flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #5,986 of 39,414
Hi!

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it.

At the moment I am down at 2 IEMS, UE 18 Pro+ and the Prophile 8.

I wonder if the Prophile 8 will be included in top 10 or 20 atleast?
No review for the Inear Prophile 8 in THL but I hope it will be included in the best IEM list.

Thanks!
@Mimouille seemed to like them:
https://headpie.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/prophile-8-review-by-mimouille.html

I also remembered coming across a review by @Ultrainferno on Headfonia a while back:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-inear-prophile-8-high-prophile/

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #5,987 of 39,414
Hi!

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it.

At the moment I am down at 2 IEMS, UE 18 Pro+ and the Prophile 8.

I wonder if the Prophile 8 will be included in top 10 or 20 atleast?
No review for the Inear Prophile 8 in THL but I hope it will be included in the best IEM list.

Thanks!

Personally, I think the ProPhile 8 is nowhere near the IEMs in the shoot-out in terms of sound quality. I recognise the amount of acclaim it's received from others, but I've tried multiple PP8's, and I've come back with the same impressions: Veiled, messy, hazy and unnatural. There's a smeared quality to its sound, and it sounds like a lack of top-end extension mixed with a light bass response, a flat upper-midrange, and an accentuated treble. It's a strange-sounding IEM with no semblance of control, cleanliness or coherence, and I'd go for the UE18+ without a doubt if I were you.

59779464.jpg

Don't forget Empire Ears. :D Hold on to your wallets.

I saw Sound Proof Bros. (EE's dealer in Thailand) promote a 15-20% discount on all of their products on Instagram. I don't think there have been any official announcements from EE though.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #5,988 of 39,414
Personally, I think the ProPhile 8 is nowhere near the IEMs in the shoot-out in terms of sound quality. I recognise the amount of acclaim it's received from others, but I've tried multiple PP8's, and I've come back with the same impressions: Veiled, messy, hazy and unnatural. There's a smeared quality to its sound, and it sounds like a lack of top-end extension mixed with a light bass response, a flat upper-midrange, and an accentuated treble. It's a strange-sounding IEM with no semblance of control, cleanliness or coherence, and I'd go for the UE18+ without a doubt if I were you.

In the end, the PP8 didn't work for me, as it lacked engagement and I just could not keep it. But I really don't recognized the qualifiers you are using, I wonder if it is a matter of tip or source. They can sound unnatural in a way, but they are very clear and precise, nowhere near veiled and hazy to my ears.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #5,989 of 39,414
Don't forget Empire Ears. :D Hold on to your wallets.
Yes of course...Empire Ears. Now, I was lucky to stumble on some great pré-BF (also EE) sale in the classifieds.
I just forgot about my wallet (and that I was saving up for something else) for a moment :grin:

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #5,990 of 39,414
In the end, the PP8 didn't work for me, as it lacked engagement and I just could not keep it. But I really don't recognized the qualifiers you are using, I wonder if it is a matter of tip or source. They can sound unnatural in a way, but they are very clear and precise, nowhere near veiled and hazy to my ears.

Perhaps I should've expanded upon this in my original post, but the PP8's haziness isn't the typical kind. A veil would suggest a lack of clarity due to a warmer mid-bass or a lack of treble extension, but in this case, it's because of its dirty background. The PP8 has a brighter overall tonal balance due to its accentuated treble and subdued bass - resulting in decent overall clarity - but its sub-par extension and accentuation of the overall treble region robs it of a black background. As a result, it lacks proper resolution and any meaningful sense of clarity, because any clearness it has is ruined by the wispy traces of air that surround each note. To use an analogy, with warm IEMs like - for example - the H8.2, there's what sounds like a dark musk permeating the stage, preventing it from achieving ultimate resolution and transparency. On the other hand, with the PP8, imagine that same musk, except - this time - it's white smoke. I don't think I can explain it any better, and - I 100% agree - this very well could've been a tip problem, but this is how I hear it.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #5,991 of 39,414
...On the other hand, with the PP8, imagine that same musk, except - this time - it's white smoke...
So, PP8 sounds a bit like this to your ears? :wink:
200.gif

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #5,992 of 39,414
Yes of course...Empire Ears. Now, I was lucky to stumble on some great pré-BF (also EE) sale in the classifieds.
I just forgot about my wallet (and that I was saving up for something else) for a moment :grin:
Come on mate, don't get distracted by all the shiny new things. I'll help you... Focus! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

anigif_original-grid-image-831-1379519371-2.gif

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #5,993 of 39,414
Come on mate, don't get distracted by all the shiny new things. I'll help you... Focus! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

anigif_original-grid-image-831-1379519371-2.gif
Me: *closes 5 tabs about VE5 review, and 1 tab about Vision Ears lineup on YouTube*

You're right. Need, to, focus. :D I better take my dog for a walk now.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #5,994 of 39,414
Me: *closes 5 tabs about VE5 review, and 1 tab about Vision Ears lineup on YouTube*

You're right. Need, to, focus. :D I better take my dog for a walk now.
You have a dog and the Warbler Prelude?! *snif* The world is so unfair. :wink:

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #5,995 of 39,414
So, PP8 sounds a bit like this to your ears? :wink:
200.gif

Man, why'd I bother writing that long analogy if I could've just posted this instead? :D

You have a dog and the Warbler Prelude?! *snif* The world is so unfair. :wink:

Just last night, my dog leapt onto my bed and almost ate my FIBAE 2. Be careful what you wish for. :p

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #5,996 of 39,414
Perhaps I should've expanded upon this in my original post, but the PP8's haziness isn't the typical kind. A veil would suggest a lack of clarity due to a warmer mid-bass or a lack of treble extension, but in this case, it's because of its dirty background. The PP8 has a brighter overall tonal balance due to its accentuated treble and subdued bass - resulting in decent overall clarity - but its sub-par extension and accentuation of the overall treble region robs it of a black background. As a result, it lacks proper resolution and any meaningful sense of clarity, because any clearness it has is ruined by the wispy traces of air that surround each note. To use an analogy, with warm IEMs like - for example - the H8.2, there's what sounds like a dark musk permeating the stage, preventing it from achieving ultimate resolution and transparency. On the other hand, with the PP8, imagine that same musk, except - this time - it's white smoke. I don't think I can explain it any better, and - I 100% agree - this very well could've been a tip problem, but this is how I hear it.

Interesting...when I tried out PP8 I liked the sound signature with the bass switch on. It's a bit bright, but I used comply tips which tamed the treble so I'm ok with it. In fact, PP8 was a strong candidate for me before I pulled the trigger on i4. It definitely has that reference signature, but of course if compared to i4, the treble is not as natural (but still within my tolerance level). The only thing I dislike about PP8 is the build quality, it doesn't really feel like a TOTL IEM and the packaging is poor for its price. YMMV :)

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #5,997 of 39,414
Just last night, my dog leapt onto my bed and almost ate my FIBAE 2. Be careful what you wish for. :p
I don't mind! I'll buy new ones, after bribing my wife with a puppy that can eat the new ones in an endless cycle of bribery and replacement. :sweat_smile:

pit-bull-alarm-clock-2.gif

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #5,998 of 39,414
Interesting...when I tried out PP8 I liked the sound signature with the bass switch on. It's a bit bright, but I used comply tips which tamed the treble so I'm ok with it. In fact, PP8 was a strong candidate for me before I pulled the trigger on i4. It definitely has that reference signature, but of course if compared to i4, the treble is not as natural (but still within my tolerance level). The only thing I dislike about PP8 is the build quality, it doesn't really feel like a TOTL IEM and the packaging is poor for its price. YMMV :)

If it's half as good as people say it is, then its stock tips are a terrible detriment to its performance. Its body is 3D-printed - and I'm personally a fan of the matte design - but it does look raw, and it lacks the shiny coat of lacquer that every other TOTL IEM has.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #5,999 of 39,414
If it's half as good as people say it is, then its stock tips are a terrible detriment to its performance. Its body is 3D-printed - and I'm personally a fan of the matte design - but it does look raw, and it lacks the shiny coat of lacquer that every other TOTL IEM has.

Yep, perhaps the tips play a big role. And I just can't stand the packaging, it's totally pathetic.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #6,000 of 39,414
Yep, perhaps the tips play a big role. And I just can't stand the packaging, it's totally pathetic.
Well, maybe PP8 stands for Pathetic Packaging (to) Infinity (and beyond) :wink:
th

On a serious note: I've never heard the PP8 myself, but when the shape is the same as the StageDiver (I had the SD2 in the past) serie, that would definitely be a plus in my book :thumbsup:
I was interested when they launched it, but chose another path instead...

Btw, 6K posts in this thread...not bad...not bad at all :ok_hand:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back