flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 22, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,736 of 39,414
Not fretting and supremely happy, just enjoy the science of it all.

that's the spirit :L3000:

so did you receive your XR ? you have it listed as (soon) , so i am confused

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3,737 of 39,414
My two Custom Art CIEMs (one silicone-filled and the other fully silicone), as I put it in the SE5U thread, "...have this laid-back and put-together sound that's somewhere between expansive and engaging. Of course, that could simply be the Custom Art house sound, but based on reviews and impressions I've read, this seems to be the case with the SE5U." They also have the, now-infamous, "powdery" quality to their trebles, with smoothness and a swift decay :D I've also yet to hear or read about a silicone IEM that's particularly bright or lean, most of them having a warmth, naturalness, and smoothness. So, I doubt adding silicone would add clarity. According to most marketing material I've read, silicone has great damping properties that comes in handy in reducing driver vibration. However, as @piotrus-g said, IEMs, especially vented ones, tuned in an acrylic environment will sound completely different in silicone. The A18 especially, with its open tia driver, would see a massive change in sound once that chamber has silicone in it. I also don't know if silicone IEMs have a different type of bore as @dongster stated; I reckon they use the same material, it's simply the material surrounding it that's different.

from my rudimentary understanding of mechanics, rigidity is better than damping, because damping is not that simple. if you have rigidity, the only moving part is the internal diaphragm. then the tiny driver vibration momentum has to fight the mass of the whole CIEM.
Damping is not as simple as putting a vibrating structure in a pool of material that has damping properties. There is a lot of "fine tuning" to minimize and split the modal vibration peaks (Eigenfrequencies ie resonance frequencies). there are many factors such as where to put the damping element, stiffness, damping factor....

i would think the primary purpose of silicone is comfort. Especially Custom Art has both silicon and acrylic of the same model, i would think minute change in sound.
pinging the Pro @piotrus-g

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,739 of 39,414
@flinkenick
i notice that nothing scored even the high 90s, what is the theoretical perfect 100 yardstick?
real life? HD800/stax or high end speaker?

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. ...

- Vince Lombardi

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #3,740 of 39,414
from my rudimentary understanding of mechanics, rigidity is better than damping, because damping is not that simple. if you have rigidity, the only moving part is the internal diaphragm. then the tiny driver vibration momentum has to fight the mass of the whole CIEM.
Damping is not as simple as putting a vibrating structure in a pool of material that has damping properties. There is a lot of "fine tuning" to minimize and split the modal vibration peaks (Eigenfrequencies ie resonance frequencies). there are many factors such as where to put the damping element, stiffness, damping factor....

i would think the primary purpose of silicone is comfort. Especially Custom Art has both silicon and acrylic of the same model, i would think minute change in sound.
pinging the Pro @piotrus-g

I can't comment on the science part since your "rudimentary understanding of mechanics" is more advanced than my zero understanding of mechanics :D But, in both iterations, acrylic and silicone, of Custom Art's IEMs, @piotrus-g fills the shell with silicone to minimise sound differences as much as possible. A quote from him also says:

One of the reasons (though Music One and Two were vented and made in silicone without problem), they are just tuned for hollow acrylic shell, if we filled the shell they would sound completely different.

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3,741 of 39,414
My two Custom Art CIEMs (one silicone-filled and the other fully silicone), as I put it in the SE5U thread, "...have this laid-back and put-together sound that's somewhere between expansive and engaging. Of course, that could simply be the Custom Art house sound, but based on reviews and impressions I've read, this seems to be the case with the SE5U." They also have the, now-infamous, "powdery" quality to their trebles, with smoothness and a swift decay :D I've also yet to hear or read about a silicone IEM that's particularly bright or lean, most of them having a warmth, naturalness, and smoothness. So, I doubt adding silicone would add clarity. According to most marketing material I've read, silicone has great damping properties that comes in handy in reducing driver vibration. However, as @piotrus-g said, IEMs, especially vented ones, tuned in an acrylic environment will sound completely different in silicone. The A18 especially, with its open tia driver, would see a massive change in sound once that chamber has silicone in it. I also don't know if silicone IEMs have a different type of bore as @dongster stated; I reckon they use the same material, it's simply the material surrounding it that's different.

Silicone IEMs use silicone tubing instead of PVC tubing of acrylic iems. This is because nothing can really bond/glue well to silicone, except silicone. Because the shell and tube materials are the same, a silicone iem can appear as if it didnt have tubing, just bores drilled into the material.

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,743 of 39,414
I'd love to see a similar shootout of the top 10 iems around $1k, give or take.
you know the fab bang for buck values that, while not of flagship status, are more accessible
for the majority of people on headfi and kick way above their pricepoint, something that
even owners of flagships would be content with, if they had to be.

and also to ask another thing: do you think you'll see more people buying these flagships
with universals...or still with customs? or split down the middle?
at least with universals the resale would be better
wouldn't it? and there are so many stock tips to choose from nowadays, too.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #3,744 of 39,414
I'd love to see a similar shootout of the top 10 iems around $1k, give or take.
you know the fab bang for buck values that, while not of flagship status, are more accessible
for the majority of people on headfi and kick way above their pricepoint, something that
even owners of flagships would be content with, if they had to be.

and also to ask another thing: do you think you'll see more people buying these flagships
with universals...or still with customs? or split down the middle?
at least with universals the resale would be better
wouldn't it? and there are so many stock tips to choose from nowadays, too.

Some of these iems are close to 1k. Look at these.

Building a universal and a custom are completely different. The VE8 demo sound very different form the custom. I think iems which are engineered to be customs will lose if you get the universal, and will be very dependant on fit and tip.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #3,745 of 39,414
Some of these iems are close to 1k. Look at these.

Building a universal and a custom are completely different. The VE8 demo sound very different form the custom. I think iems which are engineered to be customs will lose if you get the universal, and will be very dependant on fit and tip.

look at these,,.
mimouille...was there to be a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back