flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 13, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #13,351 of 39,414
Well, I literally know only one thing about the Janis (if it’s even the same IEM I’ve been hearing about), so I can’t speak on its tuning. But, I can say you are getting warmer. :wink:

If what you meant by tuning/tonality was the Diana’s, I can say that it’s a warm-yet-articulate IEM with a beautifully wholesome lower-midrange. If your tastes are in grunge rock or any genre for that matter with phat guitars, tom-toms and male vocals, the Diana will absolutely shine. Higher-pitched instruments like woodwinds, female balladeers and violins may sound heavier than usual, but they have more than enough clarity and definition to suffice any listening scenario. A very gutsy, wholesome, bold signature with energy and sparkle to spare - they should’ve called it the Chaka Khan. :D

It's an 8 driver design, dual armature lows, DOME mids, and quad electrostatic tweeters. I'm guessing that the 4 high freq drivers are the ones that necessitate the external adapter box. And from what I gather the box is mandatory, similar to the JH3a of old. JH is also touting some sort of DSP build into the box, although he was quite light on details.

Interesting idea. JH has not been the most aggressive player in the BA count wars for a while, and I do actually like the mids on the Lola (bass too tight on it though). Could be a very interesting design.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #13,352 of 39,414
It's an 8 driver design, dual armature lows, DOME mids, and quad electrostatic tweeters. I'm guessing that the 4 high freq drivers are the ones that necessitate the external adapter box. And from what I gather the box is mandatory, similar to the JH3a of old. JH is also touting some sort of DSP build into the box, although he was quite light on details.

Interesting idea. JH has not been the most aggressive player in the BA count wars for a while, and I do actually like the mids on the Lola (bass too tight on it though). Could be a very interesting design.

Ah, so they’re joining Noble and Jomo in the tri-hybrid race. The DSP portion is the only thing I’ve caught wind of, but it’s disappointing to hear that it requires an external box. Nevertheless, given how I’ve grown fond of JH’s tunings as of late, I can’t wait to hear what the Janis has to offer. :)

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #13,354 of 39,414
Ah, so they’re joining Noble and Jomo in the tri-hybrid race. The DSP portion is the only thing I’ve caught wind of, but it’s disappointing to hear that it requires an external box. Nevertheless, given how I’ve grown fond of JH’s tunings as of late, I can’t wait to hear what the Janis has to offer. :)

Basically my sentiment. I really liked my Layla's back when I had those, and the Lola was fun although not for me personally. The box and new connector is a small annoyance. My JH Crew membership is still active so if do decide to take the plunge, hopefully it'll be at a slightly discounted price.

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #13,355 of 39,414
Just returned to HF and noticed the Dita Fealty review on the main page. Well done / written @Wyville :thumbsup:

I had the Fealty on a loan for some weeks, before they came your way and it's one of the rare IEMs that I started missing after they were gone. They even managed to impress me more than the Dream earlier this year and the fat cable surely is a relief (ergonomically wise) compared to the 'old' (non flexible) Truth cable. If I had to start from scratch with this (bloody wallet ravaging) hobby, the Fealty would have been high on my shortlist.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #13,356 of 39,414
to my ears Zeus XR is perfect , as i have not bought another ciem since its purchase on July 2016 nor do i have any craving for one

in fact 2018 was a very good wallet year , zero dap/ciems buys and just a couple of cables for less than 250 euros (which is considered peanuts today)

SE6 is just another disrespectful product , aiming to people that are too rich , too addicted/sick/crazy or just plain lucky (like @Mimouille which got one for free)

@davidmolliere you are heading for HFA (head Fi anonymous) my friend :dt880smile:
Certainly give you props for your loyalty to Zeus XR, but I totally get it. I also think you deserve the "Restraint Award".

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #13,357 of 39,414
I also think you deserve the "Restraint Award".

this is for the people with money to burn who sit quiet - my restraint is partly to being broke :k701smile:

but seriously what keeps you sane in here is keeping perspective of the journey and enjoying the music whichever setup you have managed to acquire

i mean, i started this journey here back in 2010 with a 100$ iem and a 50$ dap , i think we are good for now

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #13,358 of 39,414
this is for the people with money to burn who sit quiet - my restraint is partly to being broke :k701smile:

but seriously what keeps you sane in here is keeping perspective of the journey and enjoying the music whichever setup you have managed to acquire

i mean, i started this journey here back in 2010 with a 100$ iem and a 50$ dap , i think we are good for now
You are correct, as a consumer, once you find that signature that checks all of your boxes, just breathe and enjoy the music. Put the wallet away for awhile. I traveled down that path chasing the next best thing and if you look at my profile you will see a list of $$$. That said, it was my only hobby at the time, I stopped golfing which is another black hole of money. Remember, it was the love of music that brought you here.

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #13,359 of 39,414
Interesting, is this your first exposure to JH IEM's? I looked at your profile and, maybe I missed them, but I didn't see any of their product.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #13,360 of 39,414
Interesting, is this your first exposure to JH IEM's? I looked at your profile and, maybe I missed them, but I didn't see any of their product.

I’ve heard every single one of them and currently own the Rosie and Layla. Look closer, bud. :p

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #13,361 of 39,414
I’ve heard every single one of them and currently own the Rosie and Layla. Look closer, bud. :p

Long time Angie fan (and owned it twice), and got to listen to most of their range at Canjam London. The Roxanne and JH16v2 were the two I enjoyed the most, Lola left me strangely unmoved as I'm a huge trick fan, but the Layla was most impressive sonically. How do you feel they stack up against the current flagships from 64/EE etc, or to previous summit-fi gear like the Zeus? Interested to hear your take on how they are holding up with the freqphase tech against some of the newer innovations.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #13,362 of 39,414
Long time Angie fan (and owned it twice), and got to listen to most of their range at Canjam London. The Roxanne and JH16v2 were the two I enjoyed the most, Lola left me strangely unmoved as I'm a huge trick fan, but the Layla was most impressive sonically. How do you feel they stack up against the current flagships from 64/EE etc, or to previous summit-fi gear like the Zeus? Interested to hear your take on how they are holding up with the freqphase tech against some of the newer innovations.

Oddly enough, I never truly appreciated what JH and co. had to offer with the Roxanne and Layla until I heard IEMs like the Prelude and Phantom. Now, I alluded to the Roxanne months ago as being a monitor capable of balancing both a reference, uncoloured tone and powerful, fibrous instruments, but I haven’t heard it since. The Layla - on the other hand - was a true revelation for me throughout the past year. Without being too specific, I admire its ability to shift its sonic profile with every track I play. In stage dimensions, instrumental forwardness and timbre, it’s the closest I’ve heard to being a true chameleon. The Phantom is second in that regard, but one could easily call the Layla a more neutral, mature and serious-sounding Phantom - less vibrant, engaging and musical, and all the more professional because of it.

FreqPhase and extension are both key contributors to its performance as well. They collaborate to form the most transparent and stable soundscapes possible, allowing the music to determine its final presentation. As far as the Layla’s concerned, I’ve heard IEMs that tick almost as many boxes as a reference piece, but I don’t think have commited to the cause as much as the Layla has. The 64Audio A18 has its slight v-shape and iridescent treble, the Zeus has its absorbing midrange and crisp top-end, etc. That’s not to say either are worse than the Layla by any stretch - they’re just less of a tool. By the same token, the Layla can come across too non-chalant and uncoloured in its delivery; apples and oranges, really.

As a technology, I absolutely think FreqPhase is still one of the most relevant innovations today. Any company who’s included varied tube lengths in their design to combat phase cancellation at least owe a bit to JH. In my work as a recording engineer, I know how important phase can be to spatial definition, transient cleanliness, dynamic impact, etc. If you use two mic’s to record different frequency ranges of a snare drum for example, and the two receive the hit at sliiiightly different times, you instantly lose at least a hint of all the aspects I mentioned. In terms of performance, I think phase management is what separates the hopefuls from the true pros - moreso than most are willing to admit.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #13,363 of 39,414
Cool, sorry I didn't see it. I was interested in your take if you were just getting into them.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #13,364 of 39,414
Ah, so they’re joining Noble and Jomo in the tri-hybrid race. :)

Race? Hyla CE-5 won it much earlier no? :ksc75smile:

In other news, I have no idea what an Isobaric Hybrid is, but I'm sitting up and listening. Do you have any news about this songbird from AAW?

aaw canary.jpg

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #13,365 of 39,414
Just to chime in about JH, I had JH13 and it's very special since it was my first CIEM. Also heard Layla which sounded divine. Don't know what they're doing with that big block lugged to Janis, but I'll just await its release.

IMG-20181213-WA0004.jpg
I believe that's their DOME thing.

IMG-20181213-WA0007.jpg
The ol' ball and chain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back