flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #6,511 of 39,414
There is nothing wrong with Rhapsodio...Sammy is a great guy and they have some great gear.
Well, unfortunately the company hasnt gotten much love on this thread and i was starting to wonder wjether u guys forgot about it XD. The zombie is quite a new release so i am not sure abt how it sounds

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #6,512 of 39,414
200.gif

Come here kitty... Oh, nevermind...

juJAcPr.gif

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #6,513 of 39,414
Well, unfortunately the company hasnt gotten much love on this thread and i was starting to wonder wjether u guys forgot about it XD. The zombie is quite a new release so i am not sure abt how it sounds
Sammy and Rhapsodio are great, kind of my point about the Dream, others rave about it, didn't get much love here so it is forgotten. I am very curious to hear the Zombie but my funds are real thin for new purchases.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #6,514 of 39,414
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #6,515 of 39,414
Looks like the battle of cat and dog GIFs has commenced!

Time to counter with bunnies (banana at no extra cost, you're welcome)

bunny-banana.gif

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #6,517 of 39,414
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #6,518 of 39,414
As there seen to be very few active JH threads, wondering if done of the great and the good of this particular shootout have any experience with the JH Audio JH16v2 (universal) that they laughed at the end of last year?

Just wondering how they stack up to the current £1k+ IEM market - I know they are primarily "stage" monitors, but the original JH16FP were pretty well regarded and the price for the new model doesn't seem obscene compared to their flagship models - anyone have any experience with them?
Hey '77, I've tried the original JH13 and JH16 side by side before and prefer 13 by a mile. They're designed as stage monitors and JH16 has that unique ability to get the artists pumped for the track. But for casual listening, the midbass bloat is too much and puts a haze over the rest of the spectrum. Also, to compensate for said bloat, the treble is tuned sharper. JH13 is better balanced and a very good all-rounder, and even then some say it has too much midbass (to me not really, it's awesome). AFAIK the new v2's keep the same tuning but with adjustable bass knobs, so you have more options if there's too much bass bloat. But I'd still pick 13 over 16 any day.

The JH13v2 is a great option at that price. I enjoy its clarity, extension and soundstage, and its tone is relatively realistic too. But, its Achilles heel is definitely its midrange presentation; FAR too recessed.
Hey '177, objectively yes, the JH13 mids are its weakest spot. Thin, reedy, second (third?) fiddle to the bass and treble. Also it has a smallish soundstage compared to the flagships of today. Imaging remains excellent, and the ability to get you psyched for the track. Great for rock. Then you hear some Diana Krall and want to reach for something else. It was untouchable in 2009 when it was released though.

Interesting point and absolutely the most dangerous word for your wallet in this hobby indeed :grin:
But on the other side, also a word that makes sense (to me) if you're after multiple (c)iems. What's the point of having multiple ciems when they almost have the same signature?

Over the past years I've purchased 4 ciems based on the '4 elements' principle

Solar - fire (warm, dynamic) / AR6 - air (also super wide soundstage)
H8.2 - earth (coherent, natural) / Zeus XR - water (crystal clear resolution)

Recently I've ordered the Warbler Prelude and although I wouldn't know how to fit hat one in the '4 elements story', I know it has a special signature on its own and therefor it will complement the rest of my current collection :ksc75smile:
Dude, watch Captain Planet... you need the element of HEART :p

UvuvwevweVE6XC! :) Not really an upgrade though, more like a similar option. Also Gemini, and Flamenco. Although I haven't heard them yet.
I HAVE BOTH WANNA GET POISONED???!! :ksc75smile:

Sammy's doing way more promo work in Facebook, but there is some love in the thread. A lot of us like @Kerouac, @flinkenick, @PinkyPowers and @proedros hung out in the Rhapsodio thread before switching base here bcos more nonsense is tolerated here haha.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #6,519 of 39,414
Unrelated to anything above but thought I'd bring some random musings:

The AAW900s are sooo disappointing! They're like the brilliant student who doesn't study for a test and gets a B. They've got so much ability, but are hampered by their tuning. The bass is yearning to be let off the leash and the treble is doing wonkey stuff to create unwanted brightness. When fixed via EQ they're world class, but if you're the type who takes their IEMs as-is, you'll be left wanting more. I'm a fan, but only because I bought them so am invested in making them work for me. Doesn't help at all that AAW seems to have forgot that they were going to make and send treble filters to their purchasers.

...And now back to your regularly scheduled programming of puppies and randomness! :beerchug:

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #6,521 of 39,414
Sorry I forgot Ezekiel he is a Rhapsodio fan as well...I always thought the Solar was a great Rhapsodio IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #6,522 of 39,414
Hey '77, I've tried the original JH13 and JH16 side by side before and prefer 13 by a mile. They're designed as stage monitors and JH16 has that unique ability to get the artists pumped for the track. But for casual listening, the midbass bloat is too much and puts a haze over the rest of the spectrum. Also, to compensate for said bloat, the treble is tuned sharper. JH13 is better balanced and a very good all-rounder, and even then some say it has too much midbass (to me not really, it's awesome). AFAIK the new v2's keep the same tuning but with adjustable bass knobs, so you have more options if there's too much bass bloat. But I'd still pick 13 over 16 any day.

Hey '177, objectively yes, the JH13 mids are its weakest spot. Thin, reedy, second (third?) fiddle to the bass and treble. Also it has a smallish soundstage compared to the flagships of today. Imaging remains excellent, and the ability to get you psyched for the track. Great for rock. Then you hear some Diana Krall and want to reach for something else. It was untouchable in 2009 when it was released though.

Dude, watch Captain Planet... you need the element of HEART :p

I HAVE BOTH WANNA GET POISONED???!! :ksc75smile:

Sammy's doing way more promo work in Facebook, but there is some love in the thread. A lot of us like @Kerouac, @flinkenick, @PinkyPowers and @proedros hung out in the Rhapsodio thread before switching base here bcos more nonsense is tolerated here haha.

The JH13v2 sounds miles better than the original. It no longer has that nasty upper-mid peak that causes sibilance everywhere. Soundstage is larger and more stable, resolution is increased, and it’s overall a significantly better IEM. But, of course, the only original JH13 I tried was the Jaben demo, so my impressions may be slightly off-base.

Unrelated to anything above but thought I'd bring some random musings:

The AAW900s are sooo disappointing! They're like the brilliant student who doesn't study for a test and gets a B. They've got so much ability, but are hampered by their tuning. The bass is yearning to be let off the leash and the treble is doing wonkey stuff to create unwanted brightness. When fixed via EQ they're world class, but if you're the type who takes their IEMs as-is, you'll be left wanting more. I'm a fan, but only because I bought them so am invested in making them work for me. Doesn't help at all that AAW seems to have forgot that they were going to make and send treble filters to their purchasers.

...And now back to your regularly scheduled programming of puppies and randomness! :beerchug:

I couldn’t agree more, bud. Its treble tuning singlehandedly tarnishes the whole experience. I asked AAW about the treble filters a couple weeks ago and they said they’re still working on them, which really put me off buying one from the used market.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #6,523 of 39,414
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #6,524 of 39,414
Lord Pinky, Do you like the Ares II paired with Zeus-XR more or Leonidas paired with Zeus-XR?

Will be interested in this result - I've ended up with a balanced Ares II+ on my Zeus-XR, with the Leonidas feeling better suited to my U8 for my personal preferences. If you are a detail monster, the Leo would definitely get my vote as a great pairing for the Zeus, though.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #6,525 of 39,414
Will be interested in this result - I've ended up with a balanced Ares II+ on my Zeus-XR, with the Leonidas feeling better suited to my U8 for my personal preferences. If you are a detail monster, the Leo would definitely get my vote as a great pairing for the Zeus, though.

Can you please give me an insight into how does the Leonidas affect the bass and vocal of the Zeus?

From my experience with the Andromeda, I think I prefer a warmer signature, which cable do you suggest?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back