flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #6,001 of 39,414
Well, maybe PP8 stands for Pathetic Packaging (to) Infinity (and beyond) :wink:
th

On a serious note: I've never heard the PP8 myself, but when the shape is the same as the StageDiver (I had the SD2 in the past) serie, that would definitely be a plus in my book :thumbsup:
I was interested when they launched it, but chose another path instead...
What path did you choose?

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #6,002 of 39,414
What path did you choose?
Does it really matter? All paths eventually lead to insanity and bankruptcy over here* :sweat_smile:
I think around that time I chose for the (reshell job) Zeus XR

* Edit: oh...and (almost forgot) to a bucketload of puppies for some others :dog2:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #6,003 of 39,414
Well, maybe PP8 stands for Pathetic Packaging (to) Infinity (and beyond) :wink:
th

On a serious note: I've never heard the PP8 myself, but when the shape is the same as the StageDiver (I had the SD2 in the past) serie, that would definitely be a plus in my book :thumbsup:
I was interested when they launched it, but chose another path instead...

Btw, 6K posts in this thread...not bad...not bad at all :ok_hand:

Hahaha....good point on the PP abbreviation :)

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #6,004 of 39,414
The thing that is overlooked re. the U12 is the fact that it takes a little work/money to bring out the best in that IEM. The right module, the right cable and the source paring even can be important. When the stars align it is fantastic with a huge soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6,005 of 39,414
Does it really matter? All paths eventually lead to insanity and bankruptcy over here* :sweat_smile:
I think around that time I chose for the (reshell job) Zeus XR

* Edit: oh...and (almost forgot) to a bucketload of puppies for some others :dog2:
We shall just have to rob a bank...
d0307afc18bb117c88b6def770b66dfb.gif

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #6,006 of 39,414
If it's half as good as people say it is, then its stock tips are a terrible detriment to its performance. Its body is 3D-printed - and I'm personally a fan of the matte design - but it does look raw, and it lacks the shiny coat of lacquer that every other TOTL IEM has.
Lol, can confirm stock tips are garbage. When I first used it, I had a set of Acoustune AET07 tips and it sounded fine,. I began switching to stock tips thinking "let's hear how InEar intended it to be", and it was a mess.

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,007 of 39,414
Hey, @Wyville
Getting the puppies may not be the way to TOTL headphones...my beloved labradoodle, Ozzie, just had procedures at the vet for multiple "lumps" he developed on his body (he's 8 years old, past puppyhood, but that happens at some point), Had surgery yesterday, came home with the cone on his neck (very sad sight).
The price tag: $11800+!
Maybe it's not that expensive in England, but this may put holiday TOTL shopping on hold in these parts again, sob...
(maybe I should sell something...)

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #6,008 of 39,414
Hey, @Wyville
Getting the puppies may not be the way to TOTL headphones...my beloved labradoodle, Ozzie, just had procedures at the vet for multiple "lumps" he developed on his body (he's 8 years old, past puppyhood, but that happens at some point), Had surgery yesterday, came home with the cone on his neck (very sad sight).
The price tag: $11800+!
Maybe it's not that expensive in England, but this may put holiday TOTL shopping on hold in these parts again, sob...
(maybe I should sell something...)
Poor Ozzie! Coming home with the "Cone of Shame". I hope they were benign and that he recovers well!

Yeah, surgery on pets can be very expensive and we have taken that into consideration during our negotiations. :wink: The UK has excellent pet insurance, as the UK is a pet- and especially dog-loving country, and we will keep savings in reserve so that our dogs can go to Fitzpatrick Referrals, also known on tv as The Supervet, when needed. (My wife actually still wants to collaborate with Fitzpatrick on canine cancer research.)

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #6,009 of 39,414
There is such a thing as pet insurance here in the States, but it isn't cheap, and doesn't cover a whole lot when you do get it, very few people get it...
Hopefully the biopsies on the lumps removed are all OK...(that was a typo above, the cost was over $1800, but pretty nice iem you can get for that...)

(tried to post some doggie pics, but my office internet seems to be blocking my sending it from my phone, I'll try later...)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #6,010 of 39,414
There is such a thing as pet insurance here in the States, but it isn't cheap, and doesn't cover a whole lot when you do get it, very few people get it...
Hopefully the biopsies on the lumps removed are all OK...(that was a typo above, the cost was over $1800, but pretty nice iem you can get for that...)

(tried to post some doggie pics, but my office internet seems to be blocking my sending it from my phone, I'll try later...)
Yes, let's hope it is all okay.

Well, the costs at Fitzpatrick are quickly up to $8,000-10,000, so I hadn't even realised it was a typo. Could do a nice shootout with that! :D

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #6,011 of 39,414
sorry to hear of your doggie surgery expenses doctorjazz! that can put a big dent in your audio budget for sure.
Best wishes to Ozzie and hope the "cone of shame" comes off soon and he is barking up the right tree
for a labradoodle again soon!!!!! i lost one of my two dogs last spring and her daughter is still moping and needs many
treats to feel whole again.....of course pets are priceless and usually last longer than audio gear.....

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #6,012 of 39,414
Nov 17, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #6,013 of 39,414
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #6,015 of 39,414
Bravo!!! An excellent review and you've got some awesome writing skills indeed :thumbsup:
aaab9f9e4c0573064914f3c1cf4b071b4e6f58b9.gif

Really enjoyed it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back