flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 29, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #1,666 of 39,414
On the backlash against Noble:
I concur with Eagle. Despite having joint the forum rather recently, I have been following the Noble thread rather regularly.
And my observations are quite similar to Eagles, where less-than-glowing reviews and negative opinions get dismissed rather indiscriminately. Time and again FullCircle would appear to quote the K10 5-star streak, and in no time, the negative voice is left behind and gets forgotten.
But hey! The 5 star streak was for the original K10. Why bring that up when talking about K10 encore and Katana? I find it ridiculous for people to keep clinging onto their past glory and not let go.
By the way, has anyone else observed that discussion of second or third tier IEMs are practically absent in the Noble thread?

The traffic in it is down in general, which should make quite a few happy. I read it, to see if anyone needs help, like I have been doing for years and rarely get anything for me to answer. Flavor of the month has changed on head-fi, its not the first time, nor will it be the last.

May 29, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,667 of 39,414
@EagleWings, by their standards, you were treated nicely. I've seen other people being treated much worse to the point where admins have to interfere. My main problem with that thread though, is that it's ran like an advertisement campaign. Like someone else said, it's like a clique. I'm sure their products are nice, but there are way too many great options out there.

May 29, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #1,668 of 39,414
@EagleWings, by their standards, you were treated nicely. I've seen other people being treated much worse to the point where admins have to interfere. My main problem with that thread though, is that it's ran like an advertisement campaign. Like someone else said, it's like a clique. I'm sure their products are nice, but there are way too many great options out there.

Isn't head-fi in general a giant advertising thread? We are a giant free sale force. Unless you are a reviewer, then you can make money.

May 29, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,669 of 39,414
I am sorry Nick...

images.png

May 30, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #1,670 of 39,414
... The Dream has quite a unique sound character, with powerful bass. Would it be worth it, IDK. Depends on your taste. For me it is more of a specialty IEM, rather than a good all-rounder.

I got the Dream only a couple of weeks ago, thus still discovering its intricacies, so I am wondering: what have you found the Dream to be good at/for, and less good at?

May 30, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #1,671 of 39,414
@ Wata: We've spent the last several pages basically dealing with your hurt feelings, and I don't know if you're trying to troll, but just stop.
Can we agree to move on and not discuss anything Noble-related besides their actual products for maybe 7 days?
@ranfan: the Dream sounds interesting, what genres does it specialize in?

May 30, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,674 of 39,414
You made me laugh and it blew my seal!
... that's what she said
Sorry, sorry, tried to bite my tongue :p
Nic's elegant pig fart joke was one the first thing I saw logging in to HF yesterday. Needless to say, that in combination with several replies afterwards (including this), really made my day :) haha.

I got the Dream only a couple of weeks ago, thus still discovering its intricacies, so I am wondering: what have you found the Dream to be good at/for, and less good at?
@ Wata: We've spent the last several pages basically dealing with your hurt feelings, and I don't know if you're trying to troll, but just stop.
Can we agree to move on and not discuss anything Noble-related besides their actual products for maybe 7 days?
@ranfan: the Dream sounds interesting, what genres does it specialize in?
Well I for one, know far less about the Dream than @flinkenick (perhaps he can better comment). But during my brief listen at CanJam and local audio festival, the Dream impresses me the most with its dynamic lows/bass. It's deep, and has a lot of power behind. Which comes with a consequence of making the presentation a bit dark. So it may not suit songs that require a lot of details, and clarity. IMO the Dream is better suited to EDM/Electronics genre, as well as Rock/Metal, and songs with male vocals and lots of bass. Female vocals sound a bit darker to my liking.

Then again, this was just my experience from my fallible memory. Yours may differ from mine. :) Cheers

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #1,675 of 39,414
Well I for one, know far less about the Dream than @flinkenick (perhaps he can better comment). But during my brief listen at CanJam and local audio festival, the Dream impresses me the most with its dynamic lows/bass. It's deep, and has a lot of power behind. Which comes with a consequence of making the presentation is a bit dark. So it may not suit songs that require a lot of details, and clarity. IMO the Dream is better suited to EDM/Electronics genre, as well as Rock/Metal, and songs with male vocals and lots of bass. Female vocals sound a bit darker to my liking.

Then again, this was just my experience from my fallible memory. Yours may differ from mine. :) Cheers[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the impressions- it sounds almost LCD-2ish. I usually like something with decent bite for metal, so these might not fit what I'd want for that genre, but I bet they'd be awesome for stadium rock and electronic, like you said. I'll look forward to more impressions (and Nic's review!)

May 30, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,676 of 39,414
Nic's elegant pig fart joke was one the first thing I saw logging in to HF yesterday. Needless to say, that in combination with several replies afterwards (including this), really made my day :) haha.
Nothing quite as good as starting your day with pig fart jokes! :smile:

May 30, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,677 of 39,414
May 30, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #1,678 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back