flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 10, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #11,671 of 39,414
I dunno but maybe I'm the only one here who is immediately, absolutely entirely uninterested in the SE6 due to the price. Zero desire to try to even think of a way to purchase it. It's just criminally abusive.
I bet you're not alone, and that's why we have KOL (key opinion leader).

Spiral ear is betting on winning another TOTL CIEM shootout.

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #11,672 of 39,414
LOL, who’s behind the marketing for spiral ears? Charge an astronomical price and expect customers to buy blind.
there is none. this is why the price coherent actually. we are sponsoring his marketing course, helping him acquire social skills :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #11,673 of 39,414
I dunno but maybe I'm the only one here who is immediately, absolutely entirely uninterested in the SE6 due to the price. Zero desire to try to even think of a way to purchase it. It's just criminally abusive.
Nah, you're not alone. Usually I can see sense in premium products, even ridiculously expensive statement pieces because they bring something extra. Just this morning I was drooling over Sammy's silver housing Zombie with black rhodium plating. It's bonkers, but it's like jewellery or a fancy watch. There is craftsmanship in there with an enduring quality. With the SE6 I really struggle to see sense. They are just silicone CIEMs with nothing beyond the sound to justify the price, contrast that with the Erlkönig and the value proposition is completely different. Moreover, the silicone material is simply not the most durable, so they might not even last that long. And then there is the note by SE that you shouldn't use aftermarket cables because they will degrade the sound, while showing off a cable with cheap memory wire. At least they could have gone for a cable that has some thought into its ergonomics.

It simply doesn't come across as a premium product, so it only has the sound as its main selling point and you can't ever demo it. So they expect you to trust them (or any impressions you find) blindly, while also refusing to offer a reshell service to anyone other than the original customer, which means selling them on is impossible. So essentially they are extremely expensive, disposable IEMs you have to buy blind. To the best of my abilities, I can't see the sound ever being worth it.

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #11,674 of 39,414
Nah, you're not alone. Usually I can see sense in premium products, even ridiculously expensive statement pieces because they bring something extra. Just this morning I was drooling over Sammy's silver housing Zombie with black rhodium plating. It's bonkers, but it's like jewellery or a fancy watch. There is craftsmanship in there with an enduring quality. With the SE6 I really struggle to see sense. They are just silicone CIEMs with nothing beyond the sound to justify the price, contrast that with the Erlkönig and the value proposition is completely different. Moreover, the silicone material is simply not the most durable, so they might not even last that long. And then there is the note by SE that you shouldn't use aftermarket cables because they will degrade the sound, while showing off a cable with cheap memory wire. At least they could have gone for a cable that has some thought into its ergonomics.

It simply doesn't come across as a premium product, so it only has the sound as its main selling point and you can't ever demo it. So they expect you to trust them (or any impressions you find) blindly, while also refusing to offer a reshell service to anyone other than the original customer, which means selling them on is impossible. So essentially they are extremely expensive, disposable IEMs you have to buy blind. To the best of my abilities, I can't see the sound ever being worth it.

Spot. On.

Erlkingkong is the one that immediately comes to mind but even then you can at least argue at the 4 different tunings add value, plus there are no real fit restrictions or cable issues (didn't even know about that one!). And even then I'm not suggesting that the price is in any way justified, but still, at least they add _some_thing that can sort of, but still not really, be used as an argument.

This seems like a pretty clear cut case of ego and greed to me.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #11,675 of 39,414
So... who is taking the SE6 plunge first?
Unless @flinkenick already has them or on the way :wink:
I bet you're not alone, and that's why we have KOL (key opinion leader).

Spiral ear is betting on winning another TOTL CIEM shootout.
I think you guys are underestimating how much Gzregorz dislikes reviewers : ) He put up a notice that they will not deal with reviewers, and I can assure you those are words he lives by. I certainly don't have €5700 in cash lying round, so don't expect anything from me :D

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #11,676 of 39,414
I think you guys are underestimating how much Gzregorz dislikes reviewers : ) He put up a notice that they will not deal with reviewers, and I can assure you those are words he lives by. I certainly don't have €5700 in cash lying round, so don't expect anything from me :D

Well that seems consistent with the character... the "rough around the edge tuning genius" :p I guess that also means a discount is out of the way...

That's a bad move IMHO, as a review from you would go a long way to convince people to take the plunge... this being said, it shows the guy is pretty sure of the value proposition and so far he has delivered.

About creative funding, we could try crowdfund your getting the SE6 :wink: What would it take, like 50/60 people ?

I'll be number one on the list chipping in given how many IEM I purchased blind thanks to your amazing reviews :) (and never regretted it too!)

Who is in?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #11,677 of 39,414
About creative funding, we could try crowdfund your getting the SE6 :wink: What would it take, like 50/60 people ?

Who is in?
tenor (9).gif

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #11,678 of 39,414

Oh well, then we have another unicorn on hand. The SE5U, the SilverFi flagship cable, and now the SE6 we all heard rave reviews about it, but few have ever tried one in person.

3 times the price, I would hope it would deliver 1.5-2 times the value. But that's a pretty tall order.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #11,679 of 39,414
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #11,681 of 39,414
What if I close my eyes

You can try :wink:

Just saying, I believe we can crowdfund this not matter if it's a small contrib, it's a show of appreciation and we could reach the goal... I am an optimist :)

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #11,682 of 39,414
You can try :wink:

Just saying, I believe we can crowdfund this not matter if it's a small contrib, it's a show of appreciation and we could reach the goal... I am an optimist :)
We could but I'm not inclined to support Spiral Ears in any way at the moment. Probably not at any other moment in the future either.

If the appreciative crowdfunding were for a different purchase then that's different :L3000:

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #11,683 of 39,414
We could but I'm not inclined to support Spiral Ears in any way at the moment. Probably not at any other moment in the future either.
If the appreciative crowdfunding were for a different purchase then that's different :L3000:

I didn't mean to be pushy, I understand!

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #11,685 of 39,414
Not only do I not understand what Grzegorz is doing, I am split between ignoring him and writing to say how pissed I am. I was so disappointed in VE already with this moronic prices. Honestly guys, I make a lot of money, I can afford all of it, but what I just can't stand, is people taking me for a f#&$) moron. And what I hate even more, is some of my peers proving they they were right to do so by saying that value is all relative. I was inches from leaving the hobby, but this move by my favorite brand, just after Sony put out a DAC Amp at 7k$ could very well be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back