flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 2, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #13,561 of 39,411
E4UA does offer 2-pin-to-4-pin adapters, but there have been concerns about long-term durability. I'd definitely be open to trying them out, though.

It's worth the risk if one has an investment in 2-pin cables. The durability issues may have been the first prototypes.

Oh, BTW, I noticed the PEARS site has demo units available stated at the bottom of the home page. Can you check if they can swing a SH-3 demo unit your way if your plate clears up this new year.... No rush.

https://www.p-ear-s.ch/

SH-3
https://www.p-ear-s.ch/shop/sh-3/

Cheers M8

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #13,562 of 39,411
@AC-12
Thanks for the heads up, sadly as a Canadian on the wrong side of a trade war, high currency exchange rates and noticed by the CRA, I'll be looking to buy from dealers here since I wont have to sell my kidneys.

@ezekiel77 @Deezel177 thanks again for the feedback, it either of you don't mind what did you feel was different of the FMJ Layla? My dealer only has the Layla II, I might skip it if theres too much of a difference.

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #13,563 of 39,411
@AC-12
Thanks for the heads up, sadly as a Canadian on the wrong side of a trade war, high currency exchange rates and noticed by the CRA, I'll be looking to buy from dealers here since I wont have to sell my kidneys.

@ezekiel77 @Deezel177 thanks again for the feedback, it either of you don't mind what did you feel was different of the FMJ Layla? My dealer only has the Layla II, I might skip it if theres too much of a difference.

Too much time has passed between my audition of the FMJ Layla and the acrylic A&K Layla that @ezekiel77 showed. From my faintest of memories, I'd say look out for a slightly drier treble relative to the lower-mids and bass. If you ever find the treble brittle or (pardon the pun) metallic in any way, those issues shouldn't exist on the custom.

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #13,564 of 39,411
As I mentioned some time ago, I'll be bringing new kinds of content to my corner of the street at THL. You've all seen An Inner View, but I'm now proud to unveil my very first headphone review: A 5000-word essay on MrSpeakers' outstanding ETHER 2 - one of the most uncoloured, unadulterated yet musical headphones reference-grade has ever seen. This one was an absolute blast to write and I hope y'all find it worthwhile to read as well. Without further adieu, here's the ETHER 2!

ETHER2-6-S.jpg

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #13,566 of 39,411
As I mentioned some time ago, I'll be bringing new kinds of content to my corner of the street at THL. You've all seen An Inner View, but I'm now proud to unveil my very first headphone review: A 5000-word essay on MrSpeakers' outstanding ETHER 2 - one of the most uncoloured, unadulterated yet musical headphones reference-grade has ever seen. This one was an absolute blast to write and I hope y'all find it worthwhile to read as well. Without further adieu, here's the ETHER 2!

Nice review. I got one as a surprise Christmas gift because I was going away from full sized headphones due to weight putting strain on my busted neck, but my girlfriend looked up these as they are super light and comfortable enough for me. I'm still breaking them in with my new amp dac and hope they have great synergy together. With my recent purchase of the A12t, I think I'm done spending money for awhile. Well I am kinda looking for a universal hybrid and the market is just heating up for those.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #13,568 of 39,411

Really enjoyed reading that, well written as usual. Glad to see you're reviewing headphones now, look forward to seeing more. :)

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #13,569 of 39,411
Happy new year to all the regulars in the thread:)

Kinda curious. Been missing my old Westone 3. Was just wondering what it's direct replacement or upgrade would be nowadays?

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #13,571 of 39,411

5000 words, for this? Seems a wasted effort, tbh.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #13,572 of 39,411

How are your pictures always so pretty?

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #13,575 of 39,411
Thanks so much as always for your support on the new review, guys - always means a lot! :D

How are your pictures always so pretty?

Hours, and hours, and hours of Photoshop. :p

Have tried these multiple times in several regions, still don't see them as very interesting at all. To go to all that effort, the subject could have been better, I think.

Well, to each their own. The review reached 5,000 words mostly because of the technologies I had to describe and the Synergy section. It's something I've never included with my IEM reviews, but I felt it mattered exponentially more when it came to headphones. The Sound section isn't much longer than usual, except for the two paragraphs I added in Presentation - again, because I felt it was necessary. As a professional, the ETHER 2 is a headphone I've waited for for a long time. As soon as I heard my own recordings on them, I knew that I was in for something outstanding - again, not in terms of sheer wow factor or flash, but how it performed without those crutches. Have no fear, I'll be doing more headphone reviews in the future. Hopefully you'll find one of those worth your time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back