flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #11,386 of 39,414
well i paid 150$ for my cable and 2300$ for Zeus XR+Wm1a combined , so yeah i think i am still sane (or able to do/find smart buys)

the key word here is ''still'' , though.

Once you go "cable," you can't go back! haha

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #11,387 of 39,414
Received the Rhapsodio Eden's today. @Wyville you need to get your hands on these. I would love to hear your impressions with classical music. From what have read of your preferences I think you would like these immensely.

I love the fit of the Galaxy V1 and these are a similar fit but even better IMHO.

With a quick listen before I had to get back to real life words like Tone and Natural come to my mind. I hear a signature that I prefer. I should get my custom Phantoms in a couple weeks. I would then like to do a detailed Eden review and include a detailed comparison with the Phantom.

Thank you @Solarsammy @flinkenick and @SeeSax for helping me get my hands on these.
I would love to hear (and review) the Eden at some point. I have been taking it easy with reviews for now because of all the other stuff that needs my attention and I hope that I can soon get back to reviewing, when the Eden will certainly be towards the top of my reviewing wish list. :D

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #11,390 of 39,414
spotted on the bus to work this AM,
white andromeda
EE (cant tell which one)
IMR R1
CFA Orion
Ety (cant tell which)
Fender FXA2
Fender FXA6
Oppo PM3
Sennheiser Momentum
Kumitate Trio

welcome to hong kong
Singapore in the business district is also very easy to spot iems, many ppl using customs

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #11,391 of 39,414
Singapore in the business district is also very easy to spot iems, many ppl using customs

kongers are so obsessed with the latest fotm, universals tend to be more popular than ciems, but compared to 2ch i find it heartening to see a larger (though still poorly represented) presence of women in portable audio, it's not unusual to see younger women going to portable audio retailers shopping for iems or cables.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #11,393 of 39,414
If I witness a scene like this, I would think I'm in a dream or something.

yah, today was a little more extreme than usual, otherwise i wouldnt have brought it up. i had on my andros, the guy next to me had the EE, the guy in front of me had etys, the woman two rows in front ot me had the imr. the others i saw while getting off the bus.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #11,395 of 39,414
I'd like to see a comparison of EE Phantom vs the SE 5way Ultimate. Both are described with attributes like "natural", "organic", "warm", "smooth" and so on ......which is exactly what I am seeking for.

I am situated in the EU so I guess due to taxes its easier to deal with Spiral Ears in Poland instead of EE but if the Phantom bests the SE5U in the SQ according to the mentioned preferences I would not mind to get a universal Phantom :)

It would also be interesting to know if the Phantom would edge the SE5way in the shootout, but this only flinkenik would know :wink:

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #11,399 of 39,414
I'd like to see a comparison of EE Phantom vs the SE 5way Ultimate. Both are described with attributes like "natural", "organic", "warm", "smooth" and so on ......which is exactly what I am seeking for.

I am situated in the EU so I guess due to taxes its easier to deal with Spiral Ears in Poland instead of EE but if the Phantom bests the SE5U in the SQ according to the mentioned preferences I would not mind to get a universal Phantom :)

It would also be interesting to know if the Phantom would edge the SE5way in the shootout, but this only flinkenik would know :wink:

According to Nic, the Phantom was designed with the parameters of the shoot-out in mind, so it would undoubtedly place first above the SE5U.

Here's a comparison between the Phantom and SE5U from Nic himself:

''But the Phantom’s natural competitor is the 5-Way; that other IEM with a rare blend of timbre and performance. As with Zeus, the Phantom shares a few similarities; in the case of the 5-Way, its three-dimensional stage, and similar vocal reconstruction in terms of body and forwardness. However, they are equally defined by key differences, starting with their bass. In my opinion, the 5-Way has the best BA bass from an audiophile perspective, combining deep extension with a resolved mid-bass, natural in tone. The Phantom can’t quite match the naturalness of its bass, opting for a cleaner bass, with similar extension. The difference returns throughout the presentation. The 5-Way’s warmer tonality results in its exceedingly natural and organic signature, with warmer upper mids and a smoother treble. The Phantom trades some of its warmth for clearer, more melodious upper mids, as well as slightly greater instrument body. Its treble is a bit crisper, where the 5-Way’s is warmer, and a bit smoother. Taken together, the 5-Way has the warmer, more romantic tuning. The Phantom in turn offers greater transparency as well as a more versatile sound, while sharing a similar beauty in its timbre.''

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #11,400 of 39,414
According to Nic, the Phantom was designed with the parameters of the shoot-out in mind, so it would undoubtedly place first above the SE5U.

Here's a comparison between the Phantom and SE5U from Nic himself:

''But the Phantom’s natural competitor is the 5-Way; that other IEM with a rare blend of timbre and performance. As with Zeus, the Phantom shares a few similarities; in the case of the 5-Way, its three-dimensional stage, and similar vocal reconstruction in terms of body and forwardness. However, they are equally defined by key differences, starting with their bass. In my opinion, the 5-Way has the best BA bass from an audiophile perspective, combining deep extension with a resolved mid-bass, natural in tone. The Phantom can’t quite match the naturalness of its bass, opting for a cleaner bass, with similar extension. The difference returns throughout the presentation. The 5-Way’s warmer tonality results in its exceedingly natural and organic signature, with warmer upper mids and a smoother treble. The Phantom trades some of its warmth for clearer, more melodious upper mids, as well as slightly greater instrument body. Its treble is a bit crisper, where the 5-Way’s is warmer, and a bit smoother. Taken together, the 5-Way has the warmer, more romantic tuning. The Phantom in turn offers greater transparency as well as a more versatile sound, while sharing a similar beauty in its timbre.''

I had the Phantom universal for a while, and on the universal, the comparison was different for me. The Phantom's thicker and denser mids made it sound less airy and clear than the SE5U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back