flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #2,521 of 39,411
Haha, good ol' Thomas Dolby (She blinded me with science) :ksc75smile:
NTE4ODgwMjUz_o_thomas-dolby---she-blinded-me-with-science.jpg
Good heavens Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #2,522 of 39,411
those apes were clearly huge Monolith fanboys :)

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,523 of 39,411
those apes were clearly huge Monolith fanboys :)
Whaaat? It's a Monolith? :astonished:

And all this time I thought it was a giant Plenue 1
Gotta check that movie again now :wink:

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #2,524 of 39,411
That's surprising because I remember reading @twister6 review of the universal UERR where he felt the sound was very close to the custom version (if I remember correctly). Will check out the thread.

The key here, Nic was referring to a discussion in other thread or by someone else, rather than sharing his own personal experience about this particular model CIEM vs IEM :wink:

Regarding UERR, not UE18+Pro, the custom vs universal are designed identically, the shape of the shell is nearly a spit image, just a universal nozzle tip and shaved off inner parts of the shell. The only difference I heard was soundstage width because now the distance between my eardrums and the drivers was different.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #2,525 of 39,411
The key here, Nic was referring to a discussion in other thread or by someone else, rather than sharing his own personal experience about this particular model CIEM vs IEM :wink:

Regarding UERR, not UE18+Pro, the custom vs universal are designed identically, the shape of the shell is nearly a spit image, just a universal nozzle tip and shaved off inner parts of the shell. The only difference I heard was soundstage width because now the distance between my eardrums and the drivers was different.
Thanks! I just read the discussion.

Is the UE18+ Pro To Go designed differently from the UERR To Go?

(I try to keep track of the UE18+ Pro To Go because it is one of the options I would consider in case I find the funds for a TOTL. :wink:)

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #2,526 of 39,411
Whaaat? It's a Monolith? :astonished:

And all this time I thought it was a giant Plenue 1
Gotta check that movie again now :wink:
LOL, I though it was a giant external hard drive containing all knowledge. Or it could just be Aune M2.

DSC-2029,large.1454079127.png

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,527 of 39,411
Anyone visiting Japan? Would really like to try these someday, hope to get early impression :D

Hey guys, 2017 Japan Akihabara Portable Audio Festival is coming this weekend, AROMA will bring new products to it

New IEM series:
Early(1+1, Hybrid)

Twins(7BA, one switch, two different sound)

Yao(12BA)

Welcome to stop by our booth

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #2,528 of 39,411
on a serious head-fi related note , the monolith is head-fi.org and we are the apes(audiolovers)

as we interact with it, we go/evolve from the bones (10$ sony buds) into the spaceships (2000$ CIEMs)

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,529 of 39,411
Thanks! I just read the discussion.

Is the UE18+ Pro To Go designed differently from the UERR To Go?

(I try to keep track of the UE18+ Pro To Go because it is one of the options I would consider in case I find the funds for a TOTL. :wink:)

I can only speak for UERR ciem vs iem version, since i have both, and they look nearly identical, I have a write up here. I think drivers are held together in a bracket, so internally it stays the same. Not sure about UE18+Pro because I only received ToGo iem version. Actually, at first I received a prototype (it was huge), and then a new final universal iem version that was less than half in size of the prototype (very slim). Still, you will have a variation in distance between your eardrum and drivers since CIEM will go deeper and you have a natural seal, while universal sticks out further and seal will vary depending on eartip selection.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,530 of 39,411
Anyone visiting Japan? Would really like to try these someday, hope to get early impression
[/SPOILER]

I'll be trying these at Potafest this weekend. Will post updates.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #2,532 of 39,411
For the past days I have been playing around with Hum Pristine v2 and 64 U18. While Tia fourte has very natural tone if not most, its treble even though extended the most, being harsh sometimes, didn't give it much easy listen compared to U18 (suggesting that Tia fourte should be used for good remastered tracks only) so eventually I stopped touching it after a while
M20 module is my most favorite part of U18. They key word "Balance, full and organic" . The best part of it would the layering capability and the overtone that i could hear from its upper mid.

So how does Hum Pristine vs 64 U18 M20? Pristine is a chameleon, it changes the sound signature on tracks even selecting the cable for it is quite challenge, sometimes it sounds harsh or just warm smooth and wonderful while U18 signature doesn't change with different music, it just makes everything feel immersive, layered and easy to listen to.

The first thing I notice when putting them on is resolution and transparency, they are on similar level, I can hear Pristine a bit clearer and more coherence but U18 has a bit higher resolution.

Low : U18 has a warm and fuller bass which rumbles more . Also it has a bit more depth and texture but Pristine's bass is more accurate, tighter, articulates more and hits a bit harder(expected from a ref-tuned iem).
Mid : The mid on Pristine is more forward while the mid U18 is even. Both have similar quality, natural tone and being emotional with Pristine a tad brighter and harsher in the upper mid though the harshness depends on tracks due to its revealing nature. The upper mid on U18 is more extended and smoother compared to Pristine. I do like the fact that vocal extended a bit more and has the lingering feeling after each note, this could give quite emotion sometimes.
High : Both have natural tonality and smooth but Pristine is brighter and harsher with poorly remastered tracks. On the other hand, U18 has more easy treble to listen to. Smooth, not overly warm, organic, laid back and extended. It's smoother not by all mean 100% though I can hear it being edgy sometimes. U18 it brings out detail a bit more in an effortless fashion.
Staging and imaging : U18 has better 3d dimensional staging with wider stage and better depth in case giving better sense of instrument placements. The biggest difference would be its layering capability is plain better than Pristine .It's not nice and day better but it's just noticeably better in everything. Nothing to expect here from limit of 2-drivers design and 18 ba with open ba is a bit overkill. I actually did a small comparison between U18 on Wm1a's balance and HD800 on mid-fi stack Bifrost/Valhalla, found that U18 has quite similar staging but fall short on Spatial cues and openness, already quite impressive for an iem.

This might not be a fair comparison since 2 of them are in different price bracket. If U18 is 89, I would give Pristine a 87 . The performance is not a big gap in Tier 1 ranking tbh but if you look at the asking price that would be another story.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #2,533 of 39,411
I can only speak for UERR ciem vs iem version, since i have both, and they look nearly identical, I have a write up here. I think drivers are held together in a bracket, so internally it stays the same. Not sure about UE18+Pro because I only received ToGo iem version. Actually, at first I received a prototype (it was huge), and then a new final universal iem version that was less than half in size of the prototype (very slim). Still, you will have a variation in distance between your eardrum and drivers since CIEM will go deeper and you have a natural seal, while universal sticks out further and seal will vary depending on eartip selection.
Thanks! Based on my experience with my CIEM and UIEM Ei.3 I think I would not have much to worry about with the ToGo version, as I can get a good seal quite easily and the universal Ei.3 now sound pretty much exactly the same as my customs. Perhaps a fraction less bass impact and not quite the clarity, but those differences are quite logical. Now all I need is funding... :sweat_smile:

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #2,534 of 39,411
For the past days I have been playing around with Hum Pristine v2 and 64 U18. While Tia fourte has very natural tone if not most, its treble even though extended the most, being harsh sometimes, didn't give it much easy listen compared to U18 (suggesting that Tia fourte should be used for good remastered tracks only) so eventually I stopped touching it after a while
M20 module is my most favorite part of U18. They key word "Balance, full and organic" . The best part of it would the layering capability and the overtone that i could hear from its upper mid.

So how does Hum Pristine vs 64 U18 M20? Pristine is a chameleon, it changes the sound signature on tracks even selecting the cable for it is quite challenge, sometimes it sounds harsh or just warm smooth and wonderful while U18 signature doesn't change with different music, it just makes everything feel immersive, layered and easy to listen to.

The first thing I notice when putting them on is resolution and transparency, they are on similar level, I can hear Pristine a bit clearer and more coherence but U18 has a bit higher resolution.

Low : U18 has a warm and fuller bass which rumbles more . Also it has a bit more depth and texture but Pristine's bass is more accurate, tighter, articulates more and hits a bit harder(expected from a ref-tuned iem).
Mid : The mid on Pristine is more forward while the mid U18 is even. Both have similar quality, natural tone and being emotional with Pristine a tad brighter and harsher in the upper mid though the harshness depends on tracks due to its revealing nature. The upper mid on U18 is more extended and smoother compared to Pristine. I do like the fact that vocal extended a bit more and has the lingering feeling after each note, this could give quite emotion sometimes.
High : Both have natural tonality and smooth but Pristine is brighter and harsher with poorly remastered tracks. On the other hand, U18 has more easy treble to listen to. Smooth, not overly warm, organic, laid back and extended. It's smoother not by all mean %100 though I can hear it being edgy sometimes. U18 it brings out detail a bit more in an effortless fashion.
Staging and imaging : U18 has better 3d dimensional staging with wider stage and better depth in case giving better sense of instrument placements. The biggest difference would be its layering capability is plain better than Pristine .It's not nice and day better but it's just noticeably better in everything. Nothing to expect here from limit of 2-drivers design and 18 ba with open ba is a bit overkill. I actually did a small comparison between U18 on Wm1a's balance and HD800 on mid-fi stack Bifrost/Valhalla, found that U18 has quite similar staging but fall short on Spatial cues and openness, already quite impressive for an iem.

This might not be a fair comparison since 2 of them are in different price bracket. If U18 is 89, I would give Pristine a 87 . The performance is not a big gap in Tier 1 ranking tbh but if you look at the asking price that would be another story.

What source and cables are you using? Very interesting findings.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #2,535 of 39,411
What source and cables are you using? Very interesting findings.
Wm1a on balance. modified Whiplash twau on U18 and Han sound Zen on Pristine
The cable on U18 is better than Pristine btw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back