flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #36,316 of 39,414
W2 is a great dongle maybe TOTL dongle as newer Lotoo S2 and first R2R dongle Cayin RU6 !

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #36,318 of 39,414
Just wanted to vent that so many IEMs i'd be interested in buying don't come in custom form (EVO, VE's new releases, Elysian X, Bird, MMR, more I can't quite remember right now). Is this a trend my stupid ear canals should be worried about? :frowning2: I know with the EVO it's a technical limitation, not sure about the others. I used to just completely ignore any IEM that isn't available in custom because I pretty much NEED them to be, but nowadays I'm trying stuff out anyway just to be able to reference them.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #36,319 of 39,414
I'd like to make a case for my good friends the Azla Xelastecs. Initially I thought they were overtaken by its flashy brother the Crystals. Because they are supposedly less sticky (I think they are quite similar there) and retain their shape better (true). I recently tried the xelastecs again, and for some IEMs they just work better IMHO. Yes, they change shape somewhat but that's the point, I get a CIEM like seal with them. The core of the crystals is harder, which helps to retain the shape, but it also makes them less comfortable to wear, in my case. Glad I still have a bunch of xelastecs and didn't throw them out prematurely..😊

Agreed on Xelastics, still one of my favorite tips!

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #36,320 of 39,414
Just wanted to vent that so many IEMs i'd be interested in buying don't come in custom form (EVO, VE's new releases, Elysian X, Bird, MMR, more I can't quite remember right now). Is this a trend my stupid ear canals should be worried about? :frowning2: I know with the EVO it's a technical limitation, not sure about the others. I used to just completely ignore any IEM that isn't available in custom because I pretty much NEED them to be, but nowadays I'm trying stuff out anyway just to be able to reference them.

Not sure why the EXT doesn't have a custom option, they are tiny and don't have bone conduction. Maybe they'll follow on with one.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #36,321 of 39,414
Not sure why the EXT doesn't have a custom option, they are tiny and don't have bone conduction. Maybe they'll follow on with one.

There is something about the venting or form factor they said wouldn't allow it...and the MEST comes in custom form so bone conduction shouldn't be a limiting factor there.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #36,322 of 39,414
There is something about the venting or form factor they said wouldn't allow it...and the MEST comes in custom form so bone conduction shouldn't be a limiting factor there.

I thought the EXT would come custom too when I signed onto the tour :p but like I said I don't mind trying universal exclusives just to be able to reference them. EE said it's not that they don't want to look into making it happen, it's just not a priority to try and figure it out at this point.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #36,323 of 39,414

I believe with the EVO it's the sheer size of the W10, I'm loving the EXT with classical, Mein Got! The bass foundation, the improved mids (there I said it), and smooth sweet treble is truly quite beautiful. Listening to the latest recording from the Berlin SO, on Beethoven’s Violin Concerto in D major, the string tone’s bringing a tear to my eye!

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #36,324 of 39,414
I believe with the EVO it's the sheer size of the W10, I'm loving the EXT with classical, Mein Got! The bass foundation, the improved mids (there I said it), and smooth sweet treble is truly quite beautiful. Listening to the latest recording from the Berlin SO, on Beethoven’s Violin Concerto in D major, the string tone’s bringing a tear to my eye!
That’s it @Rockwell75 I need to save up for the EXT not for the EVO lol

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #36,325 of 39,414
What's stage size like on EXT compared to EVO? And how does the bass compare in detail/texture/sub-bass rumble? Do you find EXT has softer/smoother upper mids?

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #36,326 of 39,414
There are many routes to nirvana, the EXT, takes a gentler route, the EVO rolls over anyone in the way. With the Totem Cable I'm not getting harsh upper mids, lower treble at all, though it remains bold, the EXT has great deep bass rumble, though not at the same level. To be honest, it's difficult comparing them, because they are both excellent, but very different at the same time. I could see using the EXT for acoustic music, folk, jazz, and classical, and the EVO for rock, big band (though that's not something I listen to very often), and big bombastic recordings like Hans Zimmer (one of the reasons I'm having trouble writing is the Dark Night Rising/EVO combination is rocking my world atm). More to come, but haven't done much head-to-head yet.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #36,327 of 39,414
I could see using the EXT for acoustic music, folk, jazz, and classical, and the EVO for rock, big band (though that's not something I listen to very often), and big bombastic recordings like Hans Zimmer (one of the reasons I'm having trouble writing is the Dark Night Rising/EVO combination is rocking my world atm). More to come, but haven't done much head-to-head yet.
I would probably use them the other way, since EVO with energetic music is too much of a good thing for me, but lifts up gentler music very nicely, and has a deft touch when the track isn't full of screaming instruments or banshees. Whereas I'd use a 'gentler' IEM to tome down the business/energy in bombastic music (which I generally don't like or listen to anyway).

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #36,328 of 39,414
Mood most of the time... I do about 4 listening sessions per day during weekdays:
1. 30mins in bed after I wake
2. At work - 2 IEMs per day
3. 1hr in the evenings after dinner - Most of these sessions are stand up listening to 2-3 IEMs to understand the differences in characteristics between IEM/DAPs
4. In bed before I sleep; but on many occasions I end up falling asleep listening
I do sleep many times while listening too but now i make it a point to remove them while i sleep and use the ECHO amazon , since i did sleep once with an ETY not a fun experience the next day haha

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #36,329 of 39,414
Had some experience with Symphonium Helios recently... must say it was quite impressive.

It sounds very clean over the entire spectrum, following a well-implemented Harman target. The staging size is medium to small, but its imaging precision is very good. There is an ample amount of space between instruments, however, at the cost of notes sounding on the thin side. Speed is fast and responsive. It's not easy to drive, but that's almost the only downside I can think of at its price.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #36,330 of 39,414
If anyone is interested, here is the Shanling M9. Just revealed and in the flesh. It's a BIG boy!

The notch is a small function screen, shows bitrate and volume. M9 sockets are backwards compatible with M8.

7EC1DB54-8386-418D-A3F9-44F7E72CF2E2.jpegA722D714-FBD6-4490-B825-518C37D2F001.jpeg327780DB-13B7-40D9-B61A-A4B2F3AE3D52.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back