flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 31, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #14,071 of 39,414
Fibae 4's top firing driver sounds like a tia or a truetone driver to me. What are the similarities/differences? I think there are two implemented in the design?

I'm starting to feel Custom Art's new Fibae flagship is the next iem to get. I'm gonna blind buy it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #14,072 of 39,414
Fibae 4's top firing driver sounds like a tia or a truetone driver to me. What are the similarities/differences? I think there are two implemented in the design?

I'm starting to feel Custom Art's new Fibae flagship is the next iem to get. I'm gonna blind buy it.

Im seconding this, it clocks under the cheapest IEM I currently own by enough that a blind buy could be justified. Ive already been considering the Harmony 8.2, but the price I might as well go for a full on TOTL.

Plus Im curious about stuff in this post drivers war era. And say how a 4-6 BA can be comparable to a 14 BA.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #14,073 of 39,414
Im seconding this, it clocks under the cheapest IEM I currently own by enough that a blind buy could be justified. Ive already been considering the Harmony 8.2, but the price I might as well go for a full on TOTL.

Plus Im curious about stuff in this post drivers war era. And say how a 4-6 BA can be comparable to a 14 BA.
(sell me your 14 BA)
in all seriousness, I actually haven't tried anything from Custom Art yet and I'd love for my first purchase from them be a Fibae flagship. My guess is it'll be an 8 or 9 driver.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #14,074 of 39,414

It’s definitely more in line with True Tone. Tia does not use a tube, while True Tone and these top-firing drivers do. As soon as I received the first photos for the FIBAE 4 to put in the interview, my immediate comment to Piotr was, “Looks like a bunch of top/side-firing drivers to me.” Now I know what his laughs and winks during the open-faced-driver questions were all about. :D

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #14,075 of 39,414
Let's see if we can do something about that and get some proper "Niconian" high-end gear in the picture. Such as some way too expensive cables I shared my impressions on in the high-end cable thread...

Very good write-up Wyville! I agree with you on the SilverFi IEM-X. It is neutral but not a boring neutral. It has some special timbre/warmth going on. Lately I have been matching IEMs with cables that accentuate the strengths of the IEM. Therefore I currently have the Rhapsodio Eden (Timbrelicious) paired with the IEM-X. Double Timbrelicious going on. Thank you @SeeSax for joint custodial rights (with visitation rights upon request).

Collin had David at Triton Audio shape them better for him and they actually fit extremely well for me. The Eden tends to work its way out of my ear canal over time. With the IEM-X they stay in. They have nowhere to go. It is like having a tiny comfortable cast wrapped around my ear. No family members have signed the cast yet.

Numerous posts back someone asked how they look when formed better for the user. Therefore I showered and almost shaved and asked a random family member to take the below pictures. Oddly enough they have stopped asking any questions when it comes to audio items and odd requests I make.

IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0298.JPG

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #14,076 of 39,414
Now that I have a computer in front of me and nobody needing anything at home I wanted to post a pic of an enjoyable combination I finally synergied.
I stack, I like my Andro S, I cannot stand hiss, I like very much my Triton4 24.5 two pin cable and I will have my iPhone SE until it dies. And I enjoy Tidal and it cannot die.

Thank you Sony PHA-2A for taking the hiss away. Thank you someone for selling their Triton4 24.5 with MMCX termination. All that is missing is to reterminate the Triton4 24.5 with a 4.4mm.

20190131_210634.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #14,077 of 39,414
It’s definitely more in line with True Tone. Tia does not use a tube, while True Tone and these top-firing drivers do. As soon as I received the first photos for the FIBAE 4 to put in the interview, my immediate comment to Piotr was, “Looks like a bunch of top/side-firing drivers to me.” Now I know what his laughs and winks during the open-faced-driver questions were all about. :D
I haven't heard any of the new ultimate ears earphones. I remember people saying that the true tone drivers have excellent treble extension. Then again I also remember people being very disappointed with the UE Live. I guess it was just badly tuned/implemented. Maybe Piotr can do a better job of it

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #14,078 of 39,414
All that is missing is to reterminate the Triton4 24.5 with a 4.4mm.
well, getting in touch with David at Triton and getting this reterminated should be a piece o cake. And extremely affordable too. Contact him and I think you'll be surprised by the fair quote you get. @alpha421 is his handle. I've bought at least two things from him in the past and turnaround time is fast.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #14,079 of 39,414
ok guys, I'm ready for customs. So far, only enjoyed unis. Because it's my first time, and I don't know what to expect with my ear anatomy (no idea how 'challenging' it is) I'm inclined to stick with a US company (64 etc). Is that generally the recommended approach for first timers? I have to believe that 'refits' within the quality guarantee period are easier to navigate when keeping it stateside.

Secondly, I'm a bit nervous about dropping coin on something I can't resell easily. I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong with the A12t based on impressions and graphs (and the fact that I love my U10), BUT... I'm very used to using IEMs with foam tips as they attenuate spikes and make treble more linear. Going with customs would be closer to using silicone tips but with treble spikes shifted higher due to the resonance change with less volume between the nozzle and the ear drum. Presumably, that's what's going to happen, and the higher up the FR chart the spike/resonance is, the more tolerable it is for me. Then again, you never know based on my anatomy (2nd bend to drum etc) where this resonance will end up.

So, perhaps the path here is that I get a decent IEM that's not too expensive my first time around? Simply because I don't know what to expect with customs. Or, perhaps there are IEMs that have tech that reduces the effect of these resonances, which would give me a bit more confidence going custom.

Anyway, advice is much appreciated and I thank you guys in advance.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #14,080 of 39,414
ok guys, I'm ready for customs. So far, only enjoyed unis. Because it's my first time, and I don't know what to expect with my ear anatomy (no idea how 'challenging' it is) I'm inclined to stick with a US company (64 etc). Is that generally the recommended approach for first timers? I have to believe that 'refits' within the quality guarantee period are easier to navigate when keeping it stateside.

Secondly, I'm a bit nervous about dropping coin on something I can't resell easily. I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong with the A12t based on impressions and graphs (and the fact that I love my U10), BUT... I'm very used to using IEMs with foam tips as they attenuate spikes and make treble more linear. Going with customs would be closer to using silicone tips but with treble spikes shifted higher due to the resonance change with less volume between the nozzle and the ear drum. Presumably, that's what's going to happen, and the higher up the FR chart the spike/resonance is, the more tolerable it is for me. Then again, you never know based on my anatomy (2nd bend to drum etc) where this resonance will end up.

So, perhaps the path here is that I get a decent IEM that's not too expensive my first time around? Simply because I don't know what to expect with customs. Or, perhaps there are IEMs that have tech that reduces the effect of these resonances, which would give me a bit more confidence going custom.

I'm not exactly experienced since I only have one pair of customs, but I think you should hold off on purchasing right now. There's a lot of new stuff and interesting stuff coming out such as stuff with electrostatic drivers.

As for sound differences between customs and universals, I think there are two thing that jump out. First is actually more subbass and bass as a result of the increase in isolation. Secondly, I'm not sure about other people here, but before customs, I've always perceived ambient noise as part of an earphone's sound. A lot of the ambient noise I hear is like the hissing of air that you hear when you cup your ears, and I've always perceived it as part of a universal iem's treble response, particularly with silicone ear tips. With much less of this ambient noise, customs sound more coherent to me, though I'm not entirely sure if any of my observations are correct, i'm pretty bad at audio.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #14,081 of 39,414

In terms of the impression-taking process itself, it really is crucial for you to find a quality audiologist. Try looking at the websites of US-based manufacturers like 64Audio or Noble and see whether or not they recommend any audiologists in your area. The better your impressions are, the better the customs will come out. To be honest, I find the fear of fitting issues to be rather overblown nowadays. Out of the 20+ customs I’ve had, only one or two have miniscule fit issues (whicch my ears can adapt to in minutes) and I’ve never had to send one back for refit.

Read the manufacturer’s guidelines and take note of anything you might have to tell the audiologist (like whether or not to use a bite block, how deep the impressions have to be, etc.). And, when taking the impressions, try your best to sit straight and look ahead of you; turning your head excessively may cause the ear canals to slightly contract/expand and affect fit. For 64Audio specifically, I’d suggest requesting for a more relaxed fit, because their default fit is rather tight; tighter than most companes I’ve experienced. It’s excellent for isolation and professional use, but not the most ideal for casual, daily use. The ears do adjust after a week or so of daily wear, but you might as well ask for a relaxed fit and skip the adjustment period altogether.

As far as sound changes go, it really depends on how they manufacturers have tuned the IEM relative to both tip pairing and the custom version itself. For example, Joseph Mou of Jomo Audio recommends bi-flange tips for the closest custom-to-universal comparison. Piotr of Custom Art retuned the universal FIBAE 3 by ear to sound as close to the custom as possible. So, it really is case-by-case. With the A6t, I noticed that the custom had a peak that was closer to 7kHz than the 8kHz on the demo, but my colleague Nic heard a 7kHz peak on the universal, so again, it’s about finding the right tips for your ears. Generally speaking, Final Audio tips or JVC Spiral Dots are known to provide a custom-like sound.

And don’t forget, the magnitude of a peak matters more than the placement. I’ve hardly ever heard a universal that sounded worse in custom form; in the treble especially. The custom form instead tends to refine it, so you get the same amount of energy and detail, but it’s easier on the ear. One sonic benefit that a custom fit will guarantee versus a universal fit is the removal of the vacuum effect. Because a tip isn’t lodged in and pressing against the ear, you get a more relaxed, free and effortless sensation. Your ears aren’t as tense all the time, so the music comes through in a more natural way.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #14,082 of 39,414

My only tip is this. Demo, demo, demo. Make sure the sound is something you like. I believe it was Jerry Harvey who said that a universal with great seal will sound 90-95% like the actual customs. So try until you are satisfied.

Your first customs might be the start of a long love affair or a downward descent into madness. Some ears aren't compatible with customs. Like excessive wet wax, weird bends and curves etc. So it might actually be worthwhile to get a pair of ear impressions done first before shopping so the audiologist might reveal any nasty surprise beforehand.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #14,083 of 39,414
I was wondering, I've heard that when some people are getting their ear impressions done, they move their jaw around as the impression material is being injected so that the impression material fills the ear better. I was recommended to keep still. I'm wondering if anyone here moves their jaw around when getting impressions done.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #14,084 of 39,414
I was wondering, I've heard that when some people are getting their ear impressions done, they move their jaw around as the impression material is being injected so that the impression material fills the ear better. I was recommended to keep still. I'm wondering if anyone here moves their jaw around when getting impressions done.
Noooooooooooo jaw perfectly still but relaxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back