flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 11, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #11,746 of 39,414
Aug 11, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #11,747 of 39,414
This is the first thing come to my mind when I read the story, but I feel reluctant to comment on other brand, so I wait until someone speak my mind. :beerchug:

While we are still waiting for more update, I would like to share a quick update from HK.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudi...68292027235/10156560498312236/?type=3&theater
Effect Audio will be making an appearance in the upcoming HK High End AV Show, that is 10-12 August, so this is current.

https://www.facebook.com/crystalsou...655039227374/1890354014357462/?type=3&theater
This is coming from Effect Audio's Hong Kong distributor, it's in Chinese, but Google Translation of the chinese content happens to be quite accurate with the exception of missing out the US$ currency information:

So if no one is making any serious mistake, the new IEM from Effect Audio will be priced between US$7,500 to US$8,000. These are very interesting development in the industry, let's wait and see if the market is really "taking off".

I’m gonna have to ask Eric about it. Since they’re a cable manufacturer, it has to be a collab with one of their brands. Maybe an Erlkonig with Horus internal wiring and an 8-wire Horus cable...?

According to this facebook post the Jomo Flamenco LLE is now available for the bargain basement price of $17,800!

https://www.facebook.com/crystalsou...655039227374/1887012101358320/?type=3&theater

Don’t forget that that’s in HKD. You’re right, though. Compared to what we’ve been discussing lately, just over $2200 sounds like a bargain. :D

P_20180811_173930.jpg

P_20180811_174106.jpg

Added a dynamic hybrid to my collection. Oriolus Finschi (Fins-ky) :) Really happy with the sound, and build. Especially the sound. Amazing, the vocals, the whole signature, the bass. So impressive, moreover from Finsky, the $200 pair. I wish there are more IEMs like this. It satisfies my bass cravings, while at the same time presents such a sweet lovely midrange vocals. A change of tips from the stock to Final Audio/Spinfit makes it sound even more resolving and cleaner. I'm in love with this IEM, its cable, shell, build/design, its sound. Hope more could/will try. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

P_20180811_174547.jpg

1 DD + 1 BA.

Awesome post, man! Let’s meet up so I can give it a go. :wink:

with all this holy war on silly pricing , i am wondering if anyone here who bashes SE ever paid the ludicrous 1000$ asked for a special wizard faceplate

1000$ for a piece of wood , nothing beats this in my 'you are such suckers' book

Now, now, as much as I know you dislike Noble, that’s very unfair to say. The $1000 Prestige option is a full wood (or other material) shell requiring the use of a CnC machine, someone taking the time to hollow out the internals for the components, etc. It’s pricey as heck, but it’s also unfair to simply call it a “faceplate.” Ambient Acoustics can do the same for an extra $650 IIRC, so it’s not as big of a margin as you’re implying.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #11,748 of 39,414
I’m gonna have to ask Eric about it. Since they’re a cable manufacturer, it has to be a collab with one of their brands. Maybe an Erlkonig with Horus internal wiring and an 8-wire Horus cable...?

I actually tried the Effect Audio earphones at the show yesterday and to be honest I wasn't impressed especially after hearing the price. I was informed by the guy at the counter that it was a collab with Empire Ears...

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #11,749 of 39,414
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #11,750 of 39,414
I actually tried the Effect Audio earphones at the show yesterday and to be honest I wasn't impressed especially after hearing the price. I was informed by the guy at the counter that it was a collab with Empire Ears...
Any general impressions / specs?

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #11,752 of 39,414
Any general impressions / specs?
When compared with the Phantom, they sounded quite flat...just unexciting. Maybe I didn't get a good seal but it just wasn't the sound signature that I liked...

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #11,753 of 39,414
sigh... chinese / russian oligarch consumption... sigh

7500-8000$ USD .... that's 2nd tier floorstander pricing!

prolly to cover the cost of all the freebie horous they gift to reviewers ;p

for reference, a pair of vandersteen ct treo costs the same @ 7950

Well, we have to, after all, consider the total system cost, and the biggest pieces of expenditure which a lot of us cannot afford is ............. space. I come from Hong Kong and I simply can't afford the space to house any 2nd tier floorstander,

But yes, the price tag we saw in past few days are ...... refreshing, and that include the new DAP from the company I am serving: we simply couldn't imagine this is possible when we enter the DAP market four years ago.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #11,754 of 39,414
with all this holy war on silly pricing , i am wondering if anyone here who bashes SE ever paid the ludicrous 1000$ asked for a special wizard faceplate

1000$ for a piece of wood , nothing beats this in my 'you are such suckers' book

False equivalence. As much as I don't like Noble, the "Wizard design" is wholly optional and if one decides to add a thousand to their IEMs for luxury and aesthetics, that's at least understandable.

When you artificially inflate the base price of an IEM, you're taking choice out of the equation. $6,000 is $6,000, either you pay it or you don't. I already have issues with 64 Audio's pricing; the SE6 just takes it to another level of arrogance.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #11,755 of 39,414
Hopefully he gets word of the backlash and considers at least a universal demo, but if not, then this'll be another unicorn reserved for... special people. :wink:
Very "special" indeed

VID-20180727-WA0016 (1).gif

Definitely! I feel the quality is there to compete with many other TOTL despite its price. A winner for me, getting my vote for favourite IEM this year. Considering/comparing its value, and sound, with my preferences.

Nice! I've been interested in Oriolus for a while, great chance to try them out :L3000:[/user]

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #11,756 of 39,414
How is Tucker? Has everything gone well with the surgery? Buy him an extra toy from me! (Or I'll send him a few. You should have seen the mountain of toys we bought for my sister in-law's dog... :D )

Thanks buddy, he's doing well all things considered. Now if only we were as strong and stoic as he...I swear it's harder on us. Today I'm solo Tucker/toddler duty, so I'll have to go dark for another 12 hours. Will check back in tomorrow to see the madness :)

-Collin-

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #11,757 of 39,414
sigh... chinese / russian oligarch consumption... sigh

7500-8000$ USD .... that's 2nd tier floorstander pricing!

prolly to cover the cost of all the freebie horous they gift to reviewers ;p

for reference, a pair of vandersteen ct treo costs the same @ 7950

Wow, how cool to see my old speakers in a thread on here. I LOVED my Treo's. Guys, these are serious speakers and for the price are a bargain. I've had them up against speakers costing over 30k usd and the Treo's were better. I now own the Quatro's (a Treo with a powered sub built in along with other major refinements). Yes, my speakers are as good or better than most speakers that cost over 80k. Richard (Vandersteen) is a good friend. We speak very often and like Nic to the IEM world, I do have feedback at times for future models.

This is where my post starts for most on this board. When prices of IEM's is in this Treo range, I find thing are out of control. That said, ONLY YOU, the market, will prove me right or wrong. these guys WILL sell enough of them to make money. There are always folks who equate money to better. You all know this. On this thread we have folks who listen with their ears. You keep it real. Also, most of you (reviewers included) aren't even using a DAP standard of an AK380cu or 1000. I can't understand why anyone would spend money like that on an IEM without feeding it the best quietly signal that you can.

I have plenty of friends who own 2 channel systems that cost well over 1/4 of a million usd and also own an AK380/amp and JHarvey IEM's. Why? Because those are the names at their price points to 'round out' their systems. I asked this plastic surgeon I know why he had the 380cu and Layla. He just said that they are the 'best' you can purchase. I laughed and he saw my Phantom's CIEM's and my ak380cu set up and asked about the Phantom's. I was able to share my thoughts on them and he will probably purchase a pair. If I told him that he should buy an SE6 he would just do it.

The thing is, that this IEM world is different. There are plenty who can afford what they want, but many won't do it. Teh companies are so small, even compared to 2 channel audio. I feel strongly that THIS is a turning point. We will see companies change this and continue to raise prices, or we will see enough backlash, that they recoil and stay where they are at. Teh market always dictates what will happen, but I do feel that a watershed year is on the way. Right now, you can get a pair of 700 Bravado's and even wait for a sale to get them for less and use an iBasso DAP or a newer less expensive AK DAP and have a GREAT system. there are points of return that folks are looking for.

This is just my opinion, Pete

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #11,758 of 39,414
southparkgifs-26gJzQj558kmHBTP2

southparkgifs-26gJzQj558kmHBTP2

The hell am I doing here anyway guys, I can't even afford to look at these IEMs....
Oh I don't think there's a single person on this thread interested in buying any of these iems.. As you might have noticed from the last seven pages, the whole point is kinda just to collectively rant :D

giphy.gif

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #11,759 of 39,414
henceforth, this thread should be renamed, 17 Flagship iems when mortals could still afford Flagships.

As for how much can the market bear? @ctsooner22 i am more pessimistic than yourself as i live south of china, where conspicious consumption is rife due to grossly inflated markets (reference, a few months back, 1 single car parking space in a hong kong luxury apartment complex, 1 parking space, just sold for $760000 USD and people are consuming cheesecake covered completely with gold foil) the market is now a globalised one, and the market will bear whatever its thrown at it as long as it is not mass produced. In a way i am fine with not owning anything ToTL, it just find the industry becoming more cynical than it was just a mere 365 days ago.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #11,760 of 39,414
As recommended by Mim in the SE5U thread, whom was spot on (as the norm) about not every recessed cable will work well with the SE5U due to pin length. I think Nic warned of this issue of well.

I wasn't aware 3.43mm pin length was something to consider.

INB4 Pe*is length jokes. 3.43mm lol.

dis.png

I wonder if SE6 if>120ohms will pair well with Tera Player like the SE5U.

I don't think he recommends 'some' after-market cables besides the 'hi-res' cable:

h8.png

I think the points are valid though for 'some' cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back