flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 1, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #38,926 of 39,414
@Deezel177 Daniel, not much to say beyond what’s already been said. Your reviews will be missed, but it’s good to hear you’ll still be around. Your service to the community will always be appreciated. Excelsior! Provehito in altum

Congratulations to @ryanjsoo & @gLer
My initial thoughts were: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

But all stories have to come to an end at some time I guess. So thanks for all your wonderful contributions / reviews over the past years Daniel! I really enjoyed reading them and I hope that many good things may come on your path in the future. Thanks and also good luck to your successors! They've got some really big shoes to fill imho :)

Btw, now I'm gonna read your LE Anima review...

Cheers!
@Deezel177 I'll keep this short and sweet, as this is still very much your stage and spotlight. Only to say that I am am humbled beyond words for the opportunity to join the THL team, and I can only hope that my contribution will add to the immense value, insight and passion you've given this entire community over the years. Here's to you Dan!

Thank you so, so much, my friends. I feel like Andy at the end of Toy Story 3, looking back at how much I've grown since I first got here. Again, I wouldn't be able to do it without you guys, and I hope you'll enjoy the rest of what I've got to offer too. :)

IdolizedSeveralAngora-size_restricted.gif

May 1, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #38,927 of 39,414

I also said a while ago that this review would be a really special one for me, personally, and it honestly has little to do with the review itself...
Your in-depth reviews and the uniquely clear and passionate voice you bring to them will absolutely be missed, though quality won't be lacking with gLer and Ryan (contining to) taking over for THL. :)

But I'm sure it's bittersweet as you unload that massive burden off your shoulders and can more casually hang out here :) And that means that some of us might be able to get you into trying out more full-size gear too *cough cough* 👀

May 1, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #38,928 of 39,414
And, she’s live!

After a ton of typing, my review of the Lime Ears Anima is now up on THL! It’s an in-ear to me that isn’t afraid to add color to the TOTL space with its crisp, airy sound and huge, bouncy instruments. So, give it a read if that sounds like the in-ear for you, and don’t forget to hit @Rockwell75 and @mvvRAZ up for their respective tours, if you’re keen to give it a go too. :)

I also said a while ago that this review would be a really special one for me, personally, and it honestly has little to do with the review itself. It’s more about the announcement I’m about to make, because I felt that - given Lime Ears was where my reviewing career started - it’d be a fitting way to announce its end as well. I’m relieved to finally, finally announce that 2022 will be my final year as an audio reviewer. As soon as I finish my remaining reviews, which I expect to be around June or July, I’ll be stepping down from THL and putting down the pen for good.

I made this decision in August of last year, and it was - thank God - a really easy one for me to make. When Nic offered me the THL gig all the way back in 2017, I’d just graduated from college, but I hadn’t yet found my place in church. I did little more than watch a mix console 3 times a week, and I spent the rest of my time watching YouTube videos or playing video games. So, when the offer came, so did an opportunity to be productive and do something very much outside my comfort zone. Still, I always, always knew: Whenever God wanted to tag me in and get me going at church, I’d be ready to leave this gig behind in a heartbeat.

And, that’s what came to pass late last year. Recording, mixing and mastering jobs began piling up. My passion for drumming is stronger than ever. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to play and make music with my own band. We start laying tracks for my first original song in a few days, in fact. And, all of that has coincided with less and less of a drive to continue writing, which is how I realized the time had come for me to close this chapter of my life, and move on to bigger and better things.

It’s an extremely cheesy thing to say (as this entire post will probably come off to all of you), but these past 5 years have probably been the most formative of my life; just second to my college years. For the first time ever, I was thrown into the deep end of having actual, professional responsibilities. I had to face dog-eat-dog competition, which - more than you guys can ever believe - was often toxic, bitter and anxiety-inducing. Boy, do I have stories. And, I also learned the value of pacing myself and not letting work overshadow my mental health. These were experiences that changed me infinitely for the better, and I can look back on them now as gifts, rather than burdens.

I also learned that duty import taxes here in Jakarta are borderline criminal, but that’s for another discussion.

Above all (and I warned y’all this was gonna be cheesy), though, it was the relationships I got to build along the way that truly calcified this experience for me. Beyond all the brands I’ve worked with, the support that you guys, as a community across forums and across threads, have given me has been nothing short of riveting. From all the OG’s (you know who you are) who I barely see on the site anymore, to all of you guys now who are too many to name, it’s honestly your words of encouragement that have made every keystroke, every photo set and every hour I’ve spent on Lightroom worthwhile. :D I can say with absolute certainty that I would’ve made this post a long time ago if it wasn’t for all of you, so, from the very bottom of my heart, thank you.

With all that said, this (and my aforementioned remaining reviews) won’t be the end of me on Head-Fi either. I’ll still post and share like I usually do. I may throw in some fun content like a casual interview, or impressions of an IEM I might have tried on a trip, or some stuff from my recording/mixing/mastering sessions. To start, I’m planning a no-holds-barred AMA about my experiences as soon as I officially leave THL. So, if you ever wanted to ask a reviewer anything at all, you can start getting your Q’s ready. But, yeah, though it won’t be as often or lengthy (which may even be a good thing for some of you), the door will always be open for new content to come in. At the same time, I really, really look forward to the day when I can visit Singapore or Japan without having to worry about capturing enough content for Head-Fi. It’s such an alien concept to me at this point, and the mere thought of it sounds like an absolute relief.

As far as my replacement on THL goes, I’m handing the reins to the TOTL segment over to my ever-reliable colleague: @ryanjsoo. He’s been a writer for the site longer than me, and he’s truly long-overdue for an opportunity like this. He never ceases to write like a pro, and I've basically stolen everything I know about IEM photography from him, so I assure you guys that my spot will be in very, very good hands.

Now, the guy taking over Ryan’s spot on THL is someone all of you will likely be familiar with. As Nic heralded me onto the team with his retirement post, I’m incredibly honored to welcome our very own @gLer onto the THL team!

474900.jpg

Again, he’ll be taking over Ryan’s $1000-1500 segment on the site, and, as most of you will probably agree, I trust that he’ll be more than capable for the task at hand; both visually and aurally. Plus, along with folks like @Rockwell75, @aaf evo, @Damz87, etc., I’m very relieved to see the community has a ton of great movers well-integrated within it already, so you don’t need reviewers like me to introduce new stuff when they come out. It’s a more actual-customer-driven market now that wouldn’t have been imaginable back when I started out. And, with IEM tours becoming more and more frequent too, I’m happy to see brands and dealers embrace the change just as much.

To close this very long, very sentimental post, I want to again reiterate the love I have for this hobby and this community. I stumbled onto Head-Fi a shy, awkward teen who’d shudder at the thought of interacting with any stranger, let alone online. And, now, I’m an almost-married (almost-engaged, technically) adult announcing his retirement from a five-year stint reviewing world-renowned audio products to a community of hundreds of genuine companions. As every beautiful development in my life has been, it’s a storyline only a being as out-there as God could’ve come up with, and I can’t tell you how grateful I am for it all. In lieu of bigger, deeper, more adequate words, all I have left to say is thank you… thank you… thank you.

Cheers,
Daniel

Congrats, Daniel, on your pending engagement and decision to move on from reviewing at THL. I will say as I’m sure others will agree that you were influential in several of my flagship purchases. Your ability to articulate exacting details will surely be missed. ✌️

May 1, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #38,929 of 39,414
Thank you so, so much, my friends. I feel like Andy at the end of Toy Story 3, looking back at how much I've grown since I first got here. Again, I wouldn't be able to do it without you guys, and I hope you'll enjoy the rest of what I've got to offer too. :)

That looks like a young Loki.

May 1, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #38,930 of 39,414

Thank you for your imposing contributions and congrats to gLer! And I also think this is like Toy Story 4 where Woody heads off to his new adventure with Bo Peep! I’m excited for you, the only constant is change :wink:

May 1, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #38,931 of 39,414
@metaljem77, “the only constant is change,” I’m with you on that bit of philosophy!

May 1, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #38,932 of 39,414
I had great fit. The demo unit I heard and the universal unit I purchased sounded different in the highs. But I have no way of confirming there was a difference. Very happy with the CIEM though regardless.
I didn't like Jewel on my first listen. Now, I love it. Not sure what happened, but this happens in audio. Our mind has a much bigger impact on how we hear things than our ears do. I have to fight constantly to remove the brain bias by tricking myself to hear things the way they are rather than what I expect them to be.

May 1, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #38,933 of 39,414
I didn't like Jewel on my first listen. Now, I love it. Not sure what happened, but this happens in audio. Our mind has a much bigger impact on how we hear things than our ears do. I have to fight constantly to remove the brain bias by tricking myself to hear things the way they are rather than what I expect them to be.
I agree with this concept and in fact it takes me a couple hours to get used to Mason FS coming from Traillii. Before that couple hours I like the Traillii better than after that time my brain adjust and I start appreciating the FS. Same thing happens in the reverse direction.

Is the Jewell you did not like much the one that we had at CJNY22, there was some question about that one not being a good sample?

May 1, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #38,934 of 39,414
And, she’s live!

After a ton of typing, my review of the Lime Ears Anima is now up on THL! It’s an in-ear to me that isn’t afraid to add color to the TOTL space with its crisp, airy sound and huge, bouncy instruments. So, give it a read if that sounds like the in-ear for you, and don’t forget to hit @Rockwell75 and @mvvRAZ up for their respective tours, if you’re keen to give it a go too. :)

I also said a while ago that this review would be a really special one for me, personally, and it honestly has little to do with the review itself. It’s more about the announcement I’m about to make, because I felt that - given Lime Ears was where my reviewing career started - it’d be a fitting way to announce its end as well. I’m relieved to finally, finally announce that 2022 will be my final year as an audio reviewer. As soon as I finish my remaining reviews, which I expect to be around June or July, I’ll be stepping down from THL and putting down the pen for good.

I made this decision in August of last year, and it was - thank God - a really easy one for me to make. When Nic offered me the THL gig all the way back in 2017, I’d just graduated from college, but I hadn’t yet found my place in church. I did little more than watch a mix console 3 times a week, and I spent the rest of my time watching YouTube videos or playing video games. So, when the offer came, so did an opportunity to be productive and do something very much outside my comfort zone. Still, I always, always knew: Whenever God wanted to tag me in and get me going at church, I’d be ready to leave this gig behind in a heartbeat.

And, that’s what came to pass late last year. Recording, mixing and mastering jobs began piling up. My passion for drumming is stronger than ever. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to play and make music with my own band. We start laying tracks for my first original song in a few days, in fact. And, all of that has coincided with less and less of a drive to continue writing, which is how I realized the time had come for me to close this chapter of my life, and move on to bigger and better things.

It’s an extremely cheesy thing to say (as this entire post will probably come off to all of you), but these past 5 years have probably been the most formative of my life; just second to my college years. For the first time ever, I was thrown into the deep end of having actual, professional responsibilities. I had to face dog-eat-dog competition, which - more than you guys can ever believe - was often toxic, bitter and anxiety-inducing. Boy, do I have stories. And, I also learned the value of pacing myself and not letting work overshadow my mental health. These were experiences that changed me infinitely for the better, and I can look back on them now as gifts, rather than burdens.

I also learned that duty import taxes here in Jakarta are borderline criminal, but that’s for another discussion.

Above all (and I warned y’all this was gonna be cheesy), though, it was the relationships I got to build along the way that truly calcified this experience for me. Beyond all the brands I’ve worked with, the support that you guys, as a community across forums and across threads, have given me has been nothing short of riveting. From all the OG’s (you know who you are) who I barely see on the site anymore, to all of you guys now who are too many to name, it’s honestly your words of encouragement that have made every keystroke, every photo set and every hour I’ve spent on Lightroom worthwhile. :D I can say with absolute certainty that I would’ve made this post a long time ago if it wasn’t for all of you, so, from the very bottom of my heart, thank you.

With all that said, this (and my aforementioned remaining reviews) won’t be the end of me on Head-Fi either. I’ll still post and share like I usually do. I may throw in some fun content like a casual interview, or impressions of an IEM I might have tried on a trip, or some stuff from my recording/mixing/mastering sessions. To start, I’m planning a no-holds-barred AMA about my experiences as soon as I officially leave THL. So, if you ever wanted to ask a reviewer anything at all, you can start getting your Q’s ready. But, yeah, though it won’t be as often or lengthy (which may even be a good thing for some of you), the door will always be open for new content to come in. At the same time, I really, really look forward to the day when I can visit Singapore or Japan without having to worry about capturing enough content for Head-Fi. It’s such an alien concept to me at this point, and the mere thought of it sounds like an absolute relief.

As far as my replacement on THL goes, I’m handing the reins to the TOTL segment over to my ever-reliable colleague: @ryanjsoo. He’s been a writer for the site longer than me, and he’s truly long-overdue for an opportunity like this. He never ceases to write like a pro, and I've basically stolen everything I know about IEM photography from him, so I assure you guys that my spot will be in very, very good hands.

Now, the guy taking over Ryan’s spot on THL is someone all of you will likely be familiar with. As Nic heralded me onto the team with his retirement post, I’m incredibly honored to welcome our very own @gLer onto the THL team!

474900.jpg

Again, he’ll be taking over Ryan’s $1000-1500 segment on the site, and, as most of you will probably agree, I trust that he’ll be more than capable for the task at hand; both visually and aurally. Plus, along with folks like @Rockwell75, @aaf evo, @Damz87, etc., I’m very relieved to see the community has a ton of great movers well-integrated within it already, so you don’t need reviewers like me to introduce new stuff when they come out. It’s a more actual-customer-driven market now that wouldn’t have been imaginable back when I started out. And, with IEM tours becoming more and more frequent too, I’m happy to see brands and dealers embrace the change just as much.

To close this very long, very sentimental post, I want to again reiterate the love I have for this hobby and this community. I stumbled onto Head-Fi a shy, awkward teen who’d shudder at the thought of interacting with any stranger, let alone online. And, now, I’m an almost-married (almost-engaged, technically) adult announcing his retirement from a five-year stint reviewing world-renowned audio products to a community of hundreds of genuine companions. As every beautiful development in my life has been, it’s a storyline only a being as out-there as God could’ve come up with, and I can’t tell you how grateful I am for it all. In lieu of bigger, deeper, more adequate words, all I have left to say is thank you… thank you… thank you.

Cheers,
Daniel

Congrats! While I will very much miss your reviews and perspectives, I will also look forward to more of @gLer ’s stunning photos and review!

@Deezel177 I sincerely hope that you have not burned out and continue to enjoy and share your experience with us from the land of no pressure/freedom :wink:

May 1, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #38,935 of 39,414
@Deezel177 thanks for your work man! You obviously have readers beyond headfi and THL as many of your reviews have been translated to Mandarin. I found that out when some local audiophiles were referencing a few of your translated reviews lol

Hope to see you around and happy listening!

May 2, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #38,936 of 39,414
Your in-depth reviews and the uniquely clear and passionate voice you bring to them will absolutely be missed, though quality won't be lacking with gLer and Ryan (contining to) taking over for THL. :)

But I'm sure it's bittersweet as you unload that massive burden off your shoulders and can more casually hang out here :) And that means that some of us might be able to get you into trying out more full-size gear too *cough cough* 👀
Thank you, thank you, thank you, man! And, yes, quality won't be lacking for sure. :wink:

Haha, we'll see how those convincing efforts turn out. I found out long ago that the skin around my ears is somewhat sensitive, which isn't the best for wearing headphones. Perhaps, that's a blessing in disguise. But, I've also suffered more for less. Again, we'll see. :p

Congrats, Daniel, on your pending engagement and decision to move on from reviewing at THL. I will say as I’m sure others will agree that you were influential in several of my flagship purchases. Your ability to articulate exacting details will surely be missed. ✌️
Thank you so much, my friend. I hope those purchases have served you well, and I can assure you that I'll still do my best to articulate in the future as well; only in different ways. :)

Thank you for your imposing contributions and congrats to gLer! And I also think this is like Toy Story 4 where Woody heads off to his new adventure with Bo Peep! I’m excited for you, the only constant is change :wink:
Many thanks to you as well! My Bo Beep is the keyboardist in our band, in fact, so we're gonna have a lot of fun adventures for sure. We just made a fun disco arrangement to one of my mom's original songs yesterday, so I can't wait to rehearse that one. We're also headed off to SG in June with the family for the first time in almost-three years. So, I'll probably be stopping by all my old haunts, and it'd be cool if I could meet some of you guys in person (again). :)

Congrats! While I will very much miss your reviews and perspectives, I will also look forward to more of @gLer ’s stunning photos and review!

@Deezel177 I sincerely hope that you have not burned out and continue to enjoy and share your experience with us from the land of no pressure/freedom :wink:
Thanks so much, man! I'm afraid the train for me burning out left the station years ago. You can ask anyone who's seen me at CanJam SG and asked me when the last time I slept was. :D Like I said, it's the support and praise you guys give me that's kept me going this long. As much as I've grown a bit numb to IEMs and the industry in general, I never get tired of showing my work to the world, and hopefully helping people find the IEM they've been looking for along the way. To be honest, I've already felt a good bit of freedom since I made my decision to leave last year, so I hope that only continues, and you can bet that good, wholesome content will trickle down from it as well. :)

@Deezel177 thanks for your work man! You obviously have readers beyond headfi and THL as many of your reviews have been translated to Mandarin. I found that out when some local audiophiles were referencing a few of your translated reviews lol

Hope to see you around and happy listening!
Thanks for your support as well, mate! Yes, I've been made aware of the translations. :D They kindly asked for my permission to do it as well, which was very nice of them to do. But, yeah, I'll see you around, and happy listening too!

May 2, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #38,938 of 39,414
Spotted new JH IEM Sharona:
FRwVua_XoAAylnV.jpeg

https://twitter.com/KnowlesCorp/status/1521114664456921090?s=20&t=toCfgM5ikv5jiYxKmlzOPQ

@Deezel177 I will miss your nice photo and review, hope you still drop some impression/mini review in the future. Wish you all the best.
Thanks so much for your kind words, man! I'll definitely post photos and impressions whenever I can. I'm sure I'll be posting some from my upcoming Singapore trip in June, and I hope Japan opens back up by the end of the year, so I can take my long overdue trip there and try stuff as well. Thanks as well for the heads up on the Sharona! 'Looks like a very interesting IEM, especially because JH have opted out of their classic bass control for this one. I wonder why that is. I hope to hear more about it soon. :)

May 2, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #38,939 of 39,414
They opted out of their bass control because it uses the T2 connection/cable.

May 2, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #38,940 of 39,414
They opted out of their bass control because it uses the T2 connection/cable.
Hmmm... the connector on the 3D render there is square, so it's very likely not T2. The connector on their IG teaser is too dark to make out, but it looks square as well. Where did you hear they were gonna go with T2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back