flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 28, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #7,351 of 39,414
Jan 28, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #7,352 of 39,414
What's the pros and cons of UM Maestro V2 against Zeus XR?
I love good vocals, and i know zeus delivers that, but how does Maestro fairs with Zeus? I have read reviews but have yet to fully grasp Maestro's sound signature wholly yet, would someone help me out please :>

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #7,353 of 39,414
What's the pros and cons of UM Maestro V2 against Zeus XR?
I love good vocals, and i know zeus delivers that, but how does Maestro fairs with Zeus? I have read reviews but have yet to fully grasp Maestro's sound signature wholly yet, would someone help me out please :>

If Nic's review isn't enough, I think nothing short of an audition will give you a better notion of this IEM. Sorry, you are hoping for the impossible here. Words alone can only go so far to describe sound. :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #7,354 of 39,414
Hey guys, with the current trend heading towards wireless and removal of the headphone jacks of phones, is it still wise to purchase a high end iem or cable? Just askin for opinions :D

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #7,355 of 39,414
Hey guys, with the current trend heading towards wireless and removal of the headphone jacks of phones, is it still wise to purchase a high end iem or cable? Just askin for opinions :D

If you're strictly talking about high-end IEMs and cables, then I personally think so. Wireless audio's farthest reach so far has been in the mainstream market (even from big companies like Sennheiser and Audio-Technica), with little-to-no influence at all in the audiophile space. Although artisan companies like PlusSound have begun manufacturing cables with wireless modules, I believe it's more along the lines of it's-there-if-you-need-it, rather than it's-the-next-best-thing! The two companies I mentioned previously have also just released flagships that have nothing to do with wireless audio, and I think that goes to show that - aside from convenience - wireless audio simply can't compete with wired products in terms of raw performance. I'm not saying you can't find pleasure in non-flagship items; some of my favourite products ever aren't summit-fi at all. But, based on what's currently out there on the market, wireless audio simply can't cut it in the high-end.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #7,356 of 39,414
I'm comparing the AV2 to the Prelude at the moment, and they have several key differences. The most immediate discrepancy is the upper-midrange and treble. The AV2 sounds like it has its dip in the lower-treble; around 8-10 kHz. The Prelude places its dip closer to the 5 kHz range. This means the Prelude has superior articulation, while the AV2 has the smoother and more rounded signature. The former performs better in terms of clarity (especially when it comes to female vocals and snare drums), while the latter blends the leading edge of notes with overtones to create a sense of fullness in the stage. The AV2 lifts its upper-treble for transparency - adding air and clarity to the stage - but instruments still have this lack of bite that may take time to adjust to. The Prelude also doesn't have as much of a lower-midrange lift as the AV2 does, meaning its notes aren't as full, though they are better resolved and similarly bodied. The AV2 is also much more centrally-focused - lacking the Prelude's width - and thus sounds less laid-back. The AV2 has more sub-bass than the Prelude does, but the Prelude's low-end has infinitely better tone and PRaT. Overall, both have similar forwardness and body when it comes to vocals, but the Prelude is the better performer when it comes to the elements surrounding the vocals. If your ultimate priority is vocals, the AV2 will suffice (especially for the price). But, if you can spend more for the Prelude, it'll reward you with a much wider stage, a more natural bass, and a more agreeable vocal-to-top-end tone.
May i bother you again...:ksc75smile:
I was nearly all set on the warbler when i discovered a custom art harmony 8.2 for nearly half the original price and considering them also. I read in your review of FIBAE 2 that you also own them. Could you state if they might also fit the bill? The review in the shootout implies a mild midcentric ciem if i recall correct.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #7,357 of 39,414
May i bother you again...:ksc75smile:
I was nearly all set on the warbler when i discovered a custom art harmony 8.2 for nearly half the original price and considering them also. I read in your review of FIBAE 2 that you also own them. Could you state if they might also fit the bill? The review in the shootout implies a mild midcentric ciem if i recall correct.

The Harmony 8.2 is less vocal-focused than the Prelude or the AV2. It is a smooth and thick-sounding IEM, but the H8.2 is more fun-sounding and musical than it is centrally-focused or vocally-inclined. Personally, I'd go for either the AV2 or the Prelude if vocals were my main concern, and - trust me - this isn't just because I'm too lazy to write another set of impressions. :p

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #7,358 of 39,414
The Harmony 8.2 is less vocal-focused than the Prelude or the AV2. It is a smooth and thick-sounding IEM, but the H8.2 is more fun-sounding and musical than it is centrally-focused or vocally-inclined. Personally, I'd go for either the AV2 or the Prelude if vocals were my main concern, and - trust me - this isn't just because I'm too lazy to write another set of impressions. :p
Thanks again...:thumbsup:

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #7,359 of 39,414
If you're strictly talking about high-end IEMs and cables, then I personally think so. Wireless audio's farthest reach so far has been in the mainstream market (even from big companies like Sennheiser and Audio-Technica), with little-to-no influence at all in the audiophile space. Although artisan companies like PlusSound have begun manufacturing cables with wireless modules, I believe it's more along the lines of it's-there-if-you-need-it, rather than it's-the-next-best-thing! The two companies I mentioned previously have also just released flagships that have nothing to do with wireless audio, and I think that goes to show that - aside from convenience - wireless audio simply can't compete with wired products in terms of raw performance. I'm not saying you can't find pleasure in non-flagship items; some of my favourite products ever aren't summit-fi at all. But, based on what's currently out there on the market, wireless audio simply can't cut it in the high-end.

I see......yeap i was referring to the ToTL territory. The reason being I'm afraid after spending lotsa money on a ToTL combo, after awhile it becomes somewhat obsolete and if i need to sell for funds it will be hard to get about with it.

I understand where you're coming from. Most wireless iems still have connection issues and do not sound as good as even similarly priced wired ones. Thanks a bunch :D

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #7,360 of 39,414
Finding myself surprised to like Fourte more than U18 so far. Based on impressions and my own past preferences I would have stayed away from it, as I thought it would be too bright.

I find U18's mid bass to be too prominent in comparison to the rest of the frequencies, and vocals too recessed (both modules). Fourte is decidedly brighter but has deeper and more natural sub bass, and vocals and mids are more forward. Imaging is clearer as are details and a taller, all-around more holographic soundstage. Despite it being brighter and a bit colder it is certainly not dry or boring at all.

U18 bass quality is good until you compare with the Fourte's DD again - I'm sticking with dynamics or at least hybrids for sure. Despite my limited experience with BA bass I find they sound a little like tiny micro-fart expulsion cannons :ksc75smile:

Despite both IEMs being great in their own rights, neither one will be my next purchase. And, not at all trying to debate whether their price is justified or not, IMO and compared with the only other flagship IEM I've owned, the Vega, they absolutely do not warrant the price difference based on performance. More like a different tuning with perhaps a slight, and I mean maybe like 2%, better technical performance.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #7,361 of 39,414
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #7,362 of 39,414
Finding myself surprised to like Fourte more than U18 so far. Based on impressions and my own past preferences I would have stayed away from it, as I thought it would be too bright.

I find U18's mid bass to be too prominent in comparison to the rest of the frequencies, and vocals too recessed (both modules). Fourte is decidedly brighter but has deeper and more natural sub bass, and vocals and mids are more forward. Imaging is clearer as are details and a taller, all-around more holographic soundstage. Despite it being brighter and a bit colder it is certainly not dry or boring at all.

U18 bass quality is good until you compare with the Fourte's DD again - I'm sticking with dynamics or at least hybrids for sure. Despite my limited experience with BA bass I find they sound a little like tiny micro-fart expulsion cannons :ksc75smile:

Despite both IEMs being great in their own rights, neither one will be my next purchase. And, not at all trying to debate whether their price is justified or not, IMO and compared with the only other flagship IEM I've owned, the Vega, they absolutely do not warrant the price difference based on performance. More like a different tuning with perhaps a slight, and I mean maybe like 2%, better technical performance.

The U18 midbass is where the magic is... = P

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #7,363 of 39,414
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #7,364 of 39,414
You mean the same guy who managed to sell a pure copper cable for 2k$ :D

His lineup seems interesting though.

You are right, I think for fans of PW Audio cables his new CIEMs might be too cheap, apparently missed chance :grin:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 29, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #7,365 of 39,414
Whatever you do, Flicker Ear, never put your logo in all caps.

megaflicks.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back