flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #14,236 of 39,414
why not tho? I've always had the idea that the source and the cable should sound as uncolored as possible and the only thing that heavily colors the sound is the iems. I know synergy is important but I just don't see the importance of a warm or dark sounding source unless you bought an iem that is too bright and thin for your taste and vice versa. But then again most people buy iems then realize they want to tweak it. Time to eat my words

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #14,238 of 39,414
I tried to stay balanced...but you know how the game works. If you publish opinions based on short trial, on a demo that could be defective, and completely destroy an IEM, you are bound to have the premises of your opinion questioned. I honestly appreciate your impression thread, there is a lot of info in there, but you know your stance is voluntarily provocative, so it is bound to get some blowback. Doesn't mean we're the Layla gang attacking you. To be honest I would be happy if it sucked, I would save money.

I do get where you're coming from but it's also hard to determine if something is defective. There is a quite a hard distinction between sounding "bad" and sounding "broken" and the Layla that I heard didn't have any of the characteristics of the latter (phase inversion, channel imbalance, extreme holes in FR etc.). If it is defective, then it is in a way that is not immediately obvious in which case I also can't be expected to know. I also don't want to assume that everything that sounds bad is automatically broken because that's a huge slippery slope.

Being "provocative" is an unfortunate side effect of the way I do things. While others usually talk mostly about the things they like (understandable because why would you invest time and effort into something you don't like) I go out of the way to get solid impressions of everything that I've listened and then talk about them, regardless of whether I like them or not. So yeah, unfortunately I cannot say good things for all the hundreds of IEMs I've tried but it'll also be inconsistent of me to only talk about the things I like.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #14,239 of 39,414
I do get where you're coming from but it's also hard to determine if something is defective. There is a quite a hard distinction between sounding "bad" and sounding "broken" and the Layla that I heard didn't have any of the characteristics of the latter (phase inversion, channel imbalance, extreme holes in FR etc.). If it is defective, then it is in a way that is not immediately obvious in which case I also can't be expected to know. I also don't want to assume that everything that sounds bad is automatically broken because that's a huge slippery slope.

Being "provocative" is an unfortunate side effect of the way I do things. While others usually talk mostly about the things they like (understandable because why would you invest time and effort into something you don't like) I go out of the way to get solid impressions of everything that I've listened and then talk about them, regardless of whether I like them or not. So yeah, unfortunately I cannot say good things for all the hundreds of IEMs I've tried but it'll also be inconsistent of me to only talk about the things I like.
can I take this chance to ask you what iems you listen to on a daily basis?

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #14,240 of 39,414
can I take this chance to ask you what iems you listen to on a daily basis?

On the go I have my own N8 that's modified to have a cleaner bass boost. i hardly use IEMs on my desktop since I have a (also) heavily modified HD800 (Superdupont, extra padding, Micro BL bass boost, specific EQ profiles etc.) that's tuned to my perception of neutral on nearfields. If I do use IEMs it's usually just the backlog of review units that I have.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #14,241 of 39,414
On the go I have my own N8 that's modified to have a cleaner bass boost. i hardly use IEMs on my desktop since I have a (also) heavily modified HD800 (Superdupont, extra padding, Micro BL bass boost, specific EQ profiles etc.) that's tuned to my perception of neutral on nearfields. If I do use IEMs it's usually just the backlog of review units that I have.
Oh, about the N8, did 64 Audio not make any fixes? I know there's supposed to be an explanation for the bass changes but are they changing their manufacturing from now on? I kind of lost my respect for 64 a little bit, do they measure before shipping iems? (also some respect was lost cause of mim)

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #14,242 of 39,414

Fair enough. I always comment when I don't like. When I first tried the FMJ Layla it sounded dry in the mids. In any case I didn't feel we were taking shots.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #14,243 of 39,414
why not tho? I've always had the idea that the source and the cable should sound as uncolored as possible and the only thing that heavily colors the sound is the iems. I know synergy is important but I just don't see the importance of a warm or dark sounding source unless you bought an iem that is too bright and thin for your taste and vice versa. But then again most people buy iems then realize they want to tweak it. Time to eat my words
I don't find LPG and WM1Z overly colored. I think it is more of having a personality. Pure reference bores me. The LPGT sounds like the PP8. Some like it. It sounds correct. Not my 2 girls 1 cup.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #14,245 of 39,414
You could sell your DX150 and pick up a used DX200 or a WM1A. You would still have around $2500. You could pick up a U18 for $2100 at 64Audio B-Stock sale. You could use the remaining $400 for a cable or get the 1A modded at Music Sanctuary. U18+1A pairing is really a nice one.
I was very tempted to take something from the B-Stock sale but I really wanted to audition a few things at CanJam before dropping that kind of money on something I have never heard. Unfortunately they are sold out now. I'm hoping they give a CanJam discount.

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #14,246 of 39,414
Boo, you party pooper mim. You deserve ti have FMJ Laylas permanently fused to your ears.

[QUOTE="pithyginger63, post: 14760238, member: 491326"I've always had the idea that the source and the cable should sound as uncolored as possible and the only thing that heavily colors the sound is the iems. I know synergy is important but I just don't see the importance of a warm or dark sounding source unless you bought an iem that is too bright and thin for your taste and vice versa. But then again most people buy iems then realize they want to tweak it. Time to eat my words[/QUOTE]
Not sure about cable since the point of it is minor tweaks to the sound. But Ive always aimed for an uncoloured DAP so the cable and IEMs are the only thing coloring it.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #14,247 of 39,414
I have been following on this thread for a while. I have sold off a bunch of my home gear to focus on portable. I'm looking at TOTL IEM. My budget is about $3k total including a DAP.

I currently have the Bravado CIEM, Polaris and the IBasso DX150. The new DX220 is on my radar for DAPS. For now, I'm happy with the DX150.

The EE Nemesis, EE LX, 64 Audio A6t and A12t are on my short list. I really like the sound of the Bravado and would like something to compliment it. I tend to like a W sound signature. Something more revealing than the Bravado and maybe a little more sparkle in the treble. I had the Legend X uni on loan for about a week and seriously liked it.

I'm also to universals. I usually don't have issues with fit. I auditioned the Noble K10 and really like them as well.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.
Legend X is really special and I enjoyed them tremendously while I had them on loan. The others I have not heard, but if you might still consider CIEMs, then I can highly recommend a closer look at the Vision Ears VE8. I demoed them a while back and would love to hear them again, but they are CIEM-only. If you want to give them a try, certainly contact VE directly and they will help you with a demo (they ended up sending their entire line to my audiologist when I asked).

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #14,248 of 39,414
Legend X is really special and I enjoyed them tremendously while I had them on loan. The others I have not heard, but if you might still consider CIEMs, then I can highly recommend a closer look at the Vision Ears VE8. I demoed them a while back and would love to hear them again, but they are CIEM-only. If you want to give them a try, certainly contact VE directly and they will help you with a demo (they ended up sending their entire line to my audiologist when I asked).
I'll do some research on the VE. Thanks for the tip!

I'm also looking at JH Audio. They'll do impressions for free at CanJam and they were on my short list as well.

Does anyone have experience with JH Audio?

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #14,249 of 39,414
Boo, you party pooper mim. You deserve ti have FMJ Laylas permanently fused to your ears.

[QUOTE="pithyginger63, post: 14760238, member: 491326"I've always had the idea that the source and the cable should sound as uncolored as possible and the only thing that heavily colors the sound is the iems. I know synergy is important but I just don't see the importance of a warm or dark sounding source unless you bought an iem that is too bright and thin for your taste and vice versa. But then again most people buy iems then realize they want to tweak it. Time to eat my words/QUOTE]
Not sure about cable since the point of it is minor tweaks to the sound. But Ive always aimed for an uncoloured DAP so the cable and IEMs are the only thing coloring it.
what dap do you use at the moment, and what do you think of ibasso? I'm thinking of getting a dx220 when it lands, though I can't get a solid idea of how it would compare with a chord mojo in terms of texture and resolution. I consider the mojo to be a warm source and have been looking for something more neutral to replace it but I don't want to compromise on resolution.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #14,250 of 39,414
what dap do you use at the moment, and what do you think of ibasso? I'm thinking of getting a dx220 when it lands, though I can't get a solid idea of how it would compare with a chord mojo in terms of texture and resolution. I consider the mojo to be a warm source and have been looking for something more neutral to replace it but I don't want to compromise on resolution.
AK SE100, because a desktop grade Sabre in portable format was too hard to pass up at $1700.

Ive never tried iBasso and I tend to stay away from Chinese OEMs for reasons yall may find odd. But I've heard nothing but good things, if you intend to swap amps, they are useful for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back