flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #11,822 of 39,158

Wyville

Headphoneus Supremus
Great thanks!
Any comparison to Campfire's Comet?
Sadly I still haven't heard anything from Campfire Audio yet.

Couldn't resist having a very brief listen to the E5000 just before going to sleep yesterday and boy are those impressive! It really goes to show that even on a budget great sound is still very much within reach.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #11,824 of 39,158

davidmolliere

Headphoneus Supremus
For a dynamic hybrid the Finsky has an amazing vocal sound. Reminds me a lot of VE5.

Now that's a strong statement! Very interesting then :)

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #11,825 of 39,158

ranfan

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that's a strong statement! Very interesting then :)
Maybe not as extended in the treble, but the separation between the bass and midrange is incredible. Soundstage is also wide enough. And the midrange is clear.

Further, although I found the VE5 sounding more intimate and warm due to its lower-midrange, the Finsky doesn't lack the body for portraying male vocals. It provides a sweet and clear sounding female vocals, and a smooth dense enough male vocals. This I suspect is partly influenced by its powerful sub-bass, and attenuation of its upper-bass. A really interesting tuning. :)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #11,826 of 39,158

fuhransahis

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe not as extended in the treble, but the separation between the bass and midrange is incredible. Soundstage is also wide enough. And the midrange is clear.

Further, although I found the VE5 sounding more intimate and warm due to its lower-midrange, the Finsky doesn't lack the body for portraying male vocals. It provides a sweet and clear sounding female vocals, and a smooth dense enough male vocals. This I suspect is partly influenced by its powerful sub-bass, and attenuation of its upper-bass. A really interesting tuning. :)
How's the fit/isolation/sound leakage?

I was so close to purchasing the E5000 yesterday but then discovered it supposedly leaks a lot of sound - I listen at kinda loud levels and will be using them on my commute on the train so no go there unfortunately. Was close to purchasing the Finschi too but it looks rather large.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #11,827 of 39,158

Wyville

Headphoneus Supremus

I was so close to purchasing the E5000 yesterday but then discovered it supposedly leaks a lot of sound - I listen at kinda loud levels and will be using them on my commute on the train so no go there unfortunately. Was close to purchasing the Finschi too but it looks rather large.
Did a little test with the E5000 and at higher volumes you can indeed hear music coming from the back vent. Not sure if it would be annoying at a little distance, but could be, especially if the commute is quite busy like the London underground. It is a bit of a shame because they sound really good and the form factor is excellent for on-the-go.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #11,828 of 39,158

fuhransahis

Headphoneus Supremus
Did a little test with the E5000 and at higher volumes you can indeed hear music coming from the back vent. Not sure if it would be annoying at a little distance, but could be, especially if the commute is quite busy like the London underground. It is a bit of a shame because they sound really good and the form factor is excellent for on-the-go.
Yeah it was a bummer learning about that. Commute is busy for sure, to and from NYC so people right next to me on the train. A local shop carries it too so could have had them today :triportsad:

Thanks for confirming the leak btw.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #11,829 of 39,158

papa_mia

500+ Head-Fier
Sadly I still haven't heard anything from Campfire Audio yet.

Couldn't resist having a very brief listen to the E5000 just before going to sleep yesterday and boy are those impressive! It really goes to show that even on a budget great sound is still very much within reach.
Hi Wyville, I have a question regards the Final E type tips, hope that you can share some lights on this: Do the black and the clear ones have any differences between them (sound/form/materiel wise) other than the colors ofcourse.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #11,830 of 39,158

Wyville

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah it was a bummer learning about that. Commute is busy for sure, to and from NYC so people right next to me on the train. A local shop carries it too so could have had them today :triportsad:

Thanks for confirming the leak btw.
It is quite interesting, as it seems to me that the E5000 leaks slightly more than my E2000, which are vented with a mesh at the back. I still don't think it would be a problem for me to use them on the Tube, but I always stay low in volume. So any leak is only audible very close up... the type of closeness that will get anyone trying it a jab of my elbow. :p
Hi Wyville, I have a question regards the Final E type tips, hope that you can share some lights on this: Do the black and the clear ones have any differences between them (sound/form/materiel wise) other than the colors ofcourse.
There is a difference in the materials they used. It does also mean a slight difference in sound, but I can't say I have ever noticed it (haven't really looked for it either). Mainly for me, I have found that I can get an easier seal with the clear ones on my Phantom than the black ones.

Final states the following:
"Compared to the black, the clear version of Type E differs slightly in terms of surface fluency and hardness, and the degree to which they are airtight changes slightly; owing to this, bass tones become a little lighter, high-pitched tones sound clear, and the sound tends toward clarity."
http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/earpiece.html

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #11,831 of 39,158

papa_mia

500+ Head-Fier
There is a difference in the materials they used. It does also mean a slight difference in sound, but I can't say I have ever noticed it (haven't really looked for it either). Mainly for me, I have found that I can get an easier seal with the clear ones on my Phantom than the black ones.

Final states the following:
"Compared to the black, the clear version of Type E differs slightly in terms of surface fluency and hardness, and the degree to which they are airtight changes slightly; owing to this, bass tones become a little lighter, high-pitched tones sound clear, and the sound tends toward clarity."
http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/earpiece.html
Oh great, I've looked everywhere but the own manufacturer's page, silly me.
Thanks man.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #11,832 of 39,158

ranfan

Headphoneus Supremus

Fit is nice, and comfortable IMO. Dynamic driver flex sound when you insert, but this is normal. Rather compact in size, and the nozzle is just the right length. Sit still in my ears, more secured compared to the big Zeus. Isolation is good, seal properly, and there is no annoying leak so far.

The size is small enough, in comparison:
P_20180814_013050.jpg

BA driver below the nozzle AKA side view:
P_20180814_014126.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #11,833 of 39,158

syke

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, as stated on the Final Audio website. From what I recalled.. Clear is treble focused, Opaque is bass focused? I prefer the whites in terms of fit. They are softer compared to the others.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #11,834 of 39,158

papa_mia

500+ Head-Fier
Fit is nice, and comfortable IMO. Dynamic driver flex sound when you insert, but this is normal. Rather compact in size, and the nozzle is just the right length. Sit still in my ears, more secured compared to the big Zeus. Isolation is good, seal properly, and there is no annoying leak so far.

The size is small enough, in comparison:
P_20180814_013050.jpg

BA driver below the nozzle AKA side view:
P_20180814_014126.jpg
A set of decently sounding IEMs with good build and appropriate priced these days?
Are you mad?

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #11,835 of 39,158

flinkenick

Headphoneus Supremus
A set of decently sounding IEMs with good build and appropriate priced these days?
Are you mad?
Honestly, I think we should all make fun of Ranfan for not being able to afford a proper $5K iem.

Users who are viewing this thread