I will hear them next week. Fusion is alright but the midrange lacks pretty heavily. Haven't heard the other two

Nah, iam just being sarcastic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but don't mean anything bad, it is just that people share a lot of great reviews and amazing pics which is very intriguing , my wallet is crying for help and i am losing control :cold_sweat:

but apart from that you are all nice and i totally appreciate all the effort you guys put toward this community and helping others :pray:

Andromeda, i wanted to get this a while back, but i think the complains about the bass which for some seemed lacking is what held me back and went for the atlas instead, but i will research it more.

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #20,600 of 39,414
Ye i read too many good things about the Rah, its really tempting

Nah, iam just being sarcastic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but don't mean anything bad, it is just that people share a lot of great reviews and amazing pics which is very intriguing , my wallet is crying for help and i am losing control :cold_sweat:

but apart from that you are all nice and i totally appreciate all the effort you guys put toward this community and helping others :pray:

Andromeda, i wanted to get this a while back, but i think the complains about the bass which for some seemed lacking is what held me back and went for the atlas instead, but i will research it more.
It depends on how much of a basshead you are... I personally didn't find the Andromeda's bass to be lacking, but if you're coming from proper basshead IEMs it might not be the best choice. It's stretching the budget by like 50% but the 64 Trio has a good discount currently, and you can get it at around 1500$. Guessing that second hand ones will be even lower

Other than that, I've also heard good things about the FIBAE 6, and it is exactly in your price range, with pretty good bass and midrange - I haven't heard it myself, but just basing it off reviews and such

Ultimately though, the VE8 is exactly what you're describing with its thick, buttery midrange, but that's way beyond the desired budget :D

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #20,601 of 39,414
It depends on how much of a basshead you are... I personally didn't find the Andromeda's bass to be lacking, but if you're coming from proper basshead IEMs it might not be the best choice. It's stretching the budget by like 50% but the 64 Trio has a good discount currently, and you can get it at around 1500$. Guessing that second hand ones will be even lower

Other than that, I've also heard good things about the FIBAE 6, and it is exactly in your price range, with pretty good bass and midrange - I haven't heard it myself, but just basing it off reviews and such

Ultimately though, the VE8 is exactly what you're describing with its thick, buttery midrange, but that's way beyond the desired budget :D

i only tried the 64 fourte noir along with the z1r but it was hot in the treble for me, i preferred the z1r signature more, i would check the trio if is more controlled in the treble.

Will check the Fibae 6, the VE8 reviews are killing me, ye it is way over my budget i will monitor the classifieds to check how low would it go for a used one maybe maybe :fingers_crossed:.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #20,602 of 39,414
i only tried the 64 fourte noir along with the z1r but it was hot in the treble for me, i preferred the z1r signature more, i would check the trio if is more controlled in the treble.

Will check the Fibae 6, the VE8 reviews are killing me, ye it is way over my budget i will monitor the classifieds to check how low would it go for a used one maybe maybe :fingers_crossed:.
Last time someone sold a VE8 you could get it reshelled and ready to use for 1500$ total

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #20,603 of 39,414
Hey guys,
If you happen to be by the electronic store, try any ASUS laptop with SonicMaster written near its keyboard. I recommend the K401LB, it's old but I think the newer VivoBook or ZenBook models are OK too. It's hands down the best sounding audio player I've had/tried since 2016. Only the N8 came close with its warmer tube-like unique sound. But with the ASUS laptop there's no hiss listening with the Q4, and the sound is superb. Vocals are vivid clear, well-centered, and very balanced in tone. High in resolution, and combined with a quiet silent background. I couldn't ask more for home IEM listening. You can try listening with VLC, or YouTube on Firefox. I highly recommend giving it a try.

external-content-duckduckgo-com.jpg

1rf1q.png

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #20,604 of 39,414
I was wondering, I really loved the Se846 in the past. Especially the bass texture. But they lacked air in the treble and felt claustrophobic. Has anyone managed to mod them or make them better. I read thing about DIY filters, but not sure it's as good as some say. Or has anyone found something approaching. I really wish Shure would put out the next model, like an improved 846. The KSE was completely different.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #20,605 of 39,414
Hey guys,
If you happen to be by the electronic store, try any ASUS laptop with SonicMaster written near its keyboard. I recommend the K401LB, it's old but I think the newer VivoBook or ZenBook models are OK too. It's hands down the best sounding audio player I've had/tried since 2016. Only the N8 came close with its warmer tube-like unique sound. But with the ASUS laptop there's no hiss listening with the Q4, and the sound is superb. Vocals are vivid clear, well-centered, and very balanced in tone. High in resolution, and combined with a quiet silent background. I couldn't ask more for home IEM listening. You can try listening with VLC, or YouTube on Firefox. I highly recommend giving it a try.

external-content-duckduckgo-com.jpg

1rf1q.png

I think you found something that hit your preferences. I find it hard to believe it's as good as a proper DAP, being ensconced in an RF nightmare. Then again, I still find it hard to believe how good the LGV30 sounds - and wonder why I continue to buy DAPs. So I don't entirely doubt you.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #20,607 of 39,414
I was wondering, I really loved the Se846 in the past. Especially the bass texture. But they lacked air in the treble and felt claustrophobic. Has anyone managed to mod them or make them better. I read thing about DIY filters, but not sure it's as good as some say. Or has anyone found something approaching. I really wish Shure would put out the next model, like an improved 846. The KSE was completely different.

I did the blue filter mod on mine, it helped quite a bit. But i still find it a bit veiled.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #20,609 of 39,414
For the Itsfit Fusion owners here, if you are looking for a bit more mid range presence I recommend the "Vocal" tips from Dunu that they provide with their lower end models (got mine from the Titan 6). Medium sized bore so keeps a nice deep bass, but pushes the vocals a little more forward into balance with the other frequencies. Think they are one of the most tip-sensitive IEMs I have in my current collection, and they are absolutely singing with the Dunu tips.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #20,610 of 39,414
i think I'll probably ask him to tune mine to him after you hear them, i have a feeling that you're taste is almost similar to mine.
I’ll be sure to report back with my impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back