flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #11,597 of 39,414
Do i see the EX1000 successor somewhere there? :eyes:

Oh oh the IER Z1R looks interesting :)
Pricey too... 1800$ apparently

10152290.png

I had the chance to finally audition the EX1000 a couple of months back and was pretty impressed, and you can still find it new under 400€

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #11,598 of 39,414
Oh oh the IER Z1R looks interesting :)
Pricey too... 1800$ apparently

10152290.png

I had the chance to finally audition the EX1000 a couple of months back and was pretty impressed, and you can still find it new under 400€

I am super looking forward at IER-Z1R but with that "SUPER TWITTER" 100,000 HZ is ermmm ok?

As for price, if is really good then I wont mind. Just look at the market ---> Forte was insane and there is Vision Ears Erlkonig.... Thoughts @flinkenick ?

giphy.gif

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #11,599 of 39,414
Would it make sense to make an affordable version of this? Instead of a DAP, I mean. Would the desktop format have specific advantages over a DAP? I wouldn't mind a desktop player like this (if affordable) instead of a DAP, as a lot of my listening is done while I am working at my desk. Right now I use my AK70 until the battery is dead and then switch to my Macbook, which is less than ideal. Rather than hooking up a DAC/Amp, a full desktop player might be more convenient. But it could also be a solution in search of a problem.

You will get better power supplies etc. well, if done properly. This is why I love the Ayre Codex for the price. So many choices for a desktop solution. I do have good knowledge here loll. There are some incredible sources going this route also and yes, that’s even more important than the DAC/AMP. Promise you it is. Also the power cord can be upgraded to the new Audioquest Thunder, let’s say and it’s a whole new system. Yes it makes that big of a difference when you have high resolution gear that a desktop can give you.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #11,600 of 39,414
I am super looking forward at IER-Z1R but with that "SUPER TWITTER" 100,000 HZ is ermmm ok?

As for price, if is really good then I wont mind. Just look at the market ---> Forte was insane and there is Vision Ears Erlkonig.... Thoughts @flinkenick ?

On the tweeter or the Erlkonig? For the tweeter, I don't really understand why such an established manufacturer as Sony stoops to such claims for marketing, nor who they think they are fooling. People that have no idea how frequencies work will not be impressed by a 100 Khz claim, and people that do will not even consider it for a moment.

As for the Erlkonig, I'm not sure I have anything new to share on the matter. When Zeus was first announced, it was shocking to see a price raise of $500 over the average of $1600. Now the pricing of iems as A18 and Fourte make $2K look like a bargain, and it has become the new standard. There is resistance at first but we all adapt. That being said, iems as Arthur, Elrkonig and Soundwriter are not really targeted at us common folk. There is a large enough group that consists primarily of wealthy Chinese with disposable cash, that give them the right of existence. That is the market they are tapping into.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #11,601 of 39,414
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #11,603 of 39,414
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #11,604 of 39,414
Couldn't resist digging in straight away. Superb write up again Lau! You're a real wordsmith!
Thanks, much appreciated coming from another wordsmithy reviewer lol.

Allow me some time to catch up with the thread again. Sucks not to have work wifi.

In other news, I've heard the 64 Audio top four lineup and will be writing about them soon.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #11,605 of 39,414
Thanks, much appreciated coming from another wordsmithy reviewer lol.
Thanks! I learned from the best...
Screen-Shot-2016-09-28-at-11.22.36-AM.png

Allow me some time to catch up with the thread again. Sucks not to have work wifi.

In other news, I've heard the 64 Audio top four lineup and will be writing about them soon.
Ooh, interesting! When I visit Amsterdam, I will certainly have 64 near the top of my demo list. Really curious about those four. Probably most about the Trio.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #11,606 of 39,414
Aug 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #11,607 of 39,414
Great! Look forward to getting some impressions and hearing how you like the fit.

@ryanjsoo reviewed them a while back (link) and they seem like something quite special. Probably not my cup of tea because of the treble, but I still like seeing something different that does not immediately push the price ever higher. (Although of course Hyla is not immune to that either... Nerva X.)

Yep, @ryanjsoo and his review are what finally made me pull the trigger on these. Great review as always and thanks for all our friends at THL for vicariously spending our hard-earned money :)

10k$ desktop player from Sony anyone?

It is so Sony to make me feel like my brand new TA-ZH1ES is a now-middle-of-the-line desktop DAC/amp! Sony, I can't quit you.

Edit: a very happy National Day to our friends in Singapore!

-Collin-

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #11,608 of 39,414
10k$ desktop player from Sony anyone?
well, it looks pretty

I haven't researched it but if it doesn't have speaker outputs or something like that, I think it wouldn't be worth it. a massive player like that would be great in a large home setup imo, and if it only has headphone outputs, that would be pretty stupid

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #11,609 of 39,414
Off topic here.

I recently bought a Plussound X8 GPH and it's really brilliant, but I have a small problem. I need to send my iems for a refit, and during that time, I won't have anything I can use the cable with. I'm thinking of buying a cheap or mid tier iem to use the cable with but I heard that pairing cheap iems with expensive cables is a bad idea. What should I do?

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #11,610 of 39,414
Off topic here.

I recently bought a Plussound X8 GPH and it's really brilliant, but I have a small problem. I need to send my iems for a refit, and during that time, I won't have anything I can use the cable with. I'm thinking of buying a cheap or mid tier iem to use the cable with but I heard that pairing cheap iems with expensive cables is a bad idea. What should I do?

Why would that be a bad idea? It's still gonna perform its intended function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back