flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 17, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #17,641 of 39,414
zero complaints for SONY here , WM1A is a DAP that sounds wonderful , has a 25-hour battery , provides USB-DAC option and you can find a used one for 700$

that's a home run imo.

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #17,642 of 39,414
Talking about Sony, any news on what their plans are for this year? Should be special considering it is the 40th anniversary of the Walkman.

Oh my, I just realised I am the same age as the Sony Walkman. I need that anniversary edition! :D

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #17,643 of 39,414
Talking about Sony, any news on what their plans are for this year? Should be special considering it is the 40th anniversary of the Walkman.

Oh my, I just realised I am the same age as the Sony Walkman. I need that anniversary edition! :D

Normal sony announcements are around the september time with march/april being the europe release time generally.

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #17,644 of 39,414

You should just pull the trigger on the 1Z buddy! It’s long overdue :grin:

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #17,645 of 39,414
Rumours point to new Sony ZX and A series for the 40th anniversary. It seems like both will have Wifi, maybe this means Sony DAPs will support streaming?

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #17,646 of 39,414
You should just pull the trigger on the 1Z buddy! It’s long overdue :grin:
I would very much like that, but I am on head-fi rations for the moment. Hoping that I can do more than just browse later this year, or early next year.
Rumours point to new Sony ZX and A series for the 40th anniversary. It seems like both will have Wifi, maybe this means Sony DAPs will support streaming?
Would make sense, as that is a fast growing market.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #17,647 of 39,414
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #17,648 of 39,414

The last time I talked to my contact at Sony, he said his walkman development team always working on something new, but it's up to their marketing team to decide when and if it going to be released. They are certainly way overdue (even A&K has SP2000 now), but he told me as far as he knows, nothing new (flagship, that is) this year because WM1Z sales are still strong and they don't want to undercut it with a new flagship announcement.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #17,649 of 39,414
It seems like both will have Wifi, maybe this means Sony DAPs will support streaming?

If Sony starts opening up and support streaming services like Spotify / Tidal, that would be something and certainly push competition up a notch.

So far Sony has been keeping it closed (running on their own OS etc.) and I am doubtful it will change anytime soon.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #17,650 of 39,414
I came across an article last month pointing to a Sony Music Player with WiFi, submitted for authorization at EU’s FCC Counterpart. IIRC correctly, the model name was NW-A100.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #17,651 of 39,414
If Sony starts opening up and support streaming services like Spotify / Tidal, that would be something and certainly push competition up a notch.

So far Sony has been keeping it closed (running on their own OS etc.) and I am doubtful it will change anytime soon.

I really can't think of a reason to include wifi if there won't be any streaming support. If Sony included Wifi just to make firmware updates easier, I would be kind of disappointed.

The last time I talked to my contact at Sony, he said his walkman development team always working on something new, but it's up to their marketing team to decide when and if it going to be released. They are certainly way overdue (even A&K has SP2000 now), but he told me as far as he knows, nothing new (flagship, that is) this year because WM1Z sales are still strong and they don't want to undercut it with a new flagship announcement.

I guess we could expect whatever new ZX features to make its way to the updated WM1 series in the future. Really want Sony to match the power outputs of Fiio M11/LPGT/Cayin N series and maintain that 1A/1Z sound signature and battery life, this would really be something special.

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #17,652 of 39,414
I really can't think of a reason to include wifi if there won't be any streaming support. If Sony included Wifi just to make firmware updates easier, I would be kind of disappointed.
Astell & Kern also offer streaming services without switching to Android (unless I have missed something). Even Shanling has been running their own OS while working to offer streaming services like Tidal. With a company as big as Sony I do not see many hurdles for them to go in a similar direction.

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #17,653 of 39,414
For me this is the one that got away. Always wanted to hear the Maestro V2 and it topped my wish list before the Phantom, but I was never able to find a demo and did not dare blind-buy it. Have had a soft spot for UM ever since and no idea why because I never heard any of their models (had to pull out of the V3 tour). *sigh* One day... One day... :D

Was actually thinking about them last week, wondering what UM are up to these days. I have not seen much about the Maven and Mirage since those were announced.

Darn it! Someone is getting all the good stuff over these days... :D Time for a coffee and a good read! :nerd:

Well, I was able to reshell a Miracle v1 long after the v2 came out, so it should be possible. I’d recommend you ask UM or Andrew at MusicTeck to confirm. I reviewed the Mason v3 on THL and found it super spacious, but not-too-extraordinary for the price. The Mentor v3 was fun and impactful, but again a bit too niche and coloured for the price. I did not like the 3DD-Ti at all. I’ve heard lots of positive feedback about the Maven and Mirage; some calling it UM’s best since the old days. So, I’m definitely keen on giving ‘em a try.

Just wanted to chime in real quick without derailing to the convo too much. Always glad to see some love for UM around here! Apologies that there hasn't been too much more info about our newer units. They got caught up a bit with some of the people trying them out so it was just delay after delay... ... I am looking to get more units out and about though!

For now, the most comprehensive impressions of them probably come from Project86 (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...ZbSFo-7cL6Xk7vTUuX2onQFJfhjQEq1Nb2NbUwJOgyIXI)

Anyways, feel free to PM me at any time! I don't post around as much as I used to, but I'm around HF just as much as I used to be =)

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #17,654 of 39,414
Just wanted to chime in real quick without derailing to the convo too much. Always glad to see some love for UM around here! Apologies that there hasn't been too much more info about our newer units. They got caught up a bit with some of the people trying them out so it was just delay after delay... ... I am looking to get more units out and about though!

For now, the most comprehensive impressions of them probably come from Project86 (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...ZbSFo-7cL6Xk7vTUuX2onQFJfhjQEq1Nb2NbUwJOgyIXI)

Anyways, feel free to PM me at any time! I don't post around as much as I used to, but I'm around HF just as much as I used to be =)
Nice to see you pop in here again and thanks for sharing the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back