flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 26, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #13,951 of 39,414
Any one of you using NC cans for the plane? Any thoughts? Seems like the Sony is top of the pop, but the Nad Viso seems nice.

The Bowers & Wilkins PX are worth a look for NC travelling cans. Same drivers as their flagship P9 over-ears and NC that is there or thereabouts with the Sony and Bose. More of an "audiophile" tuning, although B&W aren't exactly know for being bass shy so not a million miles away from the Sony.

Jan 26, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #13,952 of 39,414
Using what via LDAC? I usually use things wired.
I meant the wireless connection to the Sony 1000mk3. I've only had one friend complain about SQ (granted these aren't SE5U level), and that was because he was using his iPhone with the SBC Bluetooth codec.

WM1Z supports the LDAC Bluetooth codec, it really sounds nice with these, I noticed an improvement when I first auditioned these. Maybe check your settings if you try again.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #13,953 of 39,414
I meant the wireless connection to the Sony 1000mk3. I've only had one friend complain about SQ (granted these aren't SE5U level), and that was because he was using his iPhone with the SBC Bluetooth codec.

WM1Z supports the LDAC Bluetooth codec, it really sounds nice with these, I noticed an improvement when I first auditioned these. Maybe check your settings if you try again.
Oh I never heard it, just answering the comments before.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #13,954 of 39,414

When it comes to sound quality, there are technical aspects and the tonal aspects. LDAC can improve the technical aspects compared to other wireless codecs. But the tonal aspects will remain the same. When I’d rather listen to the $10 Mi Earbuds over the Sony, when I don’t need wireless or ANC, then you can imagine how flawed the tuning of the Sony must be.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #13,955 of 39,414
When it comes to sound quality, there are technical aspects and the tonal aspects. LDAC can improve the technical aspects compared to other wireless codecs. But the tonal aspects will remain the same. When I’d rather listen to the $10 Mi Earbuds over the Sony, when I don’t need wireless or ANC, then you can imagine how flawed the tuning of the Sony must be.
I don't need to imagine, I own one. While it's no totl, it's not that bad either.

So did you hear it via LDAC then?

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #13,956 of 39,414
Yes, via my friend’s ZX300. It’s a typical U shaped tuning with enhanced bass and a treble peak, aimed to please mass consumers.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #13,957 of 39,414
Yes, via my friend’s ZX300. It’s a typical U shaped tuning with enhanced bass and a treble peak, aimed to please mass consumers.
Well consider this "mass consumer" satisfied.

Also, I disagree with your opinion, but that's your opinion after all.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #13,959 of 39,414

Lol. But just to clarify, its not that the Sony's tuning is completely unlistenable. Its flawed, but not horrible. Else, I would have returned it within a week. Its just that the Mi earbuds have a better tuning and tonal balance than the Sony.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #13,960 of 39,414
Thanks guys. The low SQ is not very satisfying...maybe I'll stick to CIEMs or universals.

I could also consider non-NC overears, they would isolate well enough I guess.

Another option man, to use something like cheaper QC25 over your iems/ciems, just for ANC. Actually, didn't discover that on my own. Last year Nic brought his QC25 to CanJam NYC, now I have been using these at work when in the lab. Works well with many iems, depending on the shell size, and you get an extra layer of isolation.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #13,961 of 39,414
I want to see some crude pics of it taken with your smartphone. More the earwax, you score more points. :wink:

Not a chance, bruv. :p

P.S. Click on the images for full size. :wink:

LaylaTease-1.jpg LaylaTease-2.jpg LaylaTease-5.jpg LaylaTease-4.jpg

Attachments

• LaylaTease-3.jpg
    LaylaTease-3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #13,962 of 39,414
I want to see some crude pics of it taken with your smartphone. More the earwax, you score more points. :wink:
if you want some crude pics, I'll post a pic of my abused A12t's that have been sanded down, scored with knives, and covered in nail polish. I might get them reshelled soon.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #13,965 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back